Winchester Ranger 9mm 115 gr +P+ any good?

Didn't find much info on the forum here about this ammo but Ayoob's SIG book praises it.

I'm looking for good SD ammo for my P226 and Kahr MK9.

Is this a good pick for both arms?

all winchester ranger is good ammo...instead of getting the +p stuff look instead for the stuff marked T

i cant tell you what the T stands for but lets just say that the "petals" have some of the best expansion and cutting capabilities of all HP ammo

all winchester ranger is good ammo...instead of getting the +p stuff look instead for the stuff marked T

While 99% of Win Ranger is great ammo, there are a few PN's here
and there which are basically repackaged black box SXT stuff, and
the new black box Win SXT bullets (consumer grade) are basically shit.
(poor test results in balgel) This is typically identified by the PN, eg,
"RA45T" is a typical Ranger-T PN; any of those PNs that are a
string of only numbers, is the crap SXT ammo. There is currrently
a metric ton of the crap SXT rebadged stuff hitting the secondary
market, eg, CDNN, and other vendors are pawning it off as the real
thing. (Well, I won't say its the vendors fault so much as it is
Winchester's, for trying to mislead people into believing they're getting
a Ranger-T loading. )

IMO in this caliber he'd be better off with the 127gn +P+ - it has
better test results, etc. I'd never use a 115 gr loading in
9mm for anything but practice.

-Mike

+p+ Hydrashok

I got a ton of this in 124gr with the real Hydrashoks with the point in the center. I saw tests studies showing 1 shot stops of 92% compared to the Winchester of 90%. Anyone have any experience? When shooting them they recoil just like a 40s&w, pretty potent I think.
Paul

Be careful with +p+ ammo.

This ammo is above accepted chamber pressures. No manufacturer I know certifies their firearm for the higher pressures. Sure, SOME firearms are built strong enough. Many are not. Rather than trying to get more out of a caliber, just upgrade to a larger caliber.

careful

I use it only in my Glock 17 and very sparingly, like 50 rds a month to test point of impact. I would trust it in a Glock or HK but no alloy framed gun.
Paul

I got a ton of this in 124gr with the real Hydrashoks with the point in the center. I saw tests studies showing 1 shot stops of 92% compared to the Winchester of 90%. Anyone have any experience? When shooting them they recoil just like a 40s&w, pretty potent I think.
Paul

One shot stops is a dubious concept; In reality you can end up
with a BG that will drop from one shot from a 9, and another BG
that might take 10 shots on the other end. If you're looking at
M+S's data, it's been widely discredited. The things you want
to look at is depth of penetration and reliable expansion through
clothing. And that's in the realm of ballistics; priority-1 should
be hitting your targets. [smile]

Be careful with +p+ ammo.

This ammo is above accepted chamber pressures. No manufacturer I know certifies their firearm for the higher pressures. Sure, SOME firearms are built strong enough. Many are not. Rather than trying to get more out of a caliber, just upgrade to a larger caliber.

Most modern duty pistols can handle a moderate diet of commercial
mainstream (eg, win ranger) +P+ 9mm loadings without any
trouble. Examples would be, Sig P series, Glocks, HK USP,
etc. Outside of that realm, things can get hairy. And even
then, IMO there's only one +P+ 9mm load thats even worth
using, which is the Win ranger 127 gn. Most other +P+ 9mm
loads are poor performers in testing anyways- most of the
commercial offerings are 115gn which doesn't penetrate far
enough.

I agree that generally, if one wants a hot 9mm they should just
move up the scale anyways- at that point just go to .357Sig!

I can say with good certainty I wouldn't run +P anything in
older handguns (like a BHP) or extremely light handguns (like a
Kel Tec) or junk grade handguns like jennings, etc. (but those
are more useful as rifle targets than they are firearms, anyways).

-Mike

Mike, you left out Rugers, which are built like tanks. I think the manual says +P is OK, but not positive on that and also not sure on the +P+.

For the MK9, check out the Speer Gold Dot short barrel. It's a 124 grain +P that's specifically designed for short barrels. So far it's been very reliable in my PM9, whereas I had quite a few misfeeds with Federal. (I haven't done any ballistics testing, but Speer is usually good stuff....)

For the MK9, check out the Speer Gold Dot short barrel. It's a 124 grain +P that's specifically designed for short barrels. So far it's been very reliable in my PM9, whereas I had quite a few misfeeds with Federal. (I haven't done any ballistics testing, but Speer is usually good stuff....)

Regular old 124 gr +P will probably work fine, too. It's also a lot cheaper to buy when you can find it in 50 round boxes.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with the GDHP SB stuff... some of it seems like a marketing gimmick, but who knows.

-Mike

Regular old 124 gr +P will probably work fine, too. It's also a lot cheaper to buy when you can find it in 50 round boxes.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with the GDHP SB stuff... some of it seems like a marketing gimmick, but who knows.

-Mike

Supposedly it expands better at lower velocities. The hollow point cavity appears to be a tiny bit deeper and wider than that the "regular" 9mm Gold Dot.

Supposedly it expands better at lower velocities. The hollow point cavity appears to be a tiny bit deeper and wider than that the "regular" 9mm Gold Dot.

That's exactly what it is. That way it opens up better at slower velocities.

I wish they would at least sell it in 50 round boxes. I only ever see it in the 20 round ripoff boxes, and it averages at least a dollar a shot or more in most gun stores. The 50s are often almost half that price.

-Mike

GDHP short barrel has faster burning powder, to maximize velocity out of a short barrel. Very reliable with good penetration and expansion.

Back
Top Bottom