• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester doctors lead push to target gun 'gag laws'

Enzo

NES Member
It's all for the children.

"Dr. Hirsh said that the most important questions to ask pediatric patients' family are: Do you use car seats and seat belts? Do you have smoke detectors? Is there a gun in the home?"

"If the family does have a gun, Dr. Hirsh said he would ask how it is stored and whether the ammunition is removed properly."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150329/NEWS/303299720/1116

Its pretty simple....

next time a doctor or nurse asked if you have a gun in the home, just flip the question....."well, since we are so intimate, you tell me Doc, do you have a gun in the house?"

they will be done asking questions....and in the event they state "no i dont have a gun" then you know on-the-spot that doctor is so stupid you wouldnt want them prescribing toothpaste.

the blowdried generation of shit doctors asked to get political....now they reap the rewards of vearing political when they should have stayed medical

Puke....it's bad enough I gotta have a dude grab my nuts and cough (still young enough to not get Dr jelly finger) I now have to have them asking my kids about what's inside my house.

Ask the doctor what he clears out of his history on his computer.

Puke....it's bad enough I gotta have a dude grab my nuts and cough (still young enough to not get Dr jelly finger) I now have to have them asking my kids about what's inside my house.

Ever see the movie "Fletch" with Chevy Chase ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty simple....

next time a doctor or nurse asked if you have a gun in the home, just flip the question....."well, since we are so intimate, you tell me Doc, do you have a gun in the house?"

Awesome! This is a nice way to "Bugs Bunny" them into realizing where their scope of practice really lies.

A good way to handle any of this blatant over-stepping of medical boundaries is stay in the room when your child is being grilled. Before going to the MDs office, tell your son or daughter that they want you in the room the whole time. Kids also have the option to not answer anything without mom or dad in the room.

It's embarrassing to see these quacks attempt to speak for all/most of the folks in the medical field. Don't be fooled, though, the Second Amendment still means something to a lot of us.

I can't read the article because I would never shell out any money for that ****ing rag. I like to use toilet paper, better for my septic system than newspaper.

Since you can read two free articles per month without signing, you've just outed yourself as someone who has read two articles this month.

If you block cookies from their site, you can read all the articles you want.

My girlfriend just switched primary doctors. On the paperwork she had to fill out it had the question, "are there any firearms present in your home, and stored properly?"
If you answer no, it could still mean you have a firearm in your home not stored properly. The way they worded the question is ridiculous... Well asking the question is ridiculous.

In general, people don't like being told what to do, but have no hesitation telling others what to do. Gun owners and doctors are no exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Since you can read two free articles per month without signing, you've just outed yourself as someone who has read two articles this month.
TOR (www.torproject.org) and the Google Chome Hola internet extension both VPN your browsing from an alternate IP (and rarely the same one on multiple runs), which can be convenient if you exceed your free article quota on systems that limit it by IP address (very common).

There's a part of me that has a problem with these laws. Am I alone here?

Nope. I have a big problem with these laws. They dictate what people can and can't say and are a violation of the 1st. Anyone should be able to ask any question, and the title of "Dr" doesn't change that. Anyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with the Bill of Rights. You are free to choose to answer, to not answer, or to get up and walk out.

Its simple and I have used this in the past "My children and family are the most important things to me, I would to nothing to endanger them. If you would like to have a dialogue on my personal life then I would assume this is a two way discussion on yours as well since you have the welfare of my child in your hands correct?" Ive known this Doc for years and his response was mumbling and then just saying "I have to ask these questions blah blah" I said fine but how about starting with questions on why my kids cough is not getting better, I come here for medical care and not lifestyle advice. We have been good ever since[wink]

Nope. I have a big problem with these laws. They dictate what people can and can't say and are a violation of the 1st. Anyone should be able to ask any question, and the title of "Dr" doesn't change that. Anyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with the Bill of Rights. You are free to choose to answer, to not answer, or to get up and walk out.

The concern isn't necessarily with the asking. It's with the duly-noted-recorded-and-filed, to be read by .gov, insurance companies, ...

That said, I've filled out a bunch of those questionnaires over the years and have yet to see that question. They all seem to be very curious, though, about my drinking and smoking habits - "yes" to the former and "no" to the latter, for the record. [grin]

The problem II have is not with docs talking to me about guns, but docs making records that will be transmitted to other docs, insurance companies, etc. That includes notations in my record like "patient refused to answer".

The most recent medical record release form I signed for an ultrasound include checkboxes "none of the following records will be released unless specifically authorized", and includes boxes for HIV, STDs, mental health treatment, and a few other things. There should either be no record of the "gun question", or a treat it as protected info like HIV status.

Last edited:
Divulging the responses to any of those questions is a violation of HIPPA laws and can lead to a doctor losing his license to practice medicine.

THIS, 100%.

They can ask WTF they want, you are free to not answer.

Divulging the responses to any of those questions is a violation of HIPPA laws and can lead to a doctor losing his license to practice medicine.
Yes, but this does not include disclosure to other medical professionals in the ordinary course of treatment. You also sign a specific release authorizing release of all information to your insurance company. I do not want my insurance company receiving any data beyond my medical condition, and treatments that need to be paid for .... especially items which could be used to asses my risk profile or desirability as a customer.

I can't read the article because I would never shell out any money for that ****ing rag. I like to use toilet paper, better for my septic system than newspaper.

Open a browser in "private" mode, since it doesn't store cookies in that mode you can open unlimited articles without subscribing/payment. That is what I did and do for other links posted here.

My girlfriend just switched primary doctors. On the paperwork she had to fill out it had the question, "are there any firearms present in your home, and stored properly?"
If you answer no, it could still mean you have a firearm in your home not stored properly. The way they worded the question is ridiculous... Well asking the question is ridiculous.

It's on a standard form by one of the medical associations and used by many docs. My doc uses that form. I just skip the question. Never been asked any further but he knows that I'm a firearms instructor, former police officer, etc.

The concern isn't necessarily with the asking. It's with the duly-noted-recorded-and-filed, to be read by .gov, insurance companies, ...

That said, I've filled out a bunch of those questionnaires over the years and have yet to see that question. They all seem to be very curious, though, about my drinking and smoking habits - "yes" to the former and "no" to the latter, for the record. [grin]

THIS, 100%.

They can ask WTF they want, you are free to not answer.

HIPAA allows all this info to be freely shared with insurance companies and the MIB (a storehouse of everyone's medical records like a credit bureau for med records and accessible to any/all insurance companies that make query).

O-care now puts the gov in the same footing so that gov will have access to all our private medical info also and HIPAA is irrelevant. There is NO PROTECTION whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom