Why learn stick fighting

jmjkd

Instructor
There is always some type of stick lying around and it’s very easy to convert that stick into a sustainable weapon for self defense. There may be a time when using a firearm is not practical or even available.
If you are out numbered or maybe you are small or maybe you are a woman, using a basic stick maybe your only hope to make it. There are different types of stick’s used for different reasons. Short stick or palm stick for in close, arms length, and the long stick or staff. You should know all three and be able to utilize it in a variety of situation. Indoors or confined areas, poor terrain, slopes/mud/even water. All have very simple applications.
If your are unarmed in a survival situation grabbing a stick is the first step to your security.

MA GL 124 Sec 32(a) - No person shall, obtain, carry, hold, or otherwise handle sticks exceeding twelve inches in length. Exceptions to the above include sticks owned by Massachusetts residents prior to July 22, 1999, or sticks used for agricultural purposes, with special license from the Commonwealth. Violations are punishable by $1,000 fine and/or thirty days incarceration.

Proper stick striking technique is useful because the same forum can be applied to striking with all kinds of objects, like chairs, boards, 4-D Cell mag lights, bottles, keyboards, a Ruger GP101 (ouch!), lunch trays, etc.

Sticks are also very useful for disarming, and these types of weapons offer plenty of reach.

Just remember in regards to striking with objects:

1) Use of any object in a fight is legally use of "deadly weapon". It could be a 6' bo staff or a pencil, doesn't matter.

2) Any strikes (weapon strikes especially) above the shoulders are kill shots.

If I'm in the woods I'm grabbing a stick, MA GL 124 Sec 32 or not because I fear for my life and I saw a wild animal…8) There are also cane's, treking poles etc.

Whatluck: you my friend are right on

MA GL 124 Sec 32(a) - No person shall, obtain, carry, hold, or otherwise handle sticks exceeding twelve inches in length. Exceptions to the above include sticks owned by Massachusetts residents prior to July 22, 1999, or sticks used for agricultural purposes, with special license from the Commonwealth. Violations are punishable by $1,000 fine and/or thirty days incarceration.

:) +1 for that

Up here in the free states we have all sorts of pre and post ban sticks just lying around. I might be able to get some agricultural ones for you folks down south. Can meet in NH to transfer:)

Mass-driver...+1 for that..... are you kidding me???? now Americans can't hold a stick, thank heavens my stick is only 12 inches long.

What about stones? They can also break bones just as easily as sticks can.

Any object you can pick up can be a projectile weapon. If I am ever attacked and have no other (better) weapon on me, any object which I can pick up and throw will be utilized. Bottles, plates, toasters, books, well you get the picture.

You guys get it. For survival folks, other then fire arms you should start with stick fighting even before H2H because you always want the advantage, the upper hand. I teach MMA and I’m telling you straight up stick fighting first. Where ever you live Maine, NH, NY, VT if you want to learn let me know I will hook you up where ever you live, there are some really good instructors, but shit ones to, so check them out.
That stick can also be a stick bow, fishing rod, bow for bow drill, well you guys no.

Another good thing about stick fighting is that most of the principles carry over pretty easily to open hand and knife, as well.

One of my guys also does Iresh stick fighting and has the exact same one. The iresh fighting seems to be pretty good I picked up some techniques from my boy and it's effective. i would hate to be on the recieving end of THAT stick. The Filipino stick fighting as been stated above translates to knife fighting great, not so much empty hand. I'm not sure if the Iresh system has an edged weapon section. I'll have to check on that today.

If you guys decide to train stick fighting make sure they do sparring. A lot of schools just run through the motion but don’t really spar, like your typical Martial Art school. You want a place that will actually teach you how to fight with a stick. And make sure they do it safely, not just give you a stick and say “now fight”
here are a few names you can start with.
Sayok
Artianza
Amok
Pakita tersha

Most of these folks are know for their blade stuff but most start with the stick.
And then there are the Dog Brothers . Drop my name these guys I think can really help you. Marc is a really old training partner and friend.
Have fun.
Joe Maffei

I didn’t mention the stick fighting I am referring to are called Escrima/Kali/Arnis These are Filipino training methods and have been passed down through generations and each family had their own variations to the technique. The oldest of the three systems is Kali more of an edged weapons system stemming from India, the next is Escrima influenced when the Spanish invaded using the long sword and short dagger in combination and the last is Arnis influenced from the Japanese invasion. This system uses combined Judo and Akido throws flips and joint locks in combination with the stick. My teachings come from Dan Inosanto he is a true Master of many systems. Goggle this guy.

Back
Top Bottom