Who "finalizes" an LTC? State or PD?

I am just curious since I was unable to find this question asked before, who does the "last stage" of the LTC?? What I mean I guess is what and who does the final phase of the LTC-A? Is it once the State FRB prints it and sends to the PD? is that the "end" of the process then?[thinking] and all that's left is for PD to contact you to pick up your LTC? is that correct?

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. All the info, finger prints, etc. are rounded up and then your local chief gets to put the stamp of approval on it. He could throw darts at a target with all his choices of restriction if he wants to and give you what is his pleasure or whatever the dart board says to give you.

I understand that, but when the Chief has done that, then the STate prints your LTC correct? I wasn't referencing restrictions just "who sees the actual license last" , in a sense once all the background checks are done, the MHD check is done, MIRCS check is done and the info is sent to the FRB for printing, then you are done and you are just waiting for the physical license to get to you.... is THAT right? or are you saying that the PD does a SECOND background, MHD, MIRCS check on you????

I understand that, but when the Chief has done that, then the State prints your LTC correct? I wasn't referencing restrictions just "who sees the actual license last" , in a sense once all the background checks are done, the MHD check is done, MIRCS check is done and the info is sent to the FRB for printing, then you are done and you are just waiting for the physical license to get to you.... is THAT right? or are you saying that the PD does a SECOND background, MHD, MIRCS check on you????

No, once all the background work is completed and approved, CJIS/FRB prints out the LTC and mails it to the PD. The PD still has to do one last step to activate it with FRB/CJIS before it is usable in the system. If you dig back in the archives here you will find people going to a dealer only to find out that their new LTC hadn't been activated in the system and they had to return to their PD to have that done.

No, once all the background work is completed and approved, CJIS/FRB prints out the LTC and mails it to the PD. The PD still has to do one last step to activate it with FRB/CJIS before it is usable in the system. If you dig back in the archives here you will find people going to a dealer only to find out that their new LTC hadn't been activated in the system and they had to return to their PD to have that done.

Thank you Len! so essentially it is actually a "done deal" once FRB/CJIS sends it to the PD, so it isn't generally taking much time once it is back to the PD. I am assuming that it is a matter of entering some "codes" etc. into the computer for the PD. Thanks again Len!

Thank you Len! so essentially it is actually a "done deal" once FRB/CJIS sends it to the PD, so it isn't generally taking much time once it is back to the PD. I am assuming that it is a matter of entering some "codes" etc. into the computer for the PD. Thanks again Len!

You're welcome.

I suspect that the "activation" step is just in case it gets lost in the USMail and found by unscrupulous people who try to use them, that they are useless until the PD gets them in-hand.

Any restrictions are entered when they type your application in MIRCS from what I can glean of the system.

So those being told that their LTC is "in-house" but waiting on the chief to "sign it" is most likely blowing smoke. [The chief's signature is "electronically signed" and printed on the card. Only the LTC-holder gets to actually sign the card once he/she receives it.]

almost sounds like the same as when a credit card is sent to someone, you have to call the credit card company to activate it! I think my little brain has finally gotten the concept here! :)

Back
Top Bottom