• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why YOU should build your own AR15 ?

Wait, Isn't selling all that stuff his business?
It's the same story wirth Harleys. You spend a couple grand making it yours. You end up with a box of crap in the corner of the garage you paid to much for to just toss.

I don't know where this guy is getting his prices but they are whacked.

$200 on iron sights? Magpul sights can be had for $100 (for both) if you look. Even if you add the gas block, you are still not close to $200.
$250 for a rail? Um even the popular Samson rails don't come close to that. ($200 for extended rifle, carbine and mid-length are even cheaper)
MOE stock is like $40, sometimes cheaper.
Spikes NB BCG: $180
$60 charging handle? I got my BCM for $30-40...
Some how he might have gotten the trigger price right.

Hell even the price of the AR is high nowadays.

Lol, he's not too far off..hahaha. I bought a cheap AR a few years ago to see if I might want to get into "black rifles." I ripped it down just like he says, my bad! Bought a Centurian drop in quad rail..300 bucks, Troy fold down buis, changed the gas block to low profile, man it goes on and on. I got me the worlds most expensive BUDGET rifle ever. I'll shoot the piss out of it until my last day on earth cause I'll never get back even close to what I put into it. I've since put together a couple on my own I enjoy even more. Ah well, live and learn, right?

Damn prices sneak up on you... like an inordinately large man in a red suit creeping down ur chimney. Prices all seem spot on to me (yes u can go cheaper). Once u go down the premium rabbit hole, the bottom just keeps getting farther and farther away. I obviously need the best of the best for all my warfighting and door kicking.
Merry xmas all

It looks like he is doing the video in a shop, so the prices are going to be full service retail, not mail order.

I'm supposed to listen to a guy who writes "muzzle break" instead of muzzle brake?

No thanks [wink]
If you weren't suppose to listen to people who can't spell you might as well sign off from NES for good. There's some horrible spellers here, myself included. Just saying is all. [laugh]

If you weren't suppose to listen to people who can't spell you might as well sign off from NES for good. There's some horrible spellers here, myself included. Just saying is all. [laugh]

More specifically, there are some horrible spellers who have a lot of knowledge to give.

But with that said, I've found that I will only build ARs for myself for the last several years. Mainly because once I replace all the stuff to line up with the way I LIKE THINGS, I've practically rebuilt the rifle anyway.

My Preferences:

1) Ambi selector
2) Ambi mag release
3) Match trigger of some kind. RRA if I only want to spend $75, Geissele if the gun is expected to put out serious accuracy.
4) Threaded barrel with miculek brake or brake that will accept a can.
5) Adjustable gas block.

Generally, I try to get as much accuracy with as little weight as I possibly can. I care less about these rifle being "combat ready" than most people because I've got plenty of stock, reliable, plain jane ARs. Most of what I build are purely toys.

To that end, this obsession with backup sights is pointless in my mind. Leave them off and save $100 and a few ounces.

Don

p.s. I took a carbine class with an instructor who preferred a standard front sight with an aimpoint on his AR. He didn't run any backup rear sight. When I asked him about it he explained that even if his Aimpoint failed, he could aim effectively by just centering his front sight in his Micro T1. He demonstrated with some pretty impressive shooting while his sight was turned off. A dead Aimpoint on a rifle with a front sight effectively becomes just a large rear aperture sight.

"p.s. I took a carbine class with an instructor who preferred a standard front sight with an aimpoint on his AR. He didn't run any backup rear sight. When I asked him about it he explained that even if his Aimpoint failed, he could aim effectively by just centering his front sight in his Micro T1. He demonstrated with some pretty impressive shooting while his sight was turned off. A dead Aimpoint on a rifle with a front sight effectively becomes just a large rear aperture sight."

In that circumstance, he is right. However, if the lenses are frosted (from cold or heat) or cracked in a way that does not allow looking through them, he will wish he had a set of offset back up sights.

What happens if you dropped the rifle and the aimpoint is now broken?

In that circumstance, he is right. However, if the lenses are frosted (from cold or heat) or cracked in a way that does not allow looking through them, he will wish he had a set of offset back up sights.

Easy fix for that: You take your sidearm out, aim it straight down the middle of the aimpoint, front to back, like wiping, you don't wanna take out your front sight. Fire one, maybe two rounds. You blow the guts out of the middle of the aimpoint, you're left with the outer ring of the aimpoint and a clear view of your front sight, then continue to operate. :):):)

And warwickben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy fix for that: You take your sidearm out, aim it straight down the middle of the aimpoint, front to back, like wiping, you don't wanna take out your front sight. Fire one, maybe two rounds. You blow the guts out of the middle of the aimpoint, you're left with the outer ring of the aimpoint and a clear view of your front sight, then continue to operate. :):):)

The operators operating operationally award goes to Josh today

It's like everything else. Twenty years ago everybody was building their own 1911's. The last two wars in the Middle East have brought the AR platform into its own plus Colt which was the only civilian AR game in town for a long time got joined by a bunch of competitors.

