Wma hunting deer omg

whacko

NES Member
So headed out for an afternoon sit. Went to a wma. One truck parked in the lot when I arrived. Well......I'll pick a direction ans go.....there's a beaten path that I assume the other guy won't be on cuz well.....its the beaten path everyone uses.....figure ill take that in a bit then find the low land steam I have picked out that I've seen a ton of tracks and deer shit going down. Exactly 300 feet down the trail there's the guy in a ladder stand that wasn't there last weekend and he's giving me the stank eye. Just said sorry dude and kept walking. Ffs he's 300 feet from the parking lot. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 anyway I'm in my sit for the evening. Fingers crossed.

Some people never cease to amaze me Probably afraid he will get lost in the woods 😂.
Best part....or worst depending on how you look at it. I went to the spot id picked out and an hour into my sit a big ass doe was 15 yards from me and I didn't even shoot. Pouring rain and couldn't hear for shit. So I got my head on a swivel.......checked the creek bed to the left....... then looked over to the right and have that a long look.........swiveled my head to the rear as best I could and gave that a long look.......come back to check tbe creek bed and a big fat doe is staring at me.......she had already made me.......I went for the quick shot and pulled the gun up and she bolted. Damnit. The best part of it is I'm happy I picked putba spot and a deer came through. I just need to swivel my head faster when its frigging raining. If it hadn't been raining I'd have heard her ans got the gun up ahead of time like I've done so many times before. Lesson learned.

So...long story short ill confess I'm a Massachusetts deer drive hunter. This is my first dive into sitting......at least I proved to myself I can pick a spot and make it work.

Yesterday with all the snow melting and falling making noise had to constantly scan same thing with the rain. It’s nice when it’s quiet and you can hear them coming.
Better luck next time sounds like you will kill a deer in that spot.

Yesterday with all the snow melting and falling making noise had to constantly scan same thing with the rain. It’s nice when it’s quiet and you can hear them coming.
Better luck next time sounds like you will kill a deer in that spot.
Oh I'll be back. Gotta get it done before shotgun season when the place is more pressured.

I've read that hunting right next to the road can be productive precisely because people won't hunt right next to the road. Small parcel public land tactic.

I've read that hunting right next to the road can be productive precisely because people won't hunt right next to the road. Small parcel public land tactic.
I guess......except this guy was basically on the trail going in. You gotta go right by him. Maybe he was hoping someone would drive a deer at him when they walk in I don't know.

My buddy's son was in his stand in a Mass WMA about 15 minutes when he shot his first deer with a bow a couple weeks ago. He was about 150 yards from the parking lot/road and about 30 yard off the main trail.

My buddy's son was in his stand in a Mass WMA about 15 minutes when he shot his first deer with a bow a couple weeks ago. He was about 150 yards from the parking lot/road and about 30 yard off the main trail.
All well and good.....just expect people to walk by your stand from time to time that close to the parking lot.

Exactly 300 feet down the trail there's the guy in a ladder stand that wasn't there last weekend and he's giving me the stank eye. Just said sorry dude and kept walking. Ffs he's 300 feet from the parking lot. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 anyway I'm in my sit for the evening. Fingers crossed.

Hunters do strange things sometimes.

I used to hunt a small white oak flat that was in an unlikely spot on a small bench. I shot three or four deer there over a couple of years and a young hunter saw me coming out of there and must have gone in to see where I was after the fact. A week later I went back into the spot and “someone“ had hunt three hang on stands in there all one stick high. I had to duck to go under them. He must have been afraid of heights or something.😆😆😆😆.

Bob

So headed out for an afternoon sit. Went to a wma. One truck parked in the lot when I arrived. Well......I'll pick a direction ans go.....there's a beaten path that I assume the other guy won't be on cuz well.....its the beaten path everyone uses.....figure ill take that in a bit then find the low land steam I have picked out that I've seen a ton of tracks and deer shit going down. Exactly 300 feet down the trail there's the guy in a ladder stand that wasn't there last weekend and he's giving me the stank eye. Just said sorry dude and kept walking. Ffs he's 300 feet from the parking lot. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 anyway I'm in my sit for the evening. Fingers crossed.

Wouldn't happen to be in the Blackstone area, would it? Went out squirrel hunting last week and on my way back after making a loop I was walking the trail back to my truck and saw a ladder stand which seemed oddly close to the trail and parking area.

Wouldn't happen to be in the Blackstone area, would it? Went out squirrel hunting last week and on my way back after making a loop I was walking the trail back to my truck and saw a ladder stand which seemed oddly close to the trail and parking area.
No not that wma.

Back
Top Bottom