Woodville Rod & Gun Club?

hqp921

NES Member
I'll be moving to Hopkinton soon, but before people say I should check out the Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association or Southborough Rod & Gun, I wanted to know if anyone was a member of, or had experience with, the Woodville Rod and Gun Club.

The apartment I'll be moving to is less than a quarter a mile away from Woodville Rod and Gun, so it would be convenient. Perhaps too convenient in my girlfriend's eyes! [smile]

Anyway, a quick search of this sub-forum didn't yield much for Woodville, so I might have to just go check it out myself. However, if you're a member of either of the three clubs I listed above, I'd be interested in hearing and learning about them. The nod goes to Woodville for location - I would be able to walk to it. Southborough Rod and Gun and Hopkinton Sportsmen are a very quick drive (both are less than 10 mins).

I still consider myself a newb (shot for the first time in 2009 on my friend's wedding day -- he took his groomsmen to his club -- but didn't really get into it until 2010), but I'd like access to: pistol ranges (indoor and outdoor), and outdoor rifle ranges of 50-200 yards. 24hour indoor access would be great, but not a deal breaker. Something with fair pricing/member expectations, isn't TOO crowded, and gives me the opportunity to learn/try: trap, archery, about hunting, and going fishing (which I haven't done since... gosh, a long time ago!). Right now, when I go shooting, it's just target shooting and having fun sending lead down range -- I'd like to expand on that, given I have the time and money.

I poked around the websites for all three, but I think it'd be much easier to talk to someone from here.

Thanks in advance!

- HP

Been a member at southboro for a few years. Great club overall. Be happy to give you the nickel tour sonetime

Not slamming Woodville (thans to you Woodvillians for coming to the shoot!) but in Hopkinton there are 3 clubs - HSA, Woodville, and Southborough Rod & Gun Club.

www.srgclub.com

Visit before you join. Each has its own "vibe", and strengths. I belong to Southborough, but have shot Trap at both of the others, and the people were cool.

As BradM offered, we're happy to show you around Southborough; I'm sure that the other clubs will do the same. Boots-on-the-ground intel is best.

Visit before you join. Each has its own "vibe", and strengths. Boots-on-the-ground intel is best.

This is what I was hoping to do anyway... Seems like there are more folks on here that belong to Southborough or Hopkinton.

If I can't make it to the meeting at Southborough tonight, perhaps I'll contact one of you about meeting up for a tour. Realistically, I'll want to get settled first.

No one's suggested being a member at all three yet? Haha.

I'll check the other thread about MA towns, but I'm assuming with 3 clubs in town, Hopkinton is a "Green" town and will issue an LTC-A. I'll need to submit the address change form, but I've already discussed with my g/f that I'd prefer if she at the very least had an FID, but since it costs the same for an LTC-A, and I'd know she'd be able to handle everything I own legally, that would make me feel better.

- HP

Hopkinton is green, and you're definitely doing the right thing by having your g/f try to get her LTC-A (even if she got restricted) before an FID. My wife is in the process now to do the same so that she can get safe access.

Hopkinton is green, and you're definitely doing the right thing by having your g/f try to get her LTC-A (even if she got restricted) before an FID. My wife is in the process now to do the same so that she can get safe access.

She has no excuse, my friend's father is an NRA Instructor. :)

- HP

HI HP
Checking in from Hopkinton Sportsmen's - There are three (3) club in Hopkinton - however you actually shoot at two of them. As Brother Happy sez, do check them out up close and personal. Take a look at each from Goggle earth - notice the three open pistol bays and two rifle ranges with available steel, in addtion to the indoor range with 24/7 access, plus, skeet & trap, grounds and ponds.
Can show you around just about any time..
Look at "President" on the web site for the contact info: www.hsaports.com
Bob

HI HP
Checking in from Hopkinton Sportsmen's - There are three (3) club in Hopkinton - however you actually shoot at two of them. As Brother Happy sez, do check them out up close and personal. Take a look at each from Goggle earth - notice the three open pistol bays and two rifle ranges with available steel, in addtion to the indoor range with 24/7 access, plus, skeet & trap, grounds and ponds.
Can show you around just about any time..
Look at "President" on the web site for the contact info: www.hsaports.com
Bob

Readin' between the lines here, folks. [laugh] So Woodville is more of a social club than a shooting club? Honestly, I have been content to go to my friend's range as a guest ($5/visit), and occasionally going to AFS in Attleboro ($20/visit)... I'd like the opportunity to do all the extra stuff I listed above, but I'd be content having access to a space to utilize indoor/outdoor pistol ranges and rifle ranges. Not a loner or outcast, but sometimes I just like to unwind with some "me" time.

I was excited to live within walking distance to a club... and I'll still check it out, but I have a feeling why I can't find anything on the club on this forum.

Familiar with where HSA is located -- a friend of mine lives off of Lumber Street.

