• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yardsale Luger. Really!

Considering people regularly pay $1400-$1600 for Lugers not in nearly as good shape I'd say it was a pretty good weekend for yard sales up in Maine. Mag mismatch is typical, and not a huge deal.... Is that multiple crown/RC markings? I know the Erfurt Lugers are often seen with the crown / RC mark but I haven't seen many with it in multiple places and a matching pistol. Not sure if that's rare, or adds to the value but I find it interesting... Nice to see a original matched set of grips without the safety chip. Wood bottom to the mag looks solid as well, another very nice plus!

Good things happen to those that are patient, looks like by our wait paid off!

Good question on the Crown/RC stamp, and it caused me to do a little searching. Here is an excellent summary of the entire Revision Commission process, and quality control at both Erfurt and DWM.

Question: crown over RC

Bottom line, I would surmise, is that while the parts were initially rejected for possible specification reasons, if it ultimately received the C/RC stamp, then it was deemed to be functional and thus used for assembly.

It stands to reason that for a later war production, such as my 1918 Erfurt, would have had a higher likelihood of receiving earlier rejected parts that were subsequently approved by the Revision Commission - even as a stamped matching unit. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

Effing P.08 at a yard sale for $400... You lucky bastid. [wink]

I would certainly shoot that after a thorough inspection. You can buy a reproduction extractor (it will need to be fitted) and a firing pin at Numrich if you decide to put those original parts aside before shooting it.

Nice score, Martin.

This sort of thing is more common in the south where I'm told that finding guns at yard/estate sales is pretty common.

Unbelievable. I hope I did not drive past that yard sale this week-end! :) Nice score. If you are looking for another Arisaka I know a place that has a pretty nice one. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom