Who's the Highest Ranked NES Member?

... seems to me that we also have user nicknames containing USNA and USMA... they've got to be Academy grads and officers, too.

I attained E-6 in the USCGR. I got along well enough with just about anyone, but I challenged what I considered to be an un-equal treatment of the reserves vs the regulars. Ah well, I got myself into trouble over that and wasn't able to sit for the next exam for E-7 - something about disobeying a direct order (not ME!, I would never do that![laugh]) however the regulars did make an adjustment for the reserves on that particular point. It wasn't worth it in the long run, but.....whatever...[grin]. Did 10 years - had a great time.

member2342.png

Still a MSgt (E-7) in the MA Air Guard. I hit 20 in October, signed up for 4 more after that. I have (I think) an outside shot at E-8, probably because I only argued with officers when they were A. pilots and B. wrong. Don't argue with an electronics geek about how his shit works - they are not the happy and agreeable face of aircraft maintenance.

Having a commander who doesn't suck helps a lot - I sure hope they don't move him on me.

Still a MSgt (E-7) in the MA Air Guard. I hit 20 in October, signed up for 4 more after that. I have (I think) an outside shot at E-8, probably because I only argued with officers when they were A. pilots and B. wrong. Don't argue with an electronics geek about how his shit works - they are not the happy and agreeable face of aircraft maintenance.

Having a commander who doesn't suck helps a lot - I sure hope they don't move him on me.
How can "A" and "B" be true at the same time?

You can either be "A" or you can be "B", but I don't see how someone can be "A" and "B." I'm just not seeing that.

Last edited:
I attained E-6 in the USCGR. I got along well enough with just about anyone, but I challenged what I considered to be an un-equal treatment of the reserves vs the regulars. Ah well, I got myself into trouble over that and wasn't able to sit for the next exam for E-7 - something about disobeying a direct order (not ME!, I would never do that![laugh]) however the regulars did make an adjustment for the reserves on that particular point. It wasn't worth it in the long run, but.....whatever...[grin]. Did 10 years - had a great time.

That was my problem if they were wrong I would tell them, show them, and depending on how much of an ass they were was to whether how shall I say this how insubordinate I would get.
I always told my boss he shouldn't have left me as an E-3 in charge.[laugh]
I always owned up to what I did, left notes for him in the morning.[laugh]
Can't tell you how many times I got the you're female and don't know how to do my job.[thinking]
Ah well, it was fun.
I also weighed the consequences and would figure if it was worth it for me. Don't know where my son gets that from.[laugh]
I always said if I was going to be busted it would be something I did and I'd make damn sure it was worth me losing a stripe or two.[grin]

I made E4 (Spec 4) 18 mos after I enlisted, and E5 (Spec 5) 6 mos later, way back in '67. Rank wasn't hard in the Army then as the VietCong were opening up lots of E4-E5 slots.

I blew E-6 at 36 months (missed a promotion test by 1 point) and finished out 4 years at the aforementioned E5 rank.

I originally planned on going to OCS, but changed my mind..that's another story.

Retired First Class Boatswain's Mate. And yes, I have the callouses on my knuckles to prove it! Now, where's the coffee?

I didn't get "busted". I took an Adminstrative Reduction due to voluntary transfer. The second time it happened, the Bn Co got involved and was worried I was leaving the Bn (I'm real good at my job, for sure). He relieved the Btry Co over the whole deal. The Bn Co later became the Bde Co, and is now a BG.

Can you translate that into English for us non Army types?

Thanks! [smile]

Can you translate that into English for us non Army types?

Thanks! [smile]

I didn't get "busted". I took an Adminstrative Reduction due to voluntary transfer. The second time it happened, the Bn Co got involved and was worried I was leaving the Bn (I'm real good at my job, for sure). He relieved the Btry Co over the whole deal. The Bn Co later became the Bde Co, and is now a BG.

Translation follows. I'll keep it generic as I can, probably to the manual for Courts-martial type level/language, as it covers all branches. Commander means someone that is in command of a unit, not a rank. The navy has a grade Commander, in the Army/Marines it's called Lieutenant Colonel.

I didn't get reduced from E-7 to E-6 for misconduct, or punitive action. I took an Administrative Reduction, as I voluntarily transferred to a different unit, and we have to hold an E-7 or higher slot to retain that grade. E-6 or below, no problem. The second time it happened, the Battalion Commander (O-5, Field Grade) got involved and was worried I would transfer to a Company/Battery (O-3 level commander) outside the Battalion (I'm real good at my job, for sure). The Field Grade Commander relieved the Company Grade Commander over the whole deal. The Field Grade Commander later became the Brigade Commander (O-6 level), and eventually got promoted to O-7 (Brigader General). The O-3 eventually got to retire, as an O-3, not O-4 or above, as he thought he would.

Translation follows. I'll keep it generic as I can, probably to the manual for Courts-martial type level/language, as it covers all branches. Commander means someone that is in command of a unit, not a rank. The navy has a grade Commander, in the Army/Marines it's called Lieutenant Colonel.

I didn't get reduced from E-7 to E-6 for misconduct, or punitive action. I took an Administrative Reduction, as I voluntarily transferred to a different unit, and we have to hold an E-7 or higher slot to retain that grade. E-6 or below, no problem. The second time it happened, the Battalion Commander (O-5, Field Grade) got involved and was worried I would transfer to a Company/Battery (O-3 level commander) outside the Battalion (I'm real good at my job, for sure). The Field Grade Commander relieved the Company Grade Commander over the whole deal. The Field Grade Commander later became the Brigade Commander (O-6 level), and eventually got promoted to O-7 (Brigader General). The O-3 eventually got to retire, as an O-3, not O-4 or above, as he thought he would.
Thank you for the translation, now I know what the acronyms mean. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom