Winter Warrior Milsurp Postal Match

Well today was certainly not my finest.
Not sure if it was my tired eyes on 4 hours of sleep, the load, a little of both.
5 misses, although they did cluster nicely up on the cardboard above the target.
Hoping to get back on track with a Lee-Enfield trip next week if I get the chance.
View attachment 215368
View attachment 215369 View attachment 215370 View attachment 215371
Nah that's just mosinitis. I have not met a decent shooting 91/30 yet. A few original snipers under 3moa witnessed and one bedded M39 kept 2 5 shot groups at 2moa in supported prone position.

Nah that's just mosinitis. I have not met a decent shooting 91/30 yet. A few original snipers under 3moa witnessed and one bedded M39 kept 2 5 shot groups at 2moa in supported prone position.
My Mosin is a little more beat up than a lot that I see and has never been particularly great.
This was actually the first time I ever fired it at a paper target, only ever plates (and a car).
Nevertheless, it was my first centerfire so it will always have a special place in my collection.

I didn't realize M1 was fair game. It's really tempting to break one out but I think I'll do the Enfield.
Over the winter I want to put some tung oil on the special's new CMP stock. Just haven't bought any yet.

Got some aged tung oil (c. 2009) still works.

T
Yeah I've seen some "pure tung oil" on Amazon and whatnot. Probably just looks for some reviews although maybe it's all the same. I've never separated the handguards so that will be a new experience, just hope I don't mung anything up.

I find it at most paint stores, benjiman Moore, Sherman Williams. Its been Hopes brand and I buy the small contained.
Milktree is supposed to be good stuff also. I might try milk tree dark tung oil next.

The bottle I have is Real Milk Paint Co.

Took the K98 to the range today. GTI said 33F, 2" snow on the ground, stiff 20mph wind. Wasn't at my best; a pair of 80s. Left target was first. Better group second try, but drifted a little left. I guess I'll eventually trot out all my bolt actions, or as long as this lasts. Gew98, Kar98a, M03, M03A3, Savage Enfield, T99, ex-Dragoon, Gew88.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4137.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 13
I'm thinking I need a prize or at least bragging rights recognition for whoever drags out the most rifles.

Because the Finns were such gracious winners of the Winter War, they made a 2nd place trophy for the Russians:

tumblr_mng8smhidX1ru5lhzo1_500-3975.jpg

Fun day at the range today and was more then a little surprised at my results. I will have to say that I want to give a few of my rifles a second chance. At the end it was getting dark, I was cold and I was calling my bad shots in my head before I even checked. 30 degrees with a stiff breeze shooting prone. So at the end my results were as follows.

Results:
6. German K98 81-0x This was a big surprise as I've shot this rifle much better in the past. I was shooting crappy PPU 196gr soft points. Just couldn't zero them in.
5. Enfield No 4 Mk1 83-0x This was also a surprise as I've also shot this rifle much better.
4. SA 1903A3 85-0x This was my last rifle to shoot and I was shooting like crap at this point.
3. M1 Garand 89-2x
2. MI Carbine 90-1x
1. Mosin Nagant 91/30 97-4x This rifle was on fire and the biggest surprise today.

IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0962.JPG IMG_0960.JPG

Hey Rockrivr, do we need to tell you which one is actually the Mosin? Just kidding, of course- that's a damn nice target and one of the best 91/30 scores I have seen. Nice shooting!

Fun day at the range today and was more then a little surprised at my results. I will have to say that I want to give a few of my rifles a second chance. At the end it was getting dark, I was cold and I was calling my bad shots in my head before I even checked. 30 degrees with a stiff breeze shooting prone. So at the end my results were as follows.

Results:
6. German K98 81-0x This was a big surprise as I've shot this rifle much better in the past. I was shooting crappy PPU 196gr soft points. Just couldn't zero them in.
5. Enfield No 4 Mk1 83-0x This was also a surprise as I've also shot this rifle much better.
4. SA 1903A3 85-0x This was my last rifle to shoot and I was shooting like crap at this point.
3. M1 Garand 89-2x
2. MI Carbine 90-1x
1. Mosin Nagant 91/30 97-4x This rifle was on fire and the biggest surprise today.

View attachment 215465 View attachment 215466 View attachment 215467 View attachment 215468 View attachment 215469 View attachment 215470 View attachment 215471
I think the cold blinded you to what rifle you used :confused:
Cold weather is not easy to shoot in. Some ammo is temp sensitive as are the rifle.

