Winchester 1897 Trench Shotgun

I've got the Norinco version of this. I'm never letting it go. I've also got a genuine Winchester '97 (the upland version, with what seems like about an eight-foot barrel) and it's the only shotgun design I'm interested in ever owning.

The Norinco copies are scary close.

I've got the Norinco version of this. I'm never letting it go. I've also got a genuine Winchester '97 (the upland version, with what seems like about an eight-foot barrel) and it's the only shotgun design I'm interested in ever owning.

The Norinco copies are scary close.

Mine doesn't have the heat shield, is it as simple as buying a '97 heat shield and putting it on?

I need to get a bayonet for mine. Anyone near central mass want to part with one?

I've got the repro. It works fine. I'm usually not into repros, but given the fact that fixing a bayo to this thing is a complete LARP move, I was fine with saving the money.

I've got the repro. It works fine. I'm usually not into repros, but given the fact that fixing a bayo to this thing is a complete LARP move, I was fine with saving the money.

you should see it on the M1917...it looks equally ridiculous. I have two rifles in the running for ‘the longest long gun’ in my safe contest. My M1917 with fixed standard bayonet and my Schmidt Rubin G1911 with my engineers 1914 ‘saw back’ bayonet. I’m going to have to measure/compare when I get home.

Mine doesn't have the heat shield, is it as simple as buying a '97 heat shield and putting it on?
Yes and no.

1. Barrell needs to be cut. I think 20".
2. Install the heat shield. Might require partial drilling for one screw. I forget.
3. Weld bead sight. Unless the heat shield and bayonet lug already come with one. (The link I posted below already has this).

If you ever do all that, check your barrel, as the civilian version had a thinner barrel (what I was told). If you have doubts, contact the dude that makes the heat shields.

A gun smith could probably do all that in 1hr. I have read about it and it is not a lot of work.

you should see it on the M1917...it looks equally ridiculous. I have two rifles in the running for ‘the longest long gun’ in my safe contest. My M1917 with fixed standard bayonet and my Schmidt Rubin G1911 with my engineers 1914 ‘saw back’ bayonet. I’m going to have to measure/compare when I get home.

Yeah, I've had a SMLE with an 07 bayo before... Felt like carrying a spear.

I'm not a shotgun guy but I'd like one of these...

They're awesome. Especially when you bring that trigger disconnector into play and just whale away with the pump.

Funnest thing I've ever done with a firearm, and I've fired a Mk19.

Not sure if its the exact same make/model, but a couple of the grunts were issued these back in the 90's.
They were in Bco 187th.
Its the heat shield that reminds me of it.

By that time, probably not. Though it's possible.

The 97 served alongside the more modern (and safer for Joe) Model 1912, plus some other designs, all through the 20th century. I think they all had the perforated shroud though.

Yes and no.

1. Barrell needs to be cut. I think 20".
2. Install the heat shield. Might require partial drilling for one screw. I forget.
3. Weld bead sight. Unless the heat shield and bayonet lug already come with one. (The link I posted below already has this).

If you ever do all that, check your barrel, as the civilian version had a thinner barrel (what I was told). If you have doubts, contact the dude that makes the heat shields.

A gun smith could probably do all that in 1hr. I have read about it and it is not a lot of work.

I have the 18" Norinco replica, looks like it may need some slight modification but not sure still. I'll give it a try

By that time, probably not. Though it's possible.

The 97 served alongside the more modern (and safer for Joe) Model 1912, plus some other designs, all through the 20th century. I think they all had the perforated shroud though.

You're probably right.
It was the heat shield made it stand out. Looked intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom