Williams scope mount drill fixture

RDG

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...jigs/scope-mount-drill-fixture-prod16326.aspx

anybody have any experience with this tool? Worth it for $100?

i want to drill and tap my Ruger Mark II for a Red dot. I found the spec sheet from Ruger with hole location, drill and tap size and depth. The only thing I would really need to buy would be a bottom tap for the front two holes.

Saw this tool online and was curious if it would be worth it. Any chance anybody has one and would let me borrow it for some beer or ammo?

unless you plan on doing several DT jobs you might be better off just letting Greg Derr DT for you. I like to do a lot of things myself but the cost of tooling sometimes. makes no sense. Greg Derr did my 513t rifle and did a great job.

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-USA-Scope-Mount/dp/B004K88GJU

yeah I'm kinda back and forth on this one. Greg's just too far away but a local smith charges $20 a hole to D&T. Basically I could justify the fixture if I did this job twice.

Looks just like the B-Square, for a lot less money. It doesn't include the drill or tap, but at that price you could buy the D&T and still be ahead of the game.

That style jig wouldn't work for my MKII. It's made for a receiver with more of an "open" action like a bolt action rifle.

yeah I'm kinda back and forth on this one. Greg's just too far away but a local smith charges $20 a hole to D&T. Basically I could justify the fixture if I did this job twice.
you might give greg a call and ask for a more local recommendation ?
Not sure if or experience with DT with the small taps and drills. I have broken my share of taps and bits trying to do things myself... I throw cost out the window when I get the "I AM GOING TO DO THIS" stuck in my head! Now Im thinking of DT my MKII for my daughter?

http://www.jackweigand.com/rm2fd.html I was thinking this one then just DT 2 mounting holes up fromnt to keep it all in place ?

you might give greg a call and ask for a more local recommendation ?
Not sure if or experience with DT with the small taps and drills. I have broken my share of taps and bits trying to do things myself... I throw cost out the window when I get the "I AM GOING TO DO THIS" stuck in my head! Now Im thinking of DT my MKII for my daughter?

http://www.jackweigand.com/rm2fd.html I was thinking this one then just DT 2 mounting holes up fromnt to keep it all in place ?

I bought the Clark base. It looks similar to the factory a Ruger base (which I like) and uses the same holes as the factory.

- - - Updated - - -

The MKII isn't tapped for the standard Ruger Weaver rail mount? Or are you trying to eliminate that piece and mount the RDS directly to the MKII?

No, most of the MKIIs aren't D&T from the factory.

Ruger is now drilling and tapping the Mark II, something they wouldn't do years ago, hence those "spec sheets" they used to send out. They will send you a pre paid label to ship the firearm for $30.00. The D&T is $65.00. Not cheap but at least you know it's done to factory specs and you don't end up with an F'ed up receiver.

Ruger is now drilling and tapping the Mark II, something they wouldn't do years ago, hence those "spec sheets" they used to send out. They will send you a pre paid label to ship the firearm for $30.00. The D&T is $65.00. Not cheap but at least you know it's done to factory specs and you don't end up with an F'ed up receiver.

Cool, didn't know that. Only have my hands on a MKIII, which is D&T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a cost effective job for the DIY guy. The holes are blind,meaning they go in the barrel and stop before going into the bore. Most mounts are 6-48 which is a gunsmith tap not a hardware shop tap, though you could use 6-40 if needed. The big issue is getting it straight and not breaking the tap in the hole. If it was a simple through hole, I would day go for it, but too much can go wrong on the Ruger. You can ship the slide barrel and mount if you like.

I don't think it's a cost effective job for the DIY guy. The holes are blind,meaning they go in the barrel and stop before going into the bore. Most mounts are 6-48 which is a gunsmith tap not a hardware shop tap, though you could use 6-40 if needed. The big issue is getting it straight and not breaking the tap in the hole. If it was a simple through hole, I would day go for it, but too much can go wrong on the Ruger. You can ship the slide barrel and mount if you like.

this..... as posted I have broken enough of these small taps to destroy any cost savings... I have done shotgun beads and pellet guns mostly. none of which are of any real value. even the scope hole jig from fosters doesn't work well with out a really good drill press or mill.......please don't ask how I know...,..another thing is most common( home depot) drill bits don't play well with guns not to mention they are pretty wobbly.

Rugertap_zps4bf0d30b.jpg

Drilling and tapping a Ruger MKII in the mill.

Back
Top Bottom