Would this be a good reloading bench?

husky_bench.jpg

The whole thing is made out of sheet metal except for the pegboard. The counter top is plywood covered in sheet metal. The only thing I do not know is the height from the floor to the counter. I saw it on Home Depot's website. Here is a direct link: Husky Workbench

Any thoughts?

I have a similiar bench and it works fine. I added extra strength by doubling up on the counter top by adding another sheet of 1" thick wood. The single top still had the table shifting when cranking down on the reloading handle. By doubling up it's almost rock solid now.

100_1313.jpg

I have a similar bench from Sears. Turned out to be cheaper than making one. Mine has a MDF top, so that is plenty strong. Only issue was the height, but a couple of 4x4 peices under the legs took care of that problem.

I don't reload so take this for what it is worth. If you ever reload blackpowder/gunpowder and not your standard smokeless, you will want to ground a static band somewhere and get into the habit of putting it on. If the top was wood, probably would not be a problem. But the fact that the top is covered in steel, which you then mount a steel press to, is probably an accident waiting to happen if, big if I know, you start reloading old skool and do black powder loads.

husky_bench.jpg

The whole thing is made out of sheet metal except for the pegboard. The counter top is plywood covered in sheet metal. The only thing I do not know is the height from the floor to the counter. I saw it on Home Depot's website. Here is a direct link: Husky Workbench

Any thoughts?

The drawers will not be functional (one of them at the least) when your press is mounted.
It looks flimsy (JMHO).

It should work OK. The bench top can not be too thick or stable. I am using a workbench I built for woodworking. The top is 4 layers of 3/4 inch MDF around the perimeter. Rock solid with no wiggle.

I also use the same bench. After assembly i was able to fasten the bench and pegboard/shelf unit to the wall using 3" drywall screws. made for a rock-solid bench. I do like the idea of doubling up on the work surface...although i chose not to. also one benefit is the metal surface that is supplied with this kit. lighing can be done with a bright halogen under counter fixture screwed to the underside of the top shelf...out the door for $199 tax free HD...NH

and the two drawers can be mounted as you wish....side by side as shown....or either side...stacked. so it would be suitable to mount a press to the opposite side without clearance issues....

Last edited:
husky_bench.jpg

Any thoughts?

I have this model, and it was not quite up to the task of reloading. I also have several Sears benches of this type that are stronger and better suited for reloading. With a little reinforcing, the Husky bench will do, but you will be better off with a Sears bench.

I also bought a "Waterloo" bench of this design from Lowe's for my garage. What a POS! I had to reinforce everything including the counter top. I had the materials on hand, so it was easier to reinforce rather than re package and return the item, but I would never have made the purchase had I known how flimsy it was.

Looks a lot like mine I got from Sears years ago. As you can see I have two 550B's mounted (one for small primers and one for large. Off to the right I bolted a 12"x12" piece of wood to the top with enough of a overhang to mount my Lyman Orange Crusher Single Stage Press. So I get three presses mounted with no drawer interference.

ReloadingRoom.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments. I ended up going with a workbench from Lowe's. Here is the link: Kobalt bench

The counter top is made out of some crappy saw dust/LDF-looking material so I also got two small sheets of plywood to replace it. The rest of the bench seems quite sturdy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom