Windage knob on M1 Garand

My new to me Garand has a windage knob which seems to be frozen in place. I followed the guidance in the guidebook which came from CMP and verified the sight tension is ok. There was verbiage on what to do if the elevation knob was difficult to turn, but there was nothing on the windage knob.

On Saturday I will be field stripping the weapon for a cleaning. I was wondering if I should spray break free or WD-40 around the knob and hope that frees it up.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend?

I have not as yet spoken to the Armorer at CMP about this...

Thank you!!

They can turn really hard sometimes. Blast some WD40 in there to soften any dried up grease.

Please check and see if there you can loosen the screw on the "elevation" side.... The screw on the opposite sides control the amount of tension require to turn the knobs....

Please check and see if there you can loosen the screw on the "elevation" side.... The screw on the opposite sides control the amount of tension require to turn the knobs....

Both screws turn. I'm using a flat head screwdriver on the windage knob, it doesn't quite seem to be the correct type. It doesn't look like a Philips head or Torxx head either. I'm waiting for my Garand Multi-tool to arrive from CTD.

Back
Top Bottom