Will this past criminal offense disqualify me for ltc?

Back when I bought my first car around 1995 or so I was caught doing a burn out in my driveway. There happened to be an officer driving by at the time[frown]. He wrote me a criminal ticket with the charge being "harsh and objectionable noise" I cant remember if the charges were dropped of if I pled guilty and it was continued without a finding. I dont recall having to see a judge at all only the DA. Should I bother to get a CORI report done before I file my application? Will this effect my suitability to get a class a ltc? I have never been in any sort of trouble again since then. My city is a green city according to the sticky in this forum.

My first thought is that you most likely did not get a "criminal" charge for that but...... you should obtain a copy of your cori and subsequent court docket prior to submitting your application.

If you in fact did get charged criminally it should not be for anything deemed to be a "disqualifier" (speaking obviously without knowing what you truly were charged with).

There is always a possibility of a "suitability" issue but if your story is accurate it would be most unlikely that any Department would consider that conduct to rise to an unsuitablity level. But you never know.

Make sure you fully disclose everything in your application and if there is a "conviction" for a criminal offense you may wish to consult a firearms attorney (many here on this board) prior to submitting your application.

Good luck

Wow... I can't believe he gave you a ticket for that! That's ridiculous. I can't possibly see how that would be a problem.. but get your Cori.

I remember the ticket had criminal offense checked off. I dont think he had a laptop yet in his cruiser and spent almost on hour looking through a blue book of charges before he wrote the ticket. Is there a fast way to get either court reports or a cori without waiting? Can I go to the police department where this occurred and get a copy of the ticket or a report?

Off to find a notary public. How long does it usually take to get a report back?
So my issue is just answering question 10 truthfully and not the actual crime? As long as I am truthful this charge shouldnt make me unsuitable?

Off to find a notary public. How long does it usually take to get a report back?
So my issue is just answering question 10 truthfully and not the actual crime? As long as I am truthful this charge shouldnt make me unsuitable?

Statutorily speaking, yes, but the chief can deem you unsuitable for any reason or no reason.

Go to the clerk's window at the court where you appeared and get a copy of the actual docket sheet. You will walk out with it and then know exactly what went down.

For such events, I find it hard to believe that one would "forget the details" of whether or not he/she got charged with a crime...

Guess I'm lucky my first car was a used VW Bug!

Is there a facepalm smiley?

505.gif

Go to the clerk's window at the court where you appeared and get a copy of the actual docket sheet. You will walk out with it and then know exactly what went down.

I just got back from the court house. The charges were
1. operation of a motor vehicle, improper *
Judgment: responsible
2. uninsured motor vehicle
Judgment: dismissed
defendant discharged all counts; case closed
I forgot all about the no insurance charge, when you are 17 years old you dont take life as seriously as when you are 35 lol.
So....on my form I just answer question 10 as yes and fill in the details?

I forgot all about the no insurance charge, when you are 17 years old you dont take life as seriously as when you are 35 lol.
So....on my form I just answer question 10 as yes and fill in the details?

how is that "improper operation of a motor vehicle"? You were in your driveway, correct?

"Responsible" rather than "guilty" is used for civil infractions. My guess is that the criminal complaint was for the uninsured operation. If it's criminal, a "Yes" is required on question 10.

how is that "improper operation of a motor vehicle"? You were in your driveway, correct?

I was on my mothers property the entire time. The officer remembered me from the week before when he stopped my friends car and I was fresh with him. He apparently wanted to try and teach me a lesson. My mother had no interest in trying to fight it since I was not going to jail or anything for such a minor crime.

"Responsible" rather than "guilty" is used for civil infractions. My guess is that the criminal complaint was for the uninsured operation. If it's criminal, a "Yes" is required on question 10.

good catch on the "responsible" versus "guilty" part. Doesnt change the fact that, IMHO, since it was not in a public way, the cop can do anything. Then again, IANAL.

Not a public way Chapter 90 would not apply. About the only thing that would fly would be a town / city bylaw violation. Insurance nor registration is required for a vehicle on private property. Now if this is some sort of condo complex, multi-family it could be considered public - private and Ch 90 would apply. You may want to Consult and atty about having a revision of the case. The original judge can redo the decision: Revise and Revoke Sentence: post-conviction remedy of defendant asking the court to change his/her original sentence; sentencing judge may upon certain findings, revoke original sentence and order new sentence or deny the motion.

Best of luck to you

its not always necessary to have operation on a public way for a violation of ch.90.

For example, you can still be summons for Op after suspension if you are driving on a private way with a suspended license.

If his was listed as a misdemor at that time, today you can have your record sealed in boston. So long as you have not had any felonies or other "run-ins" with leo's

After 5 years in mass most non-sexual-violent-drug type of charges can be sealed and WILL NOT show up on cori- that is the way the new law is drafted, designed to let people get jobs ect.

Bottom line is your local cheif, if they do not want you to have an LTC they do not even need valid reason all they need to say is their town has enough LTC's!
Sorry- best of luck:)

If his was listed as a misdemor at that time, today you can have your record sealed in boston. So long as you have not had any felonies or other "run-ins" with leo's

After 5 years in mass most non-sexual-violent-drug type of charges can be sealed and WILL NOT show up on cori- that is the way the new law is drafted, designed to let people get jobs ect.

Bottom line is your local cheif, if they do not want you to have an LTC they do not even need valid reason all they need to say is their town has enough LTC's!
Sorry- best of luck:)

sealed records are irrelevant WRT LTC apps. - it will still show up

If his was listed as a misdemor [sic] at that time, today you can have your record sealed in boston. So long as you have not had any felonies or other "run-ins" with leo's

After 5 years in mass most non-sexual-violent-drug type of charges can be sealed and WILL NOT show up on cori- that is the way the new law is drafted, designed to let people get jobs ect [sic].

WRONG. They WILL show up and a sealed record is irrelevant for firearms licensing purposes.

its not always necessary to have operation on a public way for a violation of ch.90.

For example, you can still be summons for Op after suspension if you are driving on a private way with a suspended license.

As stated here, there are exceptions to the "public way" requirement, allowing a charge for certain acts on private land. I recall that much from my training in the Police Academy, but don't recall the details . . . too long ago.

Back
Top Bottom