Worcester doctors lead push to target gun 'gag laws'

I can't read the article because I would never shell out any money for that ****ing rag. I like to use toilet paper, better for my septic system than newspaper.

If you use firefox, right click on the link and choose open in private window, the article will open regardless of subscription.

Let me get this straight. Doctors are against a gag order because it interferes with how they feel is best to treat their patients. But then when a patient asks why they want to know, they say "I have to ask". So they don't mind being told what to say but they do mind being told what not to say.

As for "HIPAA means your information is secure", I call bullshit. I just got a letter from my insurance company that said "Everything we know about you has been compromised". If they had that tidbit of information, it has been compromised. To date, anyone entrusted with securing my personal information has successfully divulged it one way or another. If a doctor writes it down, someone can read it.

Nope. I have a big problem with these laws. They dictate what people can and can't say and are a violation of the 1st. Anyone should be able to ask any question, and the title of "Dr" doesn't change that. Anyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with the Bill of Rights. You are free to choose to answer, to not answer, or to get up and walk out.

You are confusing the Doctor asking the question when it is the Insurance Company actually doing the asking. Contrary to what SCOTUS says, I don't believe that insurance companies have the right to free speech nor the right to any and all information about my private person.

That doctor may ask any question he wants of a person on the street on his own time but when he steps into that office, he is my doctor not his own person. In that capacity he does not have the right to free speech. He has the obligation to provide medical service and fulfill his oath to do no harm.

Mining data for insurance companies is not in my best interest (it is in the interest of his bank account but I don't give a sht about that).

Well, doc, what about all the chemical poisons I have in my home? What about the swimming pool I have? What about the prescription and OTC drugs in my bathroom? What about the electrical sockets -- do they have covers to keep curious fingers out? What about kitchen knives? What about the power tools in my garage? Damn, there sure are a lot of things around the house that cause more injuries than firearms. Smells like an agenda to me, doc.

You are confusing the Doctor asking the question when it is the Insurance Company actually doing the asking. Contrary to what SCOTUS says, I don't believe that insurance companies have the right to free speech nor the right to any and all information about my private person.

And just were are you getting that it's the insurance companies that are wanting the questions asked? From every account so far that I've read, it doesn't have anything to do with the insurance companies.

And just were are you getting that it's the insurance companies that are wanting the questions asked? From every account so far that I've read, it doesn't have anything to do with the insurance companies.

They may have not asked for it, but the info is getting to the insurance companies. What they do with it is speculation. The .gov is asking for it. What they want it for, is also speculation. Let your imagination run wild.

There is no legitimate reason for it to be 'recorded' in your medical history.

"Lank" said it earlier and I've said it more than once in similar threads...JUST SAY NO! Anything else will be taken as a yes.

Where do you think those questionnaires come from?

Hmmm, interesting.

Nevertheless, I've never seen one. I have though, 3 times, been in the room with my boys and have had a doctor ask if there was a gun inside of the house.

Hmmm, interesting.

Nevertheless, I've never seen one. I have though, 3 times, been in the room with my boys and have had a doctor ask if there was a gun inside of the house.

Yeah all I'm saying is that even if you haven't "seen" the questionnaire, it still exists. These guys don't come up with the questions on their own.

And for the person who claims that the AAFP is not affiliated with insurance companies, they sell insurance on their own. They sure as hell ARE affiliated with insurance companies.

I have seen my doctor ask this question 3 times with my kids. There is no "questionnaire". He was simply jotting it down in his notes.

Why would he write it down if it was just a casual conversation for your benefit. Most doctors record the particulars of your visit, on their office computer, after you leave.

Puke....it's bad enough I gotta have a dude grab my nuts and cough (still young enough to not get Dr jelly finger) I now have to have them asking my kids about what's inside my house.

Ask the doctor what he clears out of his history on his computer.
That is why I have had a female doctor for 20+ years. Current doctor is a little Asian woman. Small hands come in handy for that prostate exam :) My only worry is 'waking up' during the exam. [rofl]

They may have not asked for it, but the info is getting to the insurance companies. What they do with it is speculation. The .gov is asking for it. What they want it for, is also speculation. Let your imagination run wild.

There is no legitimate reason for it to be 'recorded' in your medical history.

"Lank" said it earlier and I've said it more than once in similar threads...JUST SAY NO! Anything else will be taken as a yes.

Where do you think those questionnaires come from?

The questions come from various medical societies, the one my doc uses shows the source at the bottom of the page.

