Win 748 for Garand

Anyone have experience with using 748 pushing a 150gr bullet in a Garand?

My load is 48gr of Win748 with a 150gr Sierra FMJBT at 3.300 OAL with a Large Rifle Primer

It fires but does not cycle or I don't think it even attempts to cycle the action

What's your Win 748 load that works? [grin]

I've got a CMP Special Grade SA M1 Garand with a garandgear ported gas plug if it matters
It fires Greek surplus M2 ball flawlessly

Last edited:
My "standard" load for the M1 is a 165 grain Sierra Game King, in front of 46.0 grains of Win748 ignited by a CCI #250 (LRM) primer. Has always worked flawlessly; is accurate; and 748 meters like water.

Re install your original gas plug that came with the rifle.
If your reloading you have control over the correct powder and no need for the after market gas plug.

Just keep adding powder till it cries uncle and starts cycling, no seriously what the previous poster said should cure your cycling whoas.

Dean

you can also email hornady and they will give the proper load data for the M1 garand and win 748

you can also email hornady and they will give the proper load data for the M1 garand and win 748. The 7th addition hornady manual list 748 for 168gn and heavier bullets for M1 load data.

Ah I suppose I can just screw the ported one in only when and if I fire commercial 30-06 rounds.

Thanks I'll try the load again but I'll ease it down a bit from 48gr
Maybe 46.5

Do I have to use a magnum primer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

you can also email hornady and they will give the proper load data for the M1 garand and win 748. The 7th addition hornady manual list 748 for 168gn and heavier bullets for M1 load data.

I have the Lyman 49th book and will pick up a Speer and Hornady one. Does Sierra have one?

I have the Lyman 49th book and will pick up a Speer and Hornady one. Does Sierra have one?

I can speak for the other manuals, I only have the hornady 7th with actual M1 data. I have never been turned down for information from powder or any company that puts out a published book for reload data. Phone calls and emails always get me the information I need or questions.

Yes, 48 grains of 748 and a 150 grain fmjbt is a load I've used often. My M1 is a service grade from the CMP. I've found that I need to use a magnum primer in .30/06 but my M16 loads with 748 function fine and are more accurate with a standard primer. I found that with WC846 I need to use a magnum primer in .30/06 but not in .223. I'm guessing it's a capacity issue but I don't know.

I wont say 748 is not safe or it is safe but the little data Winchester/hodgdon web site gives is limitted for 30-06. Hornady gives a Max of 48.5 grains with a 168 grain bullet.
On the hodgdon web site they list a nosler 150gn BT with a Max of 48 grains 748
With a velocity around 2800 fps. Should cycle a garand with ease...I would think.

I just ordered a Hornady and Speer book.
I will try it out by putting the original plug back on. I guess I can just use my commercial stuff in my M1903

Thanks guys

I have personally burned over 100 pounds of the slower WC 862 canister powders through 6 different M1s before the internet and bent op rod theoretical musings. 748 is sure as hell good to go in Garand.

I have personally burned over 100 pounds of the slower WC 862 canister powders through 6 different M1s before the internet and bent op rod theoretical musings. 748 is sure as hell good to go in Garand.
It may be good to go but may not be the best choice?
I'm just going on what I see in the load data I have on hand. I read many articles with poor ignition with 748 with out a magnum primer ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom