without a truck?

Well, you can always sit it beside you, in the front seat. Maybe the deer will qualify as a multi-passenger in the speed lane while driving through Boston.[wink]

I have a buddy who uses his cars trunk lined with plastic sheeting. He further wraps the deer in a small blue tarp. He has never had a problem with blood leaking from both layers.... As dear old dad alway said "Double wrap that sucker"

I have stuck two in the back of a Cadillac. One at a time and different years. I did get some comments when I went to check the deer in. Ended up telling the guy at the check in station I learned it from Tony Soprano. He laughed. If you get a small tarp and line the trunk with it then its not to bad. Just take the tarp out and hose it off. At one time you had to have the deer exposed but it seems now in New Hampshire they don't want that. Seems looking at dead animals upsets the sheeple that think all food comes in plastic bags. Not sure about in Mass.

PhilsDoe001.jpg

So I'm still working on taking my first deer, and deer season is coming up. So the question is, does anyone have any suggestions how to transport a deer without access to a truck?

Don't you have a hatchback Subaru wagon? It should fit inside that.

Lots of plastic in the trunk and tie it shut. Just remember in Mass until the animal is checked in part of it has to be visible outside the vehicle. Just leave a hoof sticking out.

I put a deer in my Camry trunk two years ago. The owner wouldn't allow me to gut it on the property because she has a dog. Blood went everywhere (around the plastic), and it stinks to this day, after bleaching like crazy.

In the future, they will be tied on the trunk (not the hood due to the heat of the engine).

I was thinking about getting a reciever hitch (about $150) for my Nissan Sentra, so I can put deer on the same type of reciever hitch rack as pictured above. Now that you mention it, the exhaust may pose issues...

I was thinking about getting a reciever hitch (about $150) for my Nissan Sentra, so I can put deer on the same type of reciever hitch rack as pictured above. Now that you mention it, the exhaust may pose issues...

Well that's the thing. I was considering doing the exact same thing with my Tucson, then I got to thinking about the dual exhaust pointed directly rearward. I don't think it would be as much of an issue if you had an exhaust that directed out to the side.

Straight from the Cabela's Hitch Haul product description: This carrier is not recommended for use with vehicles that have exhaust pipes that vent straight back (toward the carrier). The heat could cause damage to items on the carrier.

So it seems this could be an issue with vehicles that have the exhaust pointing straight back. With my sentra, the hitch/rack and contents (deer) would be above the exit of the exhaust pipe, so I might be ok.

I wish I took a picture of the 11 pt (~135 lbs dressed) I had hanging out of the truck of my Corolla 4 door sedan 8 years ago! [laugh] My 12 yr old mini pu had just died and all I could afford at the time was a Corolla. I sprayed the inside of my truck first with tick killer and laid down a blue tarp. I slung the body inside and had the head and the feet tied to the truck supports and then tied down the truck so it didn't bounce so much. You should have been the double takes of people passing me LOL!!! It was a short ride to the CT deer check station/office and my friend couldn't believe the deer fit in my truck. Deer was gutted and I drained out as much blood as so there wasn't much of a mess. After it got the metal band tag, I drove it back to my friend's home and quartered it up and the meat fit inside the cooler. Deer was old and he got the last laugh - worse tasting deer I ever got. Sad to say it was the last deer I took. I stopped hunting after that. Hope to get back into it again some time again. [grin]

Current MA Hunter Education curriculum cautions against any open display of a dead animal on your vehicle.

AT LEAST wrap it completely in a tarp, per their advice.

The belief is that an open display of a dead animal is very bad form for any sportsman interested in future support for pro-hunting legislation. You'd be surprised how many folks don't want to deal with traumatized kids at the sight of your trophy kill.

Take the advice any way you'd like.

Current MA Hunter Education curriculum cautions against any open display of a dead animal on your vehicle.

The belief is that an open display of a dead animal is very bad form for any sportsman interested in future support for pro-hunting legislation. You'd be surprised how many folks don't want to deal with traumatized kids at the sight of your trophy kill.

F em!!!! A little reality lesson on where meat really comes from is good for them!!

Is there anything you won't do to avoid controversy?

Back
Top Bottom