WMA Chukka

ccm75

NES Member
I’ve lived next door to the Westboro WMA for 25 years...I know it very well and how they “manage” it. Ive seen the occasional bobwhite quail, but this is the first time I’ve seen a Chukkar! And in April? Occasionally there will be some pheasants that winter over and survive the predators.....But I’ve never seen a chukkar! Dumped in this spring or last fall? With all the predators I have to think he was recently released. Thing would would barely flush....
8F7A42CE-55FA-4CC4-8822-303A95E3BFEF.jpeg 95FAE69B-CD59-4AB5-9A9D-826AC62BA7C6.png

Any private clubs nearby? Possibly one with a game preserve license? If slow to flush, makes sense that it's a stocker.

They are fun to hunt because you never know where they will flush. I seem to have this awesome random luck that causes them to flush right at my hunting partner or the dog- even though they have somewhere else to go. Also delicious to eat.

Any private clubs nearby? Possibly one with a game preserve license? If slow to flush, makes sense that it's a stocker.

They are fun to hunt because you never know where they will flush. I seem to have this awesome random luck that causes them to flush right at my hunting partner or the dog- even though they have somewhere else to go. Also delicious to eat.
I’ve hunted them on a preserve....No clubs anywhere around. Odd to see one. Thought it was a quail, but definitely a Chukkar.

There is a club in Westford that stocks Chukkar for organized hunts. They can put out quite a number of these. That's not too far away for a roving bird that made it through the winter.

As a kid/teen I used to hunt valley quail where I lived in Ventura County, CA. Fun to hunt if you know the area and can push them to cover at the edge of large open areas. Otherwise they can be frustrating because they like to run, but at least you can call them. It was nice having quite a few coveys in the wild. I lived in Missouri for a while and hunted wild bobwhite, which hold and flush a little better. I only saw a couple bobwhite here but it's been a few years I'll assume the coyotes have mostly wiped them out. I do see an occasional grouse. Would be awesome to have a decent wild population of quail here in Mass.

They are hold well, dont fly far, and would be hammered by yotes. My vote is someone was doing some dog training there and its a leftover. Doubt it will make it til next week without being food

Gotta be a stock release bird. I've seen tons of them in Arizona, while exploring. I guess they like the desert landscape. Never seen one while I was living in PA.

So where is the Division of Fakers and Wankers getting the birds now. They closed all the game farms because they didn't want spend the money into upgrading the farms to current mechanization. I know First hand, as I watched it, The Crew at the AYER Game Farm (Pheasants) was all manpower and labor intensive. The farm was still until it closed, The crew was cleaning out the brood houses with shovel and wheel barrel. They were filling grain bags at the silo and loading them onto a truck and the unloading them and carrying the bags into the pens to fill the troughs. No farm does that today and be efficient. But no one could tell Wayne MacCallum the head Wanker that. So now you guys spend money on birds coming out PA, that all feathers and no meat.

So where is the Division of Fakers and Wankers getting the birds now. They closed all the game farms because they didn't want spend the money into upgrading the farms to current mechanization. I know First hand, as I watched it, The Crew at the AYER Game Farm (Pheasants) was all manpower and labor intensive. The farm was still until it closed, The crew was cleaning out the brood houses with shovel and wheel barrel. They were filling grain bags at the silo and loading them onto a truck and the unloading them and carrying the bags into the pens to fill the troughs. No farm does that today and be efficient. But no one could tell Wayne MacCallum the head Wanker that. So now you guys spend money on birds coming out PA, that all feathers and no meat.

Actually the birds they've been stocking are massive. The tiny birds were maybe 5 years back

Actually the birds they've been stocking are massive. The tiny birds were maybe 5 years back

This is true. Not sure where they are coming from but last year I shot a rooster that was a borderline turkey. The thing was massive.

Also, though, I have noticed that the birds are not flying that well at all. Some barely get above your head then drop to the ground only to be snatched up by the dog. My dog caught quite a few last year.

This is true. Not sure where they are coming from but last year I shot a rooster that was a borderline turkey. The thing was massive.

Also, though, I have noticed that the birds are not flying that well at all. Some barely get above your head then drop to the ground only to be snatched up by the dog. My dog caught quite a few last year.

Yeah some of the birds, particularly the roosters can be so big its to their detriment. I've had many times when I've been able to re-flush birds multiple times or they flush and don't have the energy to get up again when they dog catches up to them.

Back
Top Bottom