Hey Rockrivr, do we need to tell you which one is actually the Mosin? Just kidding, of course- that's a damn nice target and one of the best 91/30 scores I have seen. Nice shooting!

Ha! Thanks. I haven't shot this Mosin in a lot of years and to be honest it's accuracy was surprising me big time

HeadedNorth, I was using surplus 54r ammo that came in a paper wrapper held together with some old twine. I guess the rifle and ammo are suited for the cold weather like Mac1911 indicated. Go figure....

Ha! Thanks. I haven't shot this Mosin in a lot of years and to be honest it's accuracy was surprising me big time

HeadedNorth, I was using surplus 54r ammo that came in a paper wrapper held together with some old twine. I guess the rifle and ammo are suited for the cold weather like Mac1911 indicated. Go figure....
Now what ever you do do not take that mosin apart!
My goal is to someday get my mosin to at least get all 10 rounds in the black!

Now what ever you do do not take that mosin apart!
My goal is to someday get my mosin to at least get all 10 rounds in the black!

No, he should take it all apart and report the details to us: Torque for all the screws, detailed measurement of stock to action and barrel fit, inner stock dimensions to 0.0001" accuracy, etc.

LOL, agree that Rockrivr should leave that one alone.

Nice shooting. If I get around to charging/seating those 303 Brit cases I'll take the Enfield Mon or Tuesday, otherwise I'll do an M1 and leave the Enfield for the end of the week (as long as I find time).

I've also found surplus 54R to have better accuracy than some production ammo in my 91/30, go figure.
I was looking at the forecast and we have a bunch of 32+ degree days, but since there's snow cover, we're still good to go if I understand correctly. For fairness I'll try to skip the 45° day in the forecast for this week.

Snow cover qualifies, regardless of temp.

I may shoot some targets with odd lots of leftover match ammo- for fun but also to keep my lots of match brass loaded consistently.

Nice shooting. If I get around to charging/seating those 303 Brit cases I'll take the Enfield Mon or Tuesday, otherwise I'll do an M1 and leave the Enfield for the end of the week (as long as I find time).

I've also found surplus 54R to have better accuracy than some production ammo in my 91/30, go figure.
I was looking at the forecast and we have a bunch of 32+ degree days, but since there's snow cover, we're still good to go if I understand correctly. For fairness I'll try to skip the 45° day in the forecast for this week.
a lot of surplus will run closer to .310-312" bullet.... much of the commercial stuff runs 308 to keep things safe for the finnish rifles. most load data is for 308. 308s work good in some rifles. My friend loads 147 grain M80 pulls in his mosin which looks like the barrel was brand new. he can post 2 moa for about 8 rounds then the heat opens it up a bit

Did up 40 rounds of .303 Brit tonight for this week.
Used 150gr projectile, went with Varget instead of IMR3031 this time.

Attachments

• 20171217_222414.jpg
    20171217_222414.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 9
D56C260A-86B7-451B-BE4D-B7210BB445C8.jpeg D72B5EB9-53B0-4AB9-9644-60814B355B3B.jpeg 0CE50CCB-00BB-41E7-812B-6E9F0896F9C7.jpeg Ok, I’ll admit today’s weather was NOT in the spirit of this match. There was however still snow on the ground in Pembroke and it did get colder as I shot right up to dusk.
I’m shooting my M1, elbows on the bench, with factory S&B M2 ball.
Five sighters and three “for score”
Shot a 96 3x and a 96 0x.
As a side note, I finally picked up my own spotting scope. It came with a cell phone eye piece adaptor, so I actually have video as well. I shot rapid fire, and hearing me fumble around with the 8rd enbloc is painful.

Nice shooting', and rapid fire too.

Looks like we have some warmer weather for a few days, so I thought I'd clarify snow cover:

If in your range parking lot there is a big enough pile of snow to prop up a frozen Soviet soldier a la Finn style, it qualifies. :D

Of course I'm not 'in' my own match, but might have a chance to shoot tomorrow afternoon.

Hey, would the participants mind if I switch the prize from a $50 Cabelas to a $50 Amazon card? You could use it via Amazon Smile which sends a donation to Comm2A. That and Cabelas is on my sh!t list.

Last edited:
Well the true prize is the lofty title of NES Winter Warrior and bragging rights, of course. As some meager incentive to participate, I'm giving away a $50 gift card. Planning to use Amazon rather than Cabelas. I'll post later in a separate thread why I'm PO'd at Cabelas.

Back
Top Bottom