Worth trip to NH for ammo?

I am just curious if its worth the trip from central MA to NH to buy ammo? i want to stock up on some 5.56 and 9mm for shooting at the range. ive never bought ammo up there and am curious what the "rules" are. I also have an address that can have ammo shipped to from websites so i'm trying to determine whats the better option. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I know Manchester firing line has some good deals on ammo for Nes members. As far as ammo goes I like to just watch the websites and look for deals. With out any specials most times you're not saving much money except for tax from what I have seen. I can't speak for online because I've never done it.

Rules? What rules? If you make a run up to a real gunshop like Riely's, you take the boxes off the shelf. Walk up to the register and hand the man some money.

You might find it different at a Walmart or KMart.

I like not giving Patrick Deville 6.25%. Worth it to me.

I am just curious if its worth the trip from central MA to NH to buy ammo? i want to stock up on some 5.56 and 9mm for shooting at the range. ive never bought ammo up there and am curious what the "rules" are. I also have an address that can have ammo shipped to from websites so i'm trying to determine whats the better option. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

There are no rules, as long as you are 18 or 21 (for "handgun ammo") that's it. It's free america.

The best prices are at Riley's, on case lots. That said, on average NH walmarts will still be cheaper for some types of ammo.

MFL also has some deals, but you typically only get the best pricing if you are a member there.

If you can wait awhile you'd be better off waiting until the next NH gun show, Apr 9 in Concord. Hit the gun show, and then if no deals, then stop at Rileys or other NH shops on the way back.

-Mike

Doesn't Massachussetts have those ammo detectors at the border? I think all out-of-state ammo will detonate as you enter MA...
Actually, if you feel like a road trip, go for it! (It does seem as if drgrant's advice would make for a most cost-effective journey however.)

make a day trip of it and hit gun shops and gun clubs also.

You need to do what you need to do to increase your shooting fun
I used to purchase my ammo locally when I could find it and afford it
I then started going in on group buys and online sales---save almost half
Now I am reloading and shooting for about 1/3 the cost of locally.

Finding a free state friend is very good. Mine comes through town every now and again. For the pick of my toys and a hour or 2 of range time he drops off at my door

Every dollar you keep out of the MA legislature's hands is a blessed dollar.

Tried this once at Ammo2u in NH and it was their "Store Policy" not to sell ammo to any MA residents....

Tried this once at Ammo2u in NH and it was their "Store Policy" not to sell ammo to any MA residents....

None of the shops I've been to in NH do this. Some may require you to flash an LTC if they "sniff" that you are from MA, but that's about it. (Usually, this is only WalMart).

I've never heard of them. That's a bizarre policy.... I can understand not shipping to MA, but refusing pickups at their shop? That's just mind numbing.

-Mike

Last edited:
None of the shops I've been to in NH do this. Some may require you to flash an LTC if they "sniff" that you are from MA, but that's about it. (Usually, this is only WalMart).

I've never heard of them. That's a bizarre policy.... I can understand not shipping to MA, but refusing pickups at their shop? That's just mind numbing.

-Mike

It is unfortunate because if I ended up going there for ammo, I probably would have spent around $500 or so. If they like losing business, that is fine with me.

I never had a problem at walmart or a gun shop in NH and I frequent them often living on the border. However, Walmart and a gun shop in the Sunapee area turned my dad and uncles away when they tried to buy one box of rifle ammo for a hunting trip. Maybe the further you get from the Mass border the less they care to deal with MA residents.

I told him next time don't take out your ID until they ask.

Rules? What rules? If you make a run up to a real gunshop like Riely's, you take the boxes off the shelf. Walk up to the register and hand the man some money.

You might find it different at a Walmart or KMart.

I like not giving Patrick Deville 6.25%. Worth it to me.

didnt know if they had restrictions for ma residents or if ma had any rules against it (like fireworks).

What do you consider stocking up?

no specific #'s but wouldnt mind filling an ammo can or 2 with target (not match) rounds for 5.56/.223 for an ar i have on order. also wouldnt mind some bulk federal 9mm fmj. those (and .22's) are what i shoot most often so thats all i would buy in quantity.

Yes, and please stop by a State liquor store on the way South. Stock up.

usually do a trip before summer to stock up on captain and a trip before xmas for gifts and booze for me! they always have hangar one vodka which i cant find in ma and when i do its $! i think hangar one is the best vodka and is made in USA.

joshh, I notice you have a n.ct location posted.
Not the cheapest but I bought the 5000 round case of 22lr from the cmp. the higher velocity stuff listed as match ammo. I absolutely love this stuff. Works great in ALL my 22s. I hated looking around for any bulk ammo. You order it it comes to your door.
Personally If I where you and have a free state adress for delivery...order it and sit back and relax

joshh, I notice you have a n.ct location posted.
Not the cheapest but I bought the 5000 round case of 22lr from the cmp. the higher velocity stuff listed as match ammo. I absolutely love this stuff. Works great in ALL my 22s. I hated looking around for any bulk ammo. You order it it comes to your door.
Personally If I where you and have a free state adress for delivery...order it and sit back and relax

yes i have an personal address and a work address in ct. wasnt sure if nh had same or better deals than www.'s

I never had a problem at walmart or a gun shop in NH and I frequent them often living on the border. However, Walmart and a gun shop in the Sunapee area turned my dad and uncles away when they tried to buy one box of rifle ammo for a hunting trip. Maybe the further you get from the Mass border the less they care to deal with MA residents.

I told him next time don't take out your ID until they ask.

Walmart in Milford (on the 101a) cards to screen MA residents.

Do places in NH require a LTC (if they even have them) to purchase ammo? Or just a drivers license?

Do places in NH require a LTC (if they even have them) to purchase ammo? Or just a drivers license?

Typically only WalMart does this. (as "policy" not law) LTC/FID needed for them, unless you're a non-MA resident and then a DL from your state will suffice. There may be some gun shops that do it, too. Be fully aware that legally speaking, NH does not require a license to own or buy ammo or guns, though. Normal gun shops in NH typically do not "card" for ammo. As an MA resident, though, you will need an LTC/FID if you are going to buy (and take possession of) a rifle/shotgun from an NH dealer, though, due to the "must obey residency state" provisions in federal law, but that's a fed thing, not a state thing.

-Mike

Last edited:
>>Walmart in Milford (on the 101a)<<

Plus, it's in Amherst.

Yeah, that Walmart is -miles- from Milford. Another decent Walmart was the one in Rindge, haven't been in there in awhile, but they usually had a well stocked ammo dept. The Walmart in Plaistow was always decent, too.

-Mike

Typically only WalMart does this. (as "policy" not law) LTC/FID needed for them, unless you're a non-MA resident and then a DL from your state will suffice. There may be some gun shops that do it, too. Be fully aware that legally speaking, NH does not require a license to own or buy ammo or guns, though. Normal gun shops in NH typically do not "card" for ammo. As an MA resident, though, you will need an LTC/FID if you are going to buy (and take possession of) a rifle/shotgun from an NH dealer, though, due to the "must obey residency state" provisions in federal law, but that's a fed thing, not a state thing.

-Mike

You answered my question and then some. Thanks.

ETA: Hope I don't stumble upon anymore shops in NH that store policy is to not sell anything to MA residents.

>>I guessed whether it was Milford and Amherst. I chose...poorly...<<

And that's pretty bad considering you only live in Brookline! :)

>>I know Manchester firing line has some good deals on ammo for Nes members<<

Does anyone know what that deal is?

Back
Top Bottom