Writing to the ACLU

milktree

NES Member
Once upon a time I used to regularly give money to the ACLU, based on their defense of civil liberties. I believed they were doing good work.

But I can't anymore because of their position on the one right in The Constitution they ignore.

But they keep sending me things asking me to give them more money. They always include a postage-paid envelope.

I'm writing a letter to send back in each one, telling them that because of their stance on the 2nd amendment, I cannot in good conscience give them any money until they change their position.

Specifically, I find their willingness to defend the civil rights of pretty much anyone, so long as there's no guns involved. Why haven't they defended gun owners against 4th and 5th amendment violations?

I think I can think of relatively common real-world violations of 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th amendment violations against gun owners, are there others? I'd like to mention them in the letter to show the hypocrisy.

What've you got?

Back in the day I used to take all sorts of junk mail and other trash, stuff it into those credit card prepaid response envelopes and sent it all back on their dime. It seemed to cut down on the number of credit card solicitations I got.

Send them an envelope full of Monopoly money and dirty diapers.

But mostly dirty diapers.

That would be funny, but it wouldn't help change their attitude/positions/policy/behavior.

I can't think of anything that would be better for gun owners than the ACLU being on the same side as SAF.

Nevermind 2A they went off the rails on Kavanaugh and openly opposed every principle they supposedly had. They are now nothing more than a lefty political machine armed with well funded lawyers. I wouldn't waste the energy writing a letter they don't agree with, I'd just stuff the envelops with whatever junkmail is handy and send them back. Low energy, save the fire for the fight.

You're most likely sending your letters to an address designed for receiving financial contributions. Nobody's reading your letters, the minimum wage hgh school dropout is throwing them away after determining they're not checks, quite possibly after several unsuccessful attempts to scan amount, account, and routing number.

Nevermind 2A they went off the rails on Kavanaugh and openly opposed every principle they supposedly had. They are now nothing more than a lefty political machine armed with well funded lawyers. I wouldn't waste the energy writing a letter they don't agree with, I'd just stuff the envelops with whatever junkmail is handy and send them back. Low energy, save the fire for the fight.

I write the letter once, and keep sending it every time something from them. This is already low effort, and has a small, but non-zero chance of doing something good for us.

You're most likely sending your letters to an address designed for receiving financial contributions. Nobody's reading your letters, the minimum wage hgh school dropout is throwing them away after determining they're not checks, quite possibly after several unsuccessful attempts to scan amount, account, and routing number.

Assuming that's true, there's a non-zero chance they'll notice it happening.

Love their website tagline: "Let's Reclaim our Liberties in 2019". Then they post gems like this:

In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia. The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment.

Second Amendment

The 13th amendment was ignored as guaranteed in original Declaration of Independence from 1776 to 1865.

14th ament. Was burdened by the poll tax , suppressing voting.

These things happen and must be battled.

ACLU is on the wrong side of law on this one.

Are these "other things the ACLU is wrong about", or "The ACLU defends the 13th and 14th amendments, except when there's guns involved"?

I'm interested in hypocritical behavior, the latter sorts, more than "more stuff they're wrong about".

Back in the day I used to take all sorts of junk mail and other trash, stuff it into those credit card prepaid response envelopes and sent it all back on their dime. It seemed to cut down on the number of credit card solicitations I got.
A buddy of mine used to fit pieces of wood in the envelope.

Absolutely send a check to the ACLU, and while you're at it, match your contribution to BLM and Antifa. Nowadays it's all the same people fighting the same nonsense millenial fight. How I wish I had that much free time!

It doesn't appear you read my post.

The best way to cut down on those credit card offers has a lot of other positive effects too: Write to all three of the big credit rating agencies (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion) and have them freeze your credit report. That's where the banks get their mailing lists, you know: they ask the credit agencies for lists of people with good credit ratings. But if your report is frozen, the agency won't put your name on those lists. They won't even acknowledge that they have a file on you, and they certainly won't let anybody get a new credit card, loan, bank account, mortgage, etc. in your name. It makes identity theft a couple of hundred times harder. I froze my credit reports about fifteen years ago, and since then the only time I see credit card offers is the month or two after I had to briefly unfreeze a report for some reason.

As for the ACLU, I generally agree that once upon a time they did good work, but over the years they've become just another leftist advocacy group. Sad.