Insurance companies may not have required the questions, but you can be damn sure that they will use that info to their advantage and share it amongst other insurance companies via MIB.

Gov't will also MIS-use the info as they always eventually do.

Also when any of these databases get compromised, we MAY get notified months/years later and the most we get is a free 6 month subscription to a service (where you have to GIVE them personal info SSN, etc. that they can sell) to monitor if anyone steals your identity over that short period. And if your identity gets stolen, guess what, they don't pay for the damages unless you bring a lawsuit and front big $$$ (unless you can get a class action together and if so, you get a few bucks that won't pay postage to deal with the problems).

The series of questions is pretty obvious. Once they reach the "lifestyle" questions I simply say "I'm not interested in these questions. Let's move on to the reason for my visit."

It throws them a bit but they usually recover without getting too offended and there are 20 or so refuse to answer, rather than 19 yeses and noes and 1 refusal.

Doc's can ask all the questions they want but its up to us on how we handle it. I have been asked a couple of times verbally and many times on forms at doctor appointments. Always say 'next health related question' or leave it blank. Although one doc I have is into skeet shooting...

Last edited:
Had to go to the ER years ago after a freak garden accident (always wear safety goggles, wouldn't have helped in my case, but still, save those eyes!). Wife had to drive me in. With the wife standing there, the ER doctor asks me if I felt safe at home. I said "Hell No! Look what happened to my face! Power tools are the devil!"

BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with lying to your doctor. But if he/she is asking questions you don't like, get a new one. Vote with your feet people. Plenty of doctors out there are pro constitution, pro guns and anti govt. Find them and use them.

And this goes for every other profession. Don't give your hard earned dollars to anyone who is a statist.

It won't be long before insurance companies reduce payments to doctors who have not furnished the (.gov) required questionnaires. The medical community may have designed the forms, but you can bet they had "guidance" from the Government. Especially now, with the (un) Affordable Healthcare Act.

I have a friend of mine (no... seriously, lol) that thought he was doing himself a favor by being honest with his doctor about what and how much he drank... thought the doc should know, in case it affected his health care.

Then he applied for life insurance.

If you think your information is private, suit yourself. Me? I pay cash for my beer-

Had to go to the ER years ago after a freak garden accident (always wear safety goggles, wouldn't have helped in my case, but still, save those eyes!). Wife had to drive me in. With the wife standing there, the ER doctor asks me if I felt safe at home. I said "Hell No! Look what happened to my face! Power tools are the devil!"

I said something similar one time. "Do you feel safe at home?" Paused on answering, got the doc to look up, "If I don't say yes, my wife will kill me". Took about 10 seconds to realize I was busting his chops; the nurse figured it out right away.

As long as the lie is not health related...

All my doctors know I have guns and a couple are shooters. Another wants to join a gun club and buy a gun. Now that I'm an old geezer, I'm asked by the nurse if I feel safe at home. I say what Jack says. "Yes I have a shitload of guns." I also add that I have a dog who's bigger than me.

I have a friend of mine (no... seriously, lol) that thought he was doing himself a favor by being honest with his doctor about what and how much he drank... thought the doc should know, in case it affected his health care.

Then he applied for life insurance.

If you think your information is private, suit yourself. Me? I pay cash for my beer-

I stopped listening to anything my Dr said when she asked how often I wear my seat belt. I replied honestly that it was prob 80%+ of the time because as a surveyor I often drive 200' at a time, I dont even always close the doors when I do it. She replied that I should wear them 100% and that I should cut back on the 3 drinks I will have in one night (even when I'll go 3 months between haveing a drop of beer).... At that point I decided she was worthless and if she belived that ANYONE 'never' drank or 'always' wore there belt then she is an idiot.

The seat belt thing is just assessing risk, as they think they are doing with the firearms question. Here's my concern...

2015 -Bob tells doc he has guns.
2016- Bob tells doc he is a little depressed.
In the interest of safety to Bobs family, doc calls police to confiscate Bobs guns.

While I have something of an issue with a law barring docs from asking the question (or similar, non health related questions), I'm not keen on the defacto requirement that ask, either.

I suppose I could simply shop doctors until I found one that doesn't ask the questions he's told to (by AMA, Insurance or .gov is irrelevant), but I suspect it would be a LONG search.

Great point. Anything in your medical records will be reviewed by underwriters at whatever life, disability, and/or long-term care insurance carrier you apply to for coverage. Don't tell them about your travel plans either - I know someone who was denied life insurance because they were planning travel to Israel.

Back
Top Bottom