Because I'm a geek, I will create some sort of spreadsheet that details costs and amenities of each place to do some sort of logical analysis...

- HP

Because I'm a geek, I will create some sort of spreadsheet that details costs and amenities of each place to do some sort of logical analysis...

- HP

Because I'm lazy, can you share said spreadsheet when you are done??

Because I'm lazy, can you share said spreadsheet when you are done??

[laugh]

You got it.

There's so much more to the "logic" of things though. Even while apartment hunting, "logically" my girlfriend and I would spend just a little more to get the place with slightly more room and a 2 car garage... logically. I own two cars (wagon and a convertible) and a motorcycle... well, two motorcycles... Emotionally (and realistically), it didn't make sense, but on paper it was pretty good. The place we found will have space for everything; but the location, landlord, etc. made more sense to us than the other apt. Man, I really would have loved to have a 2 car garage! [wink]

- HP

Hi,

I live in Grafton, and was a member of the North Grafton Fish, Game, and Bird club. I joined there because it's less than a mile from my home. But they don't really have anything to do with fishing (no pond), and really only cater to handgun and rifle shooters, with no trap or skeet. I only had a shotgun when I joined, and really only went there to sight in my shotgun before deer and turkey season, shooting at paper targets.

I recently picked up my first pistol and also acquired a .22LR rifle, so am interested in joining a more 'diverse' club.

Looking at the clubs mentioned, HSA is closest to me, and seems to offer everything I'd be interested in: indoor pistol range, outdoor rifle and trap/skeet ranges, and even the fish pond.

If y'all are arranging a 'tour' would you mind one more guest? Please PM me with the details of when you're going.

Thanks
-Steve from Grafton.

If y'all are arranging a 'tour' would you mind one more guest? Please PM me with the details of when you're going.

I have not arranged anything 'formal' - but a few people have already PM'd me about who to contact, or to let me know they'd be willing to show me around.

I'm sure that folks would be pretty willing to show you around.

I'm not against a larger "tour" group, but I did want to note that I haven't set anything up, personally.

- HP

Not to speak for HSA, but I've found that if you show up when "open" trap / skeet is going on, generally there'll be people to give your a tour. Not saying that getting a one-on-one invite is a bad thing, but sometimes it's easier not to have to coordinate schedules.

Okay, here's my first go around with the spreadsheet for the 3 clubs in Hopkinton.

Not all websites had the information I was looking for, and not all websites are created equal... I did the best I could to pull some of the information.

To people looking or current members: If there are other columns that might be helpful, I'd be happy to add them.

To current members: If there is information that's missing or wrong, let me know - either in this thread or via PM and I'll make the changes as necessary.

I hope I'm not duplicating some sort of effort that already exists, but if I get a good spreadsheet for the 3 in Hopkinton, who's to say I can't expand this project to include other clubs into the document to have "one stop comparative shopping" for folks? I do agree, as it was said earlier, that the best intel is "boots on the ground" but something like this is a helpful first step, I think!

- HP

Thanks, I've updated the spreadsheet.

In an ideal world, and it's likely if I can swing the finances and the time, I'd just belong to a few clubs!

ETA: Just saw your signature... A member of your club did invite me to last night's dinner/meeting, but I was unable to make it... Priority one for me is to move in and get settled, but in the meantime, I am planning my outings to the various clubs nearby. [laugh] It really just makes sense -- girlfriend decorates the apartment, I go throw lead down range.

- HP

HSA also has a trout pond. Their application form asks for your NRA and GOAL membership numbers, so I assume they're required as well.

If someone from HSA can confirm this, I'll add it to my spreadsheet.

- HP

Steve -
Not both NRA & GOAL (although you probably should). It is one or the other. Stocked pond btw.
My contact info is on the website (will be there this evening and Saturday). Word of caution - spreadsheets are very good, however they do not, as MR Happy said, give you the flavor of the club - is there a column for range nazi factor?
El Prez

Steve -
Not both NRA & GOAL (although you probably should). It is one or the other. Stocked pond btw.
My contact info is on the website (will be there this evening and Saturday). Word of caution - spreadsheets are very good, however they do not, as MR Happy said, give you the flavor of the club - is there a column for range nazi factor?
El Prez

Thanks for the info.

As I said before, this is just to get the info in one place for anyone like me who may be looking in the area. I will definitely visit each one to see which best fits my needs.

- HP

another column to consider is allowed target types (paper or whatever) and ammo. If you can't shoot steel core, cheap milsurp rifles/ammo suddenly become very expensive.

Excellent point Boris!! - No steel core at HSA. Tough to control their use when there are steel targets readily available. Steel on steel Not good!

Paper, Cardboard. Steel is allowed and provided on the Pistol and Rifle ranges - some folks add clays to the target array in the pistol bays.

Back
Top Bottom