Yes, Another AR Question

Not completely an AR thread but...

I'm sorry guys that this is my first post, and is made up of topics talked about a million times. I've read the first 45 pages or so of this subforum, and just want to make sure my head is in the right place. So thanks for those that don't get frustrated, and sorry to those that do.

1) Want to build an AR, mainly for some good father/son time. The way I understand it, as long as I don't have a lower, I can buy a barrel and have a local smith take care of the evil threads and lugs, and not worry about the "constructive" situation where the mere fact I was capable of doing something illegal makes me in violation of the law thing. Am I correct?

2.a.) The fact I have a trunk release latch on the floor near my driver's seat does NOT make my trunk "unlocked", correct?

2.b.) On top of transporting to the range in my trunk, I'm still running a lock through the chamber and mag well incase there is any confusion even though that doesn't count as locked and I should get the pad locks for the zippers on my soft cases. Am I missing any layers of "massprudence"? (I keep everything chamber locked and in my safe except the shotgun when at home.)

3) Things posted on social media on public pages like GOAL for example can be used to deny your Class A correct?

im a little confused with the 1st question but as for transporting it if you have a soft case and you have a trigger lock or a cable lock you are good to go most cars now have a trunk where you can open for inside or pull down a seat which you would still need a lock of some type on the firearm which you can also get a rifle case like pelican that you can just lock the case and not worrie about the gun itself. and when you have your fire arms in a safe or gun cabinet there is no need for a cable or trigger lock on the firearm...

Last edited:
Are you planning on building an AR (minus the serialized lower receiver) before getting an LTC?

That's what it looks like from context, and it seems like, although totally legal, not a great idea.

Are you planning on building an AR (minus the serialized lower receiver) before getting an LTC?

That's what it looks like from context, and it seems like, although totally legal, not a great idea.

that is what my understanding was but then I seen that he already has firearms?

Its perfectly legal so why not? I built my first upper when I was 19 in MA.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

1) Correct. You don't even need an LTC or FID to own just the upper/ barrel of an AR.

2a)That configuration is one that I would not mess around with, as far as leaving a firearm [uncased] in your trunk. I would case lock a handgun or large capacity long gun, and trigger lock a non large capacity long gun. (the trigger lock being for specifically if you leave your vehicle, as it isn't necessary for transporting non hi cap long guns)

2b) What type of firearm are we talking about? If it's a non large capacity long gun, you don't even need to trigger lock/ cable lock/ chamber lock the gun during transportation in your vehicle. Simply casing it (and that case doesn't need to be locked by law, but it's not a bad idea...*massprudence again*) will suffice. And it doesn't need to be locked in your trunk either. You can have an unloaded pump action shotgun in a zippered case lying on your back seat and you're legal. (again, for transportation, not storage in your vehicle while you're not in it.)

3) ANYTHING can be used to deny you an LTC at this time in MA. So keep your crazy Anarchy/ Armageddon/ Zombie Apocalypse daydreams off Facebook. [wink]

Last edited:
Not completely an AR thread but...

I'm sorry guys that this is my first post, and is made up of topics talked about a million times. I've read the first 45 pages or so of this subforum, and just want to make sure my head is in the right place. So thanks for those that don't get frustrated, and sorry to those that do.

1) Want to build an AR, mainly for some good father/son time. The way I understand it, as long as I don't have a lower, I can buy a barrel and have a local smith take care of the evil threads and lugs, and not worry about the "constructive" situation where the mere fact I was capable of doing something illegal makes me in violation of the law thing. Am I correct?

Correct

2.a.) The fact I have a trunk release latch on the floor near my driver's seat does NOT make my trunk "unlocked", correct?

Correct

2.b.) On top of transporting to the range in my trunk, I'm still running a lock through the chamber and mag well incase there is any confusion even though that doesn't count as locked and I should get the pad locks for the zippers on my soft cases. Am I missing any layers of "massprudence"? (I keep everything chamber locked and in my safe except the shotgun when at home.)

Not required but reasonable as when you get to a range, put it down and walk away (downrange to hang targets) it is still legally locked. [IGNORE the response about trigger/cable locks relative to any transportation issue, they don't count!]

3) Things posted on social media on public pages like GOAL for example can be used to deny your Class A correct?

Anything including your hair color (or even lack of hair) can be used to deny you any LTC.

1) Correct. You don't even need an LTC or FID to own just the upper/ barrel of an AR.

2a)That configuration is one that I would not mess around with, as far as leaving a firearm [uncased] in your trunk. I would case lock a handgun or large capacity long gun, and trigger lock a non large capacity long gun. (the trigger lock being for specifically if you leave your vehicle, as it isn't necessary for transporting non hi cap long guns)

2b) What type of firearm are we talking about? If it's a non large capacity long gun, you don't even need to trigger lock/ cable lock/ chamber lock the gun during transportation in your vehicle. Simply casing it (and that case doesn't need to be locked by law, but it's not a bad idea...*massprudence again*) will suffice. And it doesn't need to be locked in your trunk either. You can have an unloaded pump action shotgun in a zippered case lying on your back seat and you're legal. (again, for transportation, not storage in your vehicle while you're not in it.)

3) ANYTHING can be used to deny you an LTC at this time in MA. So keep your crazy Anarchy/ Armageddon/ Zombie Apocalypse daydreams off Facebook. [wink]

agreed.....but for me I don't like to chance it at all so being in a anti-2A I just lock everything during transport....but I own a car that doesn't have a trunk either and I wouldn't put anything up on fb or anything like that. no1 needs to know what you have and the "street value" of your firearms

Thanks for the responses guys.

To be clear, my entire household has all the licenses they can at this time. I live in a red town so the wife and I have sportsman restrictions on Class A, my son has his FID, and the toddler obviously has nothing.

At home everything is locked in the safe unless I'm cleaning it, and everything but the shotgun has a trigger lock in the safe. Reason being, I'm in no rush to not be 100% complaint here, lol. There is very little chance of anyone ever coming to the house that would know the difference, so I know I'm being paranoid, but would rather be safe than sorry.

In transport, even though it may not be, I tend to treat all my guns as large capacity because I want as little gray area as possible. I'll never get this sportsman restriction lifted if I have a slip up in something like driving to the range.

As to the AR build, the reason for my question is I am going to space the build out over months, and in case SHTF I don't want enough parts laying around that if put together get me jammed up. So I figure I buy the barrel and have it Mass-ed up, and I'm pretty much good to go, as I'll avoid the evil stock.

Thanks again.

you are worried about getting jammed up with having pieces lying around?

Worried? No.

Do I have a wonderful life, family, career, own guns and live in MA? Yes.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but prevention is the best medicine, and this is MA, lol.

I guess I question I because the add says "It was designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature" and I thought flash reduction was a no-no.

But I'll be honest, you fellas are making my day. Sweet!

I guess I question I because the add says "It was designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature"

The fact that the mfg put flash suppression in it's attributes would be enough to make me avoid it. I don't think the fact that they happen to call it a compensator will help much when they flat out state that it is designed reduces the flash signature.

This is what my gut is telling me as well. I'll just get a different one, and throw this in the safe/give it away if it isn't ruined once taken off.

Back
Top Bottom