wild blueberries bumper crop

I have never seen so many wild blueberries before! This year has been unreal for picking. I filled up a ton on the wapack trail this year.

582663_3695108939948_992515610_n.jpg

I planted some blueberry bushes this year and they've doubled in size since May.

There's a place in New Ipswich already open for picking. (no ticks [laugh] )

I picked 2 weeks ago in Amesbury at a pick you own place, filled one of my yellow pails 2" from the top. 16.5 pounds of BB! Only took us an hour. 2 adults and three 8-10 year olds.

The pie was awesome! (first one) I made 10 four quart freezer bags to pull out over the next year.

From the looks of our bushes we are probably going to get an easy 10 gallons of blackberries. I might look at trying some blackberry wine. We still have a lot of jam and syrup from last year. I cant get my kids to pick the blueberries. They will go out and eat them off the bushes but they dont want to pick them for a pie.

The raspberries in my yard are not coming in all that well. I think my issue was not trimming enough plants to leave the rest open for sun and pollinating.

Transplanted my blueberry bush and two raspberry bushes from my last apartment to this one, and they are doing very well, I should have berries next year, hopefully. Kind of upsetting, my buddy has a 20+ year old blueberry bush on his lake property and it is producing like crazy right now; wish mine was doing the same!

I just got back from hiking up north in the caribou speckled wilderness plus hiked the north/south baldfaces. Every peak was packed with wild blueberries too. Made for good breakfast with granola. Ticks need to be attached for awhile to get lyme disease. Problem solved with doing a tick check every time you go out. Ticks aren't very active in the Summer though compared to spring and fall. Ask my cats!

BTW, awesome swim holes if you are in that area: Emerald pool and Rattlesnake pool. Both were very cold but very refreshing. Awesome plunges without hitting bottom. Also, we were warned about very active black bears and at 3am the first night, I woke up hearing some pans rattling. I heard something sniffing around through the camp next but I put everything but the pans in the car before dark so no issues. The caretaker said it was probably a bear and laughed that some people think putting food in their tents will stop them.

Last edited:
There are lots of blueberries starting to ripen at the top of Blue Hill. It's a nice reward after a long climb on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom