• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who here collects ammo?

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've gathered up some of what I consider fairly rare ammo over the years and was wondering, how many people here collect ammo?

I have been building up quite a collection of any type of ammo I can get. It started as saving a round of each type I have fired and turned into any type I could find (usually a single round of ea). I would like to make them all into a wall hanging for my office some day.

I have bought calibers of ammo for guns I don't own (yet) and not to resell it. Does that count? [smile]

Seriously, what type of ammo are you referring to?

I noticed a lot of vendors at gun shows lately with some old and what I'd consider rare ammo. For example, at the last Marlboro show there was a vendor that had vintage WW2 era British 455 Webley ammo in small boxes. I've been kicking myself for not buying one for my collection.

I picked up an old box of Golden Tiger 5.45x39 ammo a while back that is green with a different design than what the new production stuff looks like these days. Its not even really rare but I'll never shoot it because its old packaging and eventually will be impossible to find.

I don't but have a friend that does. He had no problem paying BIG money for a nice condition box of 7.92×33mm Kurz.
At the time I thought he was nuts but at today's prices it probably was very reasonable. It was a long time ago.

I'm Collecting 54r. I got a few odd ball match grade ammos and a few types of older surplus that look different then the normal copper washed stuff. Still need to look it up.
Not sure if ill shoot some or all of it but save the brass /steel .

I also keep a round from each type of caliber I've shot.

What is the best way to sell this stuff? I have a couple of gallon bags filled with old ammo from a collection I bought. My intent was to build a cartridge board but that isnt going to happen any time soon. Looking at some of the sellers it seems like a lot of work to take a bunch of pics for a round that I am only going to get a few bucks for.

I started picking up cartridges back in the late 60s and probably have a couple thou rds, poorly organized.
It is partly collectibles, like pinfires and experimental cartridges, and partly a reference collection of foreign, domestic, and military cartridges.
I've avoided box lots and greater than .50 cal, for the most part.
I don't actively seek out additions to the collection but add them as I stumble on to them.

Some of the more unusual items are:

.297/.230 Morris Long & Short
.38 Dardick Tround
.45 Auto shotshell made for the Thompson SMG
.30 Morse Teat Fire
.276 Pedersen
10.4x38mm Swiss rimfire
52-56 Spencer
1" Gatling
.45-70 Govt. inside primed

I keep saying that I will get the stuff organized and cataloged some day, but I will probably tip over dead and my wife will send the whole lot to the dump first.

Jack

I've gathered up some of what I consider fairly rare ammo over the years and was wondering, how many people here collect ammo?

I collect ammo boxes, that being said do you collect boxes or individual rounds? I have a box of 32 short colt in a minty Remington box, I could spare a few rounds for your collection if you don't have it,I could consider some kind of swap for the whole box...... Not trying to make any $$$$ just trying to help a fellow shootet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some 44 Magnum yesterday and don't even own one, I am using it as a reminder and something to bug the crap out of me until I get one, it's winter and there is little to do but think of stuff to have for the range this summer, man I am loving this new Hobby [thumbsup]

Update 2/10/2014 ~ I have that 44 to shoot now

Tim [grin]

Last edited:
I've started reloading and I always check the head stamps. Once in awhile I'll see some cool stamps. I have a few match brass from 61'-63' and one 45ACP from 42'. I end up reloading those and keeping those.

I was thinking about collecting brass. I've been sorting a lot of brass lately and finding lots of unusual stamps. I've set aside all of the NATO stamped 9mm I found. Most of it is WCC but there are some others. Lots of different dates. Out of several thousand I've looked at there are some that I only found one or a handful of so I'm keeping them. I can't imagine they will ever be worth anything but will make a cool conversation set.

Back
Top Bottom