Wife Finally Getting Her LTC

Hopefully at least. Applying for it in Salem. She didn't want to for the longest time because she didn't want to spend the money. After a long conversation with her father, he calls her the next day and says he'll pay for it all. Obviously, she's going to apply for LTC-A, but Salem being Salem, I have a question about what if she gets and FID instead...

With this new (new to me) ruling that all you need is an FID to have a handgun in the house, if I'm not home, and she uses my hand gun with an FID to defend herself, would she be considered "an authorized user"? I know someone's losing a license somewhere anyways, but is the whole "authorized user" thing at least covered?

Still trying to get my wife to apply! Congrats on starting the process. Does Salem not give out any LTC-a's? It's the same money for FID as LTC...I would say go for the LTC vs FID.

I know LTC, FID are the same price. Of course she's going to apply for LTC. I'm just thinking ahead for the "what if". It would seem to me that with an FID, she should be fine using a hand gun to defend herself inside the home. But I could be wrong?

I'm not aware of any PD that takes a LTC application and downgrades it to an FID card.

I do know of some PDs that take a LTC-A application and downgrade it to a LTC-B however. [frown]

Usually they just issue restricted LTC-As.

I have no idea where all the concerns come from with people thinking that PDs just arbitrarily downgrade LTC-A applicants to FIDs???????? [rolleyes]

Hopefully at least. Applying for it in Salem. She didn't want to for the longest time because she didn't want to spend the money. After a long conversation with her father, he calls her the next day and says he'll pay for it all. Obviously, she's going to apply for LTC-A, but Salem being Salem, I have a question about what if she gets and FID instead...

With this new (new to me) ruling that all you need is an FID to have a handgun in the house, if I'm not home, and she uses my hand gun with an FID to defend herself, would she be considered "an authorized user"? I know someone's losing a license somewhere anyways, but is the whole "authorized user" thing at least covered?

What is this new ruling about FID's and handguns?

If you need to defend yourself, who cares what tools you use. If the time comes, that's the last thing you should be thinking about!

If you need to defend yourself, who cares what tools you use. If the time comes, that's the last thing you should be thinking about!
I tell people at work all the time, " if it comes to it and I have to shoot someone and I get charged for what ever reason, I will gladly fight that fight every day for the of my life just because I still have my life"

I'm not aware of any PD that takes a LTC application and downgrades it to an FID card.

I do know of some PDs that take a LTC-A application and downgrade it to a LTC-B however. [frown]

Usually they just issue restricted LTC-As.

I have no idea where all the concerns come from with people thinking that PDs just arbitrarily downgrade LTC-A applicants to FIDs???????? [rolleyes]

I agree. Because to "downgrade an Ltc to an FID" is really just akin to denying a Ltc based on suitability.

My wife took the MFS course in June and has procrastinated getting the LTC application in. She's away for a few days so yesterday I called the PD and made her an appointment. Happy 35th anniversary sweetie.

Thanks. Now, what is a permit to purchase?

An ancient artifact that is no longer used but was left in MGL for no useful purpose.

Said PTP would cost you $100 and undergo the same investigation (4-6 month delay) as a LTC, was a "one-use only" item and still requires an FID which is another $100 and same investigation (4-6 month delay). So you can see it's double the cost and same delay as going for a LTC, thus it has no practical use!

She should have no problems getting a LTC-A in Salem as long as she does not have any kind of a record. She will most likely have a target and hunting restriction placed on it unless she can convince them she needs an unrestricted LTC (fat chance)

Back
Top Bottom