There was a time in the not too distant past when the AR platform was not so favorably looked upon and a lot of Nam era vets didn't have such a high regard for the M16 either. Ruger sold a whole bunch of Mini 14's back in the 70's and 80's and many of the gun pundits of the era declared it the superior rifle with lots of custom after market accessories.

I guess what threads like these do is bring out the authoritarian tendencies in people cuz we have a bunch of black rifle do Gooders who are saying only make your own rifle. Well, not everyone has the mechanical inclination even though it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put one together. It's like any other hobby.

Aot of it has to do with what you want to do with it. Good sights are essentialist you want to kill Taliban a GI version stock will work fine. Most internet commandos who shoot two or three times a year can get by with something like an MP Sport. Have fun with your builds and when Zombie Apocalypse comes you will be well prepared. I plan to hide well and acquire some great battlefield pick ups after you've been bitten.

Last edited:

To truly operate at the operational operator level, you would need to take out the two nearest threats with the rounds you use to gut your optic.

$250 for a rail? Um even the popular Samson rails don't come close to that. ($200 for extended rifle, carbine and mid-length are even cheaper)
MOE stock is like $40, sometimes cheaper.
$60 charging handle? I got my BCM for $30-40...

Hell even the price of the AR is high nowadays.

His prices are pretty close. I spent 269 on my BCM 13" Kmr rail, 99 on my b5 enhanced sopmod and 90 on my raptor charging handle.

More specifically, there are some horrible spellers who have a lot of knowledge to give.

But with that said, I've found that I will only build ARs for myself for the last several years. Mainly because once I replace all the stuff to line up with the way I LIKE THINGS, I've practically rebuilt the rifle anyway.

My Preferences:

1) Ambi selector
2) Ambi mag release
3) Match trigger of some kind. RRA if I only want to spend $75, Geissele if the gun is expected to put out serious accuracy.
4) Threaded barrel with miculek brake or brake that will accept a can.
5) Adjustable gas block.

Generally, I try to get as much accuracy with as little weight as I possibly can. I care less about these rifle being "combat ready" than most people because I've got plenty of stock, reliable, plain jane ARs. Most of what I build are purely toys.

To that end, this obsession with backup sights is pointless in my mind. Leave them off and save $100 and a few ounces.

Don

p.s. I took a carbine class with an instructor who preferred a standard front sight with an aimpoint on his AR. He didn't run any backup rear sight. When I asked him about it he explained that even if his Aimpoint failed, he could aim effectively by just centering his front sight in his Micro T1. He demonstrated with some pretty impressive shooting while his sight was turned off. A dead Aimpoint on a rifle with a front sight effectively becomes just a large rear aperture sight.

That's actually a good point and why I never bothered buying flip up rear sights, but never mentioned it here because I figured I'd just get flamed for relying on optics exclusively. I always build with front sight tower mainly because I prefer the look and super tough nature of it, but as mentioned, I realized it worked very reliably as an emergency backup all by itself even with a dead battery in an optic. I will say that it works more effectively with a tube style optic than an Eotech as I have on one rifle. The window is too large to be a very effective aperture.

This guys background is law enforcement. He was explaining this in the context of a defensive firearm or a LE patrol rifle. Most of which lead pretty cushy lives compared to their military equivalent.

You make your choices and live with the consequences of your decisions.

Its interesting that someone mentioned a cracked Aimpoint. This class was at Academi and just before our class a bunch of Navy guys were there taking an aimpoint transition class. One of the things the instructor did was hold the firearm upside down and drop it from waist height onto the concrete, aimpoint first. Then he removed it from the firearm and threw it downrange skipping it off the concrete floor.

Then he remounted it on the rifle, and ran a drill. No failures, on cracks, no loss of zero. I guess the point here is that under LEO or HD conditions, you can bet your life that at the very least, an aimpoint's glass will remain clear.

To get back to my original point. This obsession with backup sights is almost comical. The most extreme example I can think of was on subguns.net, where one guy was arguing that a set of $300 troy BUIS were a good match for a Lage upper running on an M11/9. I don't know anyone who considers their M11 machine gun to be anything other than a pure unadulterated toy. But yet many of them have BUIS on them. Its just kindof dumb.

If I was building rifles with Aimpoints I wouldn't bother putting BUIS on them. Aimpoints are pretty indestructible. I actually have a couple lowers Im getting ready to build now this way. Light and simple.

That said on my primary rifle I'm running a Leupold on a LaRue QR mount and it has fold down BUIS because in general scopes aren't as forgiving to blatant abuse as Aimpoints are.

Back
Top Bottom