So, just to make their stance abundantly clear, on the page I linked above with the ACLU's take on 2A, there was another ACLU article link at the bottom titled:

I Am a Muslim American Army Reservist Who Was Turned Away From a Gun Range...

So, ACLU is not going to outright support 2A across the board, but if a person who happens to be a Muslim experiences discrimination at a gun range, then it is a problem? Huh? Isn't that a little contradictory and showing your true agenda a little for a "non-partisan" entity?

Look, I personally have no issues with Muslim people who are not trying to hurt anyone. I also think it's a damn shame that someone serving in the armed forces is turned away at any range. However, I do have an issue when the ALCU cherry picks this one instance of discrimination over the blatant trampling of constitutional rights to all as the thing they can get behind.

The best way to cut down on those credit card offers has a lot of other positive effects too: Write to all three of the big credit rating agencies (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion) and have them freeze your credit report. That's where the banks get their mailing lists, you know: they ask the credit agencies for lists of people with good credit ratings. But if your report is frozen, the agency won't put your name on those lists. They won't even acknowledge that they have a file on you, and they certainly won't let anybody get a new credit card, loan, bank account, mortgage, etc. in your name. It makes identity theft a couple of hundred times harder. I froze my credit reports about fifteen years ago, and since then the only time I see credit card offers is the month or two after I had to briefly unfreeze a report for some reason.

As for the ACLU, I generally agree that once upon a time they did good work, but over the years they've become just another leftist advocacy group. Sad.
Thanx for the pro tip!

Years ago a certain organization kept sending me crap and would not stop when asked. They always included a postage paid response envelope. I started taping the envelopes to bricks and sending them back. It got expensive enough they gave up. I suspect in this day and age that might be considered a threatening gesture. ;)

Once upon a time I used to regularly give money to the ACLU, based on their defense of civil liberties. I believed they were doing good work.

But I can't anymore because of their position on the one right in The Constitution they ignore.

But they keep sending me things asking me to give them more money. They always include a postage-paid envelope.

I'm writing a letter to send back in each one, telling them that because of their stance on the 2nd amendment, I cannot in good conscience give them any money until they change their position.

Specifically, I find their willingness to defend the civil rights of pretty much anyone, so long as there's no guns involved. Why haven't they defended gun owners against 4th and 5th amendment violations?

I think I can think of relatively common real-world violations of 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th amendment violations against gun owners, are there others? I'd like to mention them in the letter to show the hypocrisy.

What've you got?

That's funny-I'm in the same boat brother, although I just write a simple statement on their donation card alluding to the fact that the 2nd A is spurned by them and I can't support them anymore.

I used to be a member, but they went "full retard" and are now a tool of the left. They parrot every idiotic talking point that the leftist pols issue. To the ACLU, voter ID = suppression of minority voters. It only gets more stupid from there. F the ACLU.

I used to be a member, but they went "full retard" and are now a tool of the left. They parrot every idiotic talking point that the leftist pols issue. To the ACLU, voter ID = suppression of minority voters. It only gets more stupid from there. F the ACLU.

Meh.

I look to the ACLU to battle for privacy rights and 1A/4A.
I look to GOAL and Comm2A to battle for 2A

I don’t expect one bullet to hit two targets.

R

Meh.

R

That would probably be fine, except for the ACLU's *anti*-2A position. If the ACLU simply did and said *nothing* on gun issues, it would be different.

Goal and Comm2A and SAF never do anything that's against any other rights.

Instead, I give money to The Institute For Justice; they do really good work, and don't have any anti-2A positions.

Meh.

R

The ACLU is using the courts to enforce the DNC agenda. Did they go after Obama for the massive expansion of spying on Americans? Did they stop "free speech zones"? Civil Asset Forfeiture?

That would probably be fine, except for the ACLU's *anti*-2A position. If the ACLU simply did and said *nothing* on gun issues, it would be different.

Goal and Comm2A and SAF never do anything that's against any other rights.

Instead, I give money to The Institute For Justice; they do really good work, and don't have any anti-2A positions.

IMHO the big problem with the ACLU is they act just like the NRA does. They only show up when they can make political hay out of something that fits their little progressive agenda, and are inconsistent in their desire to protect civil rights. With enough digging you could probably find a dump truck full of cases that would be pretty suitable for the ACLU to touch, but they just avoided them wholesale because of some PC bs.

Ironically they are so anti gun that they generally will not help a gun owner on some other basis (eg, for example, a serious 4A issue).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom