Wolf pistol ammo?

Viper22

NES Member
One of my local shops has Wolf pistol ammo for decent prices. Is this stuff any good? I assume that its either aluminum case or steel case when looking at the price. Am I better off just picking up some Blazer aluminum case?

Probably steel cased ... never seen aluminum cased Wolf. Wolf has always worked for me in my AR's & pistols. I've used their 9mm in my Glock 17, 26 & MP5k without any issues. Actually when I was having FTE problems with my MP5k it would only eat Wolf without problems. Got that fixed though [smile]

Wolf is typically overpriced for what it isn't.

Some guns won't eat it, and it's dirty as hell.

I think in the past few years they did change the powder a bit. The old mix, at least in the .45 cal Wolf, used to make the gun smell like rotten fish.

If you're trying to save money try to find a dealer that will give you a decent price break on cases of CCI Blazer (aluminum case). I shot tons of that stuff before I started
to reload. The only thing Blazer AL is really bad in is an open bolt submachinegun. [laugh]

-Mike

I can only speak on the direct experience I've had with Wolf ammo using first my brand new M&P 9c, then at a later time using my recently acquired M&P 40c and my brothers P239. It functioned flawlessly on my 9c, but the gun was very new and was cleaned after every shoot, the ammo itself was very dirty and messy on my gun as others have noted. With the 40c which I now own I had a disappointingly high number of FTE's (atleast 3-5)- I was getting frustrated thinking it was the gun but then it also happened on my brother's Sig which is very rare. It might have just been that particular box but I will not be going back to Wolf again anytime soon, it did not leave me feeling very confident and is very dirty.

Just say no to Russia - they suck....
"Take that, Russia! I'm spending a lot more on ammo." That'll teach 'em.[grin]

I've shot a metric assload of 9mm and .45 Wolf through my guns, especially when the price delta between Wolf and WWB was about at it's peak. Functioned flawlessly in my guns. It's a bit dirty, to be sure, but I didn't find it any dirtier than, say, WWB or CCI aluminum case. That might be because I was shooting it in full-size (5" bbl) guns. Maybe there's more unburned powder in shorter barrels, making it dirtier.

At the same price, I'll probably take something else, but if there's a significant savings, I won't hesitate to shoot it.

I run Wolf in my ARs no problem. NOTE: Military chamber, not target chambers.

I tried Wolf in 5 different 9mm handguns and my 1911. In every case, it led to FTE problems that never happen with brass or aluminum cased ammo.

I'll never let Wolf near any of my handguns again.

YMMV

"Take that, Russia! I'm spending a lot more on ammo." That'll teach 'em.[grin]

I've shot a metric assload of 9mm and .45 Wolf through my guns, especially when the price delta between Wolf and WWB was about at it's peak. Functioned flawlessly in my guns. It's a bit dirty, to be sure, but I didn't find it any dirtier than, say, WWB or CCI aluminum case. That might be because I was shooting it in full-size (5" bbl) guns. Maybe there's more unburned powder in shorter barrels, making it dirtier.

At the same price, I'll probably take something else, but if there's a significant savings, I won't hesitate to shoot it.

Meh - Wolf is cheap, but it's not as short money as it used to be. There are deals to be had I suppose, but for the extra money, I'll buy as much American ammo as I can. All ammunition manufacturers put out a bad round, but Wolf seems to do so with more regularity. Type in "Wolf ammo kaboom" on a search and see what pops up..Personally, I prefer not to stuff the coffers of an ammunition company that also makes and distributes ammo that is aimed at American troops...YMMV

Meh - Wolf is cheap, but it's not as short money as it used to be. There are deals to be had I suppose, but for the extra money, I'll buy as much American ammo as I can.
I certainly don't disagree. As I said above, back when the delta between Wolf and cheap WWB was almost 30%, it was a smoking deal for what you got. As that delta shrinks, so does the argument to use it. Of course, in some calibers (7.62x39, for example), they have the low-end of the market sewn up.
Personally, I prefer not to stuff the coffers of an ammunition company that also makes and distributes ammo that is aimed at American troops...YMMV
Ammo is agnostic, IMO, just like guns. It/they are aimed by the user, not the manufacturer. Tomorrow's bad guy could just as easily be using Lake City given to him when he was today's ally. It's one of the things I hate about the world today.

A friends of mine called me last weekend. He was out shooting some Wolf in his Para 9 and it had locked up with a live round in the chamber and he couldn't get it open or into battery. He brought it over and I showed him the easiest way to clear it.

1. Grasp onto slide with a strong overhand hold.
2. Run strong hand into the grip of the frame.

Has worked every time for me but of course I also have some "inertia" behind me.

One of my local shops has Wolf pistol ammo for decent prices. Is this stuff any good? I assume that its either aluminum case or steel case when looking at the price. Am I better off just picking up some Blazer aluminum case?

Depends on what you are shooting it out of.

For the most part, every round of Wolf that has hit our shores has sold......so obviously the stuff works in a vast majority of the guns out there.

Try a box before you stock up.

wolf

I take it apart and use the the bullets in other cases and powder is burned off. have done it with 45 ammo i got a few hundred for like 30 off some guy.

Years ago when Wolf first came out I got a 9mm round jammed up in a old Model 59. I dropped the mag and started trying to rack it and kept trying to rack it.

I put the edge of the slide against the booth table and pushed as hard as I could nothing. That's when I realised it wasn't a normal jam.

Went and got my squib rod, a beveled, coated, Door hinge pin from a Yukon, put it in the barrel and whacked it a few times and it finally came out.

The lacquer on the bulllets had melted all over the chamber and glued it in like crazy glue.

I had to set the barrel in a bottle of Hoppes 9 to clean it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom