• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchendon Full Appleseed planning thread

OK, seems time to start a thread about organizing a full weekend Appleseed shoot in Winchendon!!

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ABOUT ORGANIZING THE SHOOT. WHEN WE HAVE A "GREEN LIGHT" FROM THE BOD AT WINCHENDON R&G I'LL START AN "ANNOUNCEMENT/ATTENDANCE" THREAD. THANKS.

Last edited:
October 11-12, Columbus day weekend, was suggested by Nickle. This sounds ok to me.

Camping has been suggested and I think would add to the event. There's a large field and small pond on the property that can accomodate that.

There's also a covered pavilion with a large grill. We could do some cooking (by those who don't shoot rifleman?)

Shooting can be accomodated at 25meters and/or 100yds. What should I put to the BOD?

There would need to be a modest range fee per shooter (insurance requirements). Maybe 5-10$

Porta-potties: We'd probably want to get one no matter what as it is a walk to the club house.

Advertising: I can get this in the local papers once it is ok'd. Does appleseed have an official flyer?

Publicity: Has appleseed ever invited press? (local papers, etc) Maybe it would be a good opportunity for some exposure?

October 11-12, Columbus day weekend, was suggested by Nickle. This sounds ok to me.

It would be nice, and I KNOW I have that weekend free, as of now.

Camping has been suggested and I think would add to the event. There's a large field and small pond on the property that can accomodate that.

Camping is good, and reduces costs for folks.

There's also a covered pavilion with a large grill. We could do some cooking (by those who don't shoot rifleman?)

Also would be nice, especially for the campers.

Shooting can be accomodated at 25meters and/or 100yds. What should I put to the BOD?

25 meters is a must, as the program revolves around that. 100 yards can be done, but truth be known, first time around with any location, I prefer to do just 25 meters, and make more Riflemen.

There would need to be a modest range fee per shooter (insurance requirements). Maybe 5-10$

Just so you know, RWVA has it's own insurance, and the event would be covered. That being said, a modest range fee is no problem.

Porta-potties: We'd probably want to get one no matter what as it is a walk to the club house.

No problem. RWVA will pick up the tab for a Porta-pottie in this case.

Advertising: I can get this in the local papers once it is ok'd. Does appleseed have an official flyer?

There will be an event specific flyer made, once the event gets approved.

Publicity: Has appleseed ever invited press? (local papers, etc) Maybe it would be a good opportunity for some exposure?

No problem. Please know that the Shoot Boss is who they need to talk to when they get there, so we make sure they see stuff that is representative of the program, not stuff that isn't. Best for them to see the program for what it is when done properly.

FYI: This is the range:

club.jpg

Camping would be on the 200yd range (it is only rarely used as a range and easy to shut down) or by the pond. We would shoot on the 100yd range.

I think we could easily accomodate 30 shooters, 40 might be "snug".

October 11-12 works for me.

Camping - great idea. I don't live too far away, but who doesn't like camping?

Cooking - It wouldn't be camping without it. I can bring a couple of fire barrels too.

Put 25m, 100 and 200 yards to the BOD. Like Nickle said, "...this would be good for the shooters to verify their Battlesight Zero." If we end up not using 200 yards - no harm done. If we want it and never asked, well that is a different story.

200 yard range?

Hmm, this would be good for the shooters to verify their Battlesight Zero.

What is the width of the firing line, in feet?

Shooting at 200 yds is a little odd. It's not really set up well for that. I'll take a look when I'm down tonight at the 200 yd line, but I'd have to guess that may 5-10 shooters would fit. Also, from the 200yd line you can't see the whole back stop or 100yd range. Personally it makes me a little uncomfortable. (see threads about 4-wheelers).

Matt

I'm hoping this goes under "planning".
As it stands right now, my wife and I are planning for this. She'll be a shooter but I'd like to try my hand at IIT and lend a hand. I'm not sure if I meet all the criteria. The only Appleseed I've attended was Crak's super duper mini at Harvard.

I got preliminary approval from the club president tonight. I will go to the BOD on the first Monday of August to get the paperwork signed.

He was totally on board with camping (he mentioned it first), shooting from whatever range we wanted, food, etc.

The club has other events in October, so we'll need to work the date out still. I'll try to reserve the open days this weekend.

I'm getting excited! This could be allot to fun!

Great news!

Matt, can you fill out the two forms for Winchendon in the sticky post about Getting Appleseeds and pm them over to me?

This helps a ton because our normal MO around here is to get board approval way in advance, and then take forever getting those forms in and to promo-copter never gets off the ground. I'm twice as guilty as anybody else ever has been about this in the history of Appleseed, so no, I'm not singling anybody out. If we get those forms in early, then the promo machine is ready to go THE DAY the board approves.

Last edited:
Great news!

Matt, can you fill out the two forms for Winchendon in the sticky post about Getting Appleseeds and pm them over to me?

This helps a ton because our normal MO around here is to get board approval way in advance, and then take forever getting those forms in and to promo-copter never gets off the ground. I'm twice as guilty as anybody else ever has been about this in the history of Appleseed, so no, I'm not singling anybody out. If we get those forms in early, then the promo machine is ready to go THE DAY the board approves.

PM sent with what info I have at this point.

Camping with guns !

AFAIK, I can IIT that weekend.

I'd like to assist as an IIT also, if I can make both Bennington & Proctor (and I'm already signed up...) this will get me my Red Hat ! [smile]

I live about 15 min away but "Camping with guns !" Who can resist that ?

Who is bring the marshmello's ?

<Flounder> This is gonna be grrrrreat !</Flounder>

Back
Top Bottom