Who wants to go in on a Giraud Trimmer?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I plan on loading lots of .223 in the coming months, and although I'm very happy with the L.E. Wilson manual trimmer, the thought of trimming 1000's of cases by hand leaves me cold.

I'd like to buy a Giraud trimmer:
http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

I was thinking...

These are about $400, and I'd likely use it for only a few hours every 6 months. I figure there are lots of other local people here that could use one too, so how about a few of us go in on one?

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that trimmer. Is it more heavy duty than the Dillon? I've used the Dillon for a couple of years and it's trimmed many thousands of .223 .308 and .30/06 cases. It seems to work fine and costs alot less, about $220.00.

I'm not familiar with that trimmer. Is it more heavy duty than the Dillon? I've used the Dillon for a couple of years and it's trimmed many thousands of .223 .308 and .30/06 cases. It seems to work fine and costs alot less, about $220.00.

Yes. The Giraud is the standard by which all others are judged.

The Giraud is nice, no doubt about it, But the Dillon rapid trimmer sizes while it cuts, on less step. It also leave a smooth burr free cut so that chamfering isn't needed. Also changing out calibers is very easy.. don't know how easy the Giraud is, it may or may not be a as easy

I would consider it depending on what the final cost would end up being and depending on when each person would be using it.

After trimming a 1000 or so rounds by hand I knew there had to be a better way; my first choice was the Giraud. You guys will not be disappointed. It does everything but size and changing the cutter head is a breeze.

Should have added that you have to resize and decap before using the Giraud. The cases will not fit or get stuck in the trimmer if you don't. Not sure if that's universal but that's what I have found when trimming my brass.

Last edited:
The Giraud is nice, no doubt about it, But the Dillon rapid trimmer sizes while it cuts, on less step. It also leave a smooth burr free cut so that chamfering isn't needed. Also changing out calibers is very easy.. don't know how easy the Giraud is, it may or may not be a as easy

Does it decap at the same time?

I would have bought the Giraud over the Dillon if I'd known about it. I think chamfering after trimming is necessary for good bullet seating and the Dillon only trims. The Giraud does both at the same time which makes it about twice as fast as the Dillon. To me,that alone would make it worth the extra money. The Dillon doesn't de-cap so I have to run them through a sizing/de-capping die anyway

Last edited:
Is there any advantage to not having to hold it in your fingers? I have a Gracie and I use my Wilson. Too hard on the thumbs with the Gracie. I always thought the Dillon would be the cat's ass with a case feeder.

B

Back
Top Bottom