• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Luger Resources?

Hoping to tap into the NES brain trust here--now that I'm at the stage where I'm really leaning more towards quality over quantity in purchases, I'm planning to try to acquire a Luger, which is a piece I've wanted for some time.

While saving, I'm looking to increase my knowledge on them, like I usually try to do prior to hunting for an acquisition.

Does anyone have any recommendations on some good resources? I know Collector Grade has apparently three volumes on the Luger (and I believe it covers the Borchardt some as well), and I may try to pick it up. Googling around on Amazon and whatnot turns up some books/sources, although it's hard for me to judge their merit on my own.

I'll probably also pop over to Gunboards and see what there is in terms of recommendations.

I know some of you have one (or more) Lugers, so I was curious to see if anyone had any suggestions on where to enhance my knowledge so I can know what to look for, etc. Ideally I'd be looking for a WWI German Luger given my interest in the conflict, but I am not dead set on one.

Last edited:
If anything, they may be a good resource for your search.

Stk # R1360: $1,500– New in original box; Mauser P08 Luger 3 3/4 bbl; With Oberndorf Mauser-Werke test target.

Last edited:
It also depends on how much money you have,or want to spend and if you want a nice collectible one.
Many people go after the Nazi WWII ones,they can go from the non matching shooter to the all
matching collectors grade.

It also depends on how much money you have,or want to spend and if you want a nice collectible one.
Many people go after the Nazi WWII ones,they can go from the non matching shooter to the all
matching collectors grade.
Impressive collection! I knew you had at least a couple Lugers, but it's great to see a gallery like that. I would like a shooter, in general, with a preference for First World War in all or part. It's not something I'd plan to shoot a lot, but typically anything I purchase I want to fire at least occasionally as a matter of personal preference. 9x19 obviously makes things easier, and since I handload 9x19 I could tailor a load that would be appropriate.
3 volume by Gortz&Sturgess is a great resource
Yes, that's the set I was looking at.

Jan Stills Luger Forum. Great place to start.
t

Legacy is where I got my Luger back in ‘12. Unit marked to the MG company, 122nd Wurtemburg Landwehr, who conveniently ended their war in the Argonne in November of ‘18.
t

Attachments

• F0D85067-CAEB-4308-869B-B1553E3D0F45.jpeg
    F0D85067-CAEB-4308-869B-B1553E3D0F45.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 0977C651-969E-4C73-BF6C-604BE2709463.jpeg
    0977C651-969E-4C73-BF6C-604BE2709463.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 86470FBF-7EF0-4387-9E74-397D64601932.jpeg
    86470FBF-7EF0-4387-9E74-397D64601932.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2315D5D4-A207-480A-8DE8-2F7FC862E702.jpeg
    2315D5D4-A207-480A-8DE8-2F7FC862E702.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 13
Legacy is where I got my Luger back in ‘12. Unit marked to the MG company, 122nd Wurtemburg Landwehr, who conveniently ended their war in the Argonne in November of ‘18.
t
Wow, that looks awesome, I especially like the crown with Erfurt.

Jan Stills Luger Forum. Great place to start.
t

Very nice, thank you gentlemen.

If I ever get one it’ll be Swiss...odd ball caliber, I know...but would like for my wwii collection. Have my cmp1911 for allied, Nazi hi-power for axis, and Swiss Luger for neutral.

was waiting for @Mountain to part with his black widow, but I think it came up after I left ma?

If I ever get one it’ll be Swiss...odd ball caliber, I know...but would like for my wwii collection. Have my cmp1911 for allied, Nazi hi-power for axis, and Swiss Luger for neutral.

was waiting for @Mountain to part with his black widow, but I think it came up after I left ma?
I think so, had it listed for a while. Excellent example but typical 13 lb trigger. Decided to spend money on something I'd shoot regularly.

Wouldn't mind getting one of the 22's if the mechanics work the same way.

I think so, had it listed for a while. Excellent example but typical 13 lb trigger. Decided to spend money on something I'd shoot regularly.

Wouldn't mind getting one of the 22's if the mechanics work the same way.
I didn’t realize the triggers were so bad on them...I’ve never even held one. There’s a few at my LGS I should probably ask to hold before I think about dropping 2k on a Swiss at some point.

I didn’t realize the triggers were so bad on them...I’ve never even held one. There’s a few at my LGS I should probably ask to hold before I think about dropping 2k on a Swiss at some point.
Some better than others . Mine wasn't that fun to shoot because of the trigger pull. Was cool to have for a couple years.

I've been almost buying a Luger for 35 years. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger (yup, stupid pun) I hold off. I just can't get myself to spend the money. A super nice collector grade is way more than I would spend and a fairly nice shooter grade is still a big chunk for a gun I'm pretty much just going to look at.
On the other hand I have a new grandson and I need some cool old stuff to put in my will. That does it, I just talked myself into it again. Time for a trip to Pack & Postal......again.

Back
Top Bottom