Who is going out Monday with a bow for deer? Tactics?

SAV

Going to Hamilton private property and they've been seeing activity expecially in the late afternoon.
Compound bow, pins and sights, full camo (cheap), treestand facing away from bedding area (18'), light rattling and doe bleats, doe pee drag around tree at 15 yards. Going in while dark, expecting a SW wind, sit until 11AM if my back can take it, break for lunch, back by 3PM. Debating bringing a book. Do books smell? [smile]

The owners hate deer eating their shrubs, and love venison; so, I will shoot anything bigger than a skipper.

Washed my clothes today, and they are falling off the clothesline in this wind. They will go into a trashbag (high tech) until I get near my destination. Shower with scent free soap, and use scent free deodorant.

What's with the clothes and shower? My memories of hunting from my Dad are a camp full of sweaty smelly guys smoking and drinking for two weeks, and they always came home with venison.

I don't have a bow, but if I did, I could sit on my back steps with the lawnmower going and just wait for them to come by around 6:30.

Best bet is not to rattle and matbe use a grunt tube judiciously in the early season. Try mock scrapes and rub some orbital gland scent on a nearby tree.

Once the rut gets going, then try any trick you have.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming...

Coyote33, I'll be on 10 acres in a treestand near residential neighborhoods, so I'll do what I can to get the few deer around not to notice me. During the gun seasons I hunt elsewhere covering lots of ground always walking into the wind, so I don't do the cleansing ritual.

The deer around here you almost need to "Shoo!" away. My neighbor is out mowing his fields all day and they just walk right up to him and he talks to them. They are like giant rodents.

I'll be hunting the south shore tomorrow morning, just went out and scouted the area I'm going to and saw some fresh tracks, should be fun.

I have to wait till next Monday. Every thing is all set, ready to go. Just need to fire up the fire pit out back, and smoke my cloths Sunday night.

Only problem is I've gone two weeks without any deer on my cameras!!! October lull? Who knows, still finding scat around.

Got two stands up, if anyones around next week let me know, got a few days off in November too.

Going out in the am tomorrow. I saw 2 deer tonight under my stand :) Im just bringing my snort wheez call but my area is primarly does til november.I just hope I can sleep. Also just got fresh doe urine bottled wedensday that I will use.

Just saw them again. Same time every night. The lawnmower draws them closer and quicker. I imagine a Newport might bring them within touching distance.

Ill be out tomorrow in hampden county. Not too early for calling and tickling the antlers but way to early for drag rags IMHO. Hunt the food and they will come is where we are at now. Not many producing oaks this year so if you can find acorns that is where you want to be.

Acorns raining around me today, shot a nice fat doe at 7:05 am. Had over a dozen deer come in this morning and a couple more this afternoon. Videos in my "opening day" thread.

As for "a month before the rut" No such animal. We are approximately a month before peak breeding, only one phase of the rut. Mid to late october as well as early Nov are prime for rattling, starting light and getting more aggressive as you get closer to the chasing phase of the rut. (approx nov 5th through the 15th this year)

To me a drag rag with non estrus scent is pretty much useless if you are in the right place and the bucks are not searching yet and you are already where the does want to be. I'll hunt the food and stay as scent free as possible.

Back
Top Bottom