Would it be silly to sell my M&P15 in favor of a Sig 556?

I got to handle the Sig today and the trigger is really, really sweet.

How would accuracy compare between a MA compliant 556 and and M&P15FT?

Up to you. Do you like the Sig 556 as it's configured out fo the box? Do you want to add lots of accessories? Really depends.

The 556 is a helluva nice rifle out of the box and the trigger is unbelievable for a stock trigger. The M&P has a more extensive upgrade path available.

If the trigger is your only problem, you are about $180-250 away from bliss. Simply purchase any of the excellent modular trigger groups now available (a 15" installation) and enjoy paradise.

I have a Chip McCormick, but JP and others make excellent units.

If the trigger is your only problem, you are about $180-250 away from bliss. Simply purchase any of the excellent modular trigger groups now available (a 15" installation) and enjoy paradise.

I have a Chip McCormick, but JP and others make excellent units.

That's part of what motivates the thought. The Sig costs less than the M&P15 plus aftermarket trigger. Plus, with the Sig, I wouldn't have to clean it as much.

Can you save up for the 556 and keep the FT? I'd keep the FT, seriously.

The 556 will require less maintenance and in turn be more reliable... accuracy is as good as any carbine length AR (not including match variations) and it has the plus of the 1/7 twist. The only downer is the non chromed bore... but it's really a non issue as it can be "corrected" if it's an issue for you.

The great thing about the 556, especially for us in MA, is that it takes AR mags.

The thing is, you just know you want the Sig... so go buy it already. Don't try to justify it logically, it won't pan out well. [smile]

-Mike

I say do it, the gun is not likely to loose value so you could always switch back to an AR with minimal to no loss.

LOL.

You guys are bad for my finances.

Paul, I have to chime in and say just get the Sig. Here's why.
1. I loved the P229. you bought a P229
2. I loved the MP15T, you bought the MP15T
3. I loved the Kahr, you obtained the Kahr
4. I love the 556, (you see how this works?)

So, if I stand any hope of obtaining a 556 in the near future (yes, I plan to put a new rail on it) then you must buy the 556. That's all there is to it.

Methinks your not presenting the rifles properly to your wife.

• Have you helped her to understand that both rifles are necessary to maintain a properly situational preparedness?
  • What about two is one and one is none?
  • Perhaps one is for her so she can share in something that means a lot to you?
  • How about "I promise I won't buy anything else for the rest of the year?"

That last one always works for you 5-year-old niece. She's got more crap than Paris Hilton's dog.

Then if none of that works there's always old faithful. You simply wait till she discovers it, then, with a shocked look on your face, look back at her and say, in your best puzzled voice. "I just don't know how that got there."

Back
Top Bottom