• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why YOU should build your own AR15 ?

Money savings wasn't a major factor for me building AR's. It was more along the lines of getting what I wanted right off the bat, without having a shit load of spare parts hanging around after the fact. As it sits, I did buy my first AR15 as a factory made model. I've since changed a good amount of parts on it.

IF you shop fairly smart, you won't spend a lot on changing parts. IMO, spending over $100 for BUIS is just foolish. Original MagPul BUIS are rock solid and budget friendly. You can get a wide range of handguards. I recently changed the drop-in handguard on my DPMS carbine to a freefloat model (from MAS Defense). Even with changing the gas block, parts came to about $80 (steel gas block, melonite nitride treated). That's for a nice 9.75" handguard that's NOT a cheese grater (top rail and then you put segments where you want them). I don't need a keymod handguard on my rifle. For stocks, MagPul is a good place to start. A CTR or ACS are both reasonably priced models. Or you could go with the fixed stocks they offer.

There are plenty of other budget friendly parts you can score without straining yourself, your budget, or internet connection.

IMO, best way to start when looking for an AR[15] is to decide what the firearm use will be. Do you want a 500 yard tack driver, or one for CQB? Are you planning to take out coyotes from hundreds of yards away? Or small varmints?

If I was building rifles with Aimpoints I wouldn't bother putting BUIS on them. Aimpoints are pretty indestructible. I actually have a couple lowers Im getting ready to build now this way. Light and simple.

That said on my primary rifle I'm running a Leupold on a LaRue QR mount and it has fold down BUIS because in general scopes aren't as forgiving to blatant abuse as Aimpoints are.

I agree with you completely.

I've also discovered the versatility of a magnified optic. I'm fond of the 1-4 scopes that were initially designed for dangerous game and are now being "tacticalized". All of my magnified optics are on guns that are being constantly tweaked. They are definitely NOT go-to guns.

By the way. After the class I referenced above, I built myself an AR with an aimpoint and a standard front sight. Its one of my favorites. The upper is a factory 10.5" LMT, with a LMT bolt carrier group. Its very very reliable.

This gun is very non-traditional, but there is no arguing with the fact that it weighs 5.2 lbs and with the Lothar Walther barrel, match trigger, and free float tube, is a legitimate MOA gun for the first 5 shots or so. After that the skinny barrel starts to walk. The optic is a Nikon Monarch 1.1-4.

I've experimented with a poor man's low mass operating system on this gun. I've removed the buffer weights and use an AR15 bolt carrier rather than the more popular M16 bolt carrier. Bolt bounce doesn't seem to be a problem. I've also clipped the recoil spring which has allowed me to use even less gas. (made possible by the ugly but light aluminum gas block. This is not a fighting gun. The light spring and minimal gas means that it needs to shoot ammo of a consistent power and needs to be kept clean for solid reliability. What you get for that is a lightning fast action and absolutely minimal recoil despite its low weight, which is only 6.1 lbs with the optic.

You may hate this. But its one of the fun things about building your own.

Last edited:
It really matters not people will continue to buy and modify. As for this guys prices they,seem to be close to average retail. Yes if you want the best prices you need to hunt them down and most likely internet sales. Walk into most retail gun stores and you will be hard pressed to find prices much less than what he mentions.
I learned the hardway and try to offer my pitfalls to new builders/buyers.
One thing he doesn't mention is shipping charges....they can,add up quick. Several places have a minimum shipping and handling charges which can be steep on small orders.
Example of shipping... a friend of mine realised he forgot certain items as he was building. 4 separate orders from the same vendor and it cost him 39$ just in shipping.
I think many new to AR shooters have no clue what they want from their AR so either go cool looking or inexpensive..... my first AR was a stag model 2 simple carbine with a flip up rear sight.
I just wanted a basic AR capable of hitting a 18"x20" target out to 100 yards with a 50 yard zero.

Then the infection hit and I began to struggle with builditis. I also struggled with DRNI syndrome.
Don't Really Need It syndrome.,....you will know you have this when you buy random good deals,for no good reason.... I built a 24" Kruger 204 varmint upper because it was cheap....why don't really know. I did unload it for a small gain ......luckily.
You also find yourself fighting the urge to assemble clones of factory models to see how much less you can build them for. My 1st was a clone of the S&W performance center target model.

Then if you get the itch to shoot the smallest groups possible you end up with reloadism, smallgroupitis, and then after all the tacticool,optic,operator isims have beaten you down you find a urge to go back to basics like a plain Jane A2 rifle take the time to learn to shoot well with irons all before your eyes go to shit and you start the optics BS all over again

Then you do silly stuff like pass up a upper that can shoot sub moa groups for 500$http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-available-500-each?highlight=Rock+River+Arms

Last edited:
I built mine because I don't want to spend $700-1000+ for one all at once. Plus it's more fun to put it together, and assemble it how you want. My AR's did not even come close to 1K after they were all set up the way I wanted them. Then again, I'm not tactical operator status, and don't need a $500 red dot.

but if you buy a rifle first you get that parts box full of parts.... and that parts box will call to you and eventually you will build a beater AR because hey almost "free" second rifle [wink]

but if you buy a rifle first you get that parts box full of parts.... and that parts box will call to you and eventually you will build a beater AR because hey almost "free" second rifle [wink]

I have had a stock and LPK sitting in my office next to my computer for a while... I'm getting really close to buying everything else and building the rifle because I'm tired of the parts box. :) I bought it because I was going to build my first AR when I was part of the, now famous, Winter ARES 80% group buy. Now, if I buy an AR, I've still got those parts laying around, if I don't buy a stripped lower, what am I going to do sell them? Who will buy an LPK and A2 stock?

Ha.

I'll add my last point. Your first AR should be a simple, inexpensive, qualty gun that will allow you to learn to use the gun and also learn what you like and don't like.

Nothing fulfils this role better than the M&P 15 Sport. It shoots better than guns costing $500 more and with the addition of a $75 RRA match trigger is as accurate as anyone who is not shooting off of bags or a bipod could ever ask for.

Plus, it comes with S&W's no hassle service policy. They even pay return shipping.

For the best price to go slickguns.com and search on M&P 15 Sport. It was down as low as $499 with free shipping in the beginning of December. That is $45 less than my wholesale cost.

Don

A note on prices..... I went to 2 local shops yesterday and prices where insane on parts.
Cheapest LPK was a cmmg 99$ A2 stock kit 90$ cheapest rail was a,polymer 110$
Stripped lowers 99$ was the lowest ?
Yeah there are deals but you must look or you will over pay.

Back
Top Bottom