who among us shoots trap?

Ive been shooting trap since I got my 20gauge shotgun for my 10th birthday. I still perfer to shoot 20 gauge for trap. My best run was 3 straight. (75) which was purely luck. I have only shot about 4 days in the past year, due to both my schedule and the high cost of shells.

75 thats cool - maybe someday i'll get that good [grin]

Trap Shooting is not a sport, it's an endless journey to ever higher levels of achievement and perfection. Kind of like Zen meditation, but 1 1/8 ounce of shot at a time.
The thing to remember is that there is not 25 birds, or 50 or whatever.
There is one bird. Think about your running total, or the last one, or the one that the shooter before you on the line got, and you've left the True Path.

Ah, but can you snatch the pebble from my hand Grasshopper?

If you've never tried it, Southborough Rod & Gun Club has Trap Thursday nights ( through September) and Sundays, year-round. Visitors always welcome, and equipment and instruction is available for potential Trap Addicts...errr.....Shooters, that is!

Good club. I'm not a member, but go on the odd Thursday night to shoot skeet. Trap is not really my thing, but I have shot it a few times. Highest score of 24. On a beginners basis, trap is the easier game to learn and develope shooting skills at. Skeet is tougher to learn due to the greater variations in shooting positions, angles and leads, plus the singles and doubles aspect. However, on a competitive level, trap is the harder game to acheive top scores in. This is due to the unknown factor of the trap machines movements. You never really know what angle the bird will come out at. In skeet, the birds always travel the same path on every pull. You can win a trap tournament with a score of 197, but in skeet you need 199 or 200.

I see that you're "the new guy" here and you didn't waste any time going "green". Welcome the forum.

I use to shoot a lot of trap, great fun. Always good guys to shoot with at Hanson R&G. Now I spend more times shooting sporting clays

I am actually going to get into trap shooting once my LTC arrives (ANY DAY NOW!!!!). I inherited my grandfathers Winchester 1500 XTR 12 gauge when he passed away. It came with a modified choke and I was wondering if that is good for trap or should I go with an IC for a wider pattern. I have read much on trap on the internet and it seems most people go with M or IC for the choke. Almost everything I have read on ammo says 1 1/8 ounce shot size 8 is good for sporting clays. What are some of your opinions on what I have read?

Trap is my main shooting sport and my average is 24. I broke my first 25 with an 870 and now i shoot and older Citori O/U. My best run was 124 straight and had intentions to keep going but i dropped the last bird on the fifth round.

The choke makes all the difference especially when your starting out. Shoot a full choke till you get comfortable and then open it up to a modified, i shoot a Improved modified in my lower barrel and a full in my upper and i never change my chokes.

Let me start by saying I had never shoot Trap before, I joined Southborough Rod & Gun club because it's close and a friend was a member. After shooting at the outside range a few times and donating a few pints of blood by the fish pond, I drove up the hill to see what this "Trap" was all about. I found the Trap Committee Chairmen Mike behind the desk. I was greeted with a smile and a hand shake...That's where it started!! I shot my first round with Mikes Winchester in the pouring rain and got 19 of 25! After convincing them that I had truthfully never shot Trap before I found myself entered into the NRA Trap Qualification program and went home that day a Pro-Marksman. From that day forward I was like a junkie looking for his next fix, picked up a used field gun with 26 inch barrels and never looked back. I've ran the table and am still looking for the 50 straight! Waking up on Sunday and Thursday in a cold sweat waiting to head to the club and shoot those beautiful orange bastards right out of the sky!! I currently need two more rounds of 22 or better to finish a Distinguished Expert in the eyes of the NRA but more importantly have started shooting at my new ATA Handicap of 20 yards and shot a 22 of 25 last Thursday!!

I love to shoot handguns, rifles, and slugs from the shotgun but for my money when the birds fly at 40+ mile per hour out of that house, rain or shine I'm in heaven!!

There is only one bird!!

Member:

Southborough Rod & Gun Club
NRA
GOAL
ATA

Last edited:
25th_pull,
First, welcome to the forum.

I never knew the NRA did such a thing. I'm going to start working on my Distinguished Expert right away.

Thank you!!

Our club does the program but it's the only club I've shot at so far, I'm sure there are others but Thursday night at 6 pm and Sunday at 1 pm all are welcome at Southborough Rod & Gun.

www.srgclub.com

I caught the bug actually from 25th_pull.. I learned some very important lessons in my first few times out. Like don't use the 12g high velocity rounds your boyfriend hands you to shoot a round of trap... your shoulder will look like raw meat for weeks! But moving on from that I am also a member at Southborough Rod & Gun and try to get to the club every Thursday and some Sundays to shoot trap. I now use an older Remington 16g to shoot and have been having a blast. I am also in the NRA program but am not as good at 25th_pull.. My highest score I believe at this point is a 13... But I am working on it and it has just been a lot of fun and definitely something that I will keep doing.

I would recommend SRG to come and learn because the people that run trap are very helpful and willing to help you figure everything out!

FWIW, for those of you in N. Central MA, my club in Princeton hosts public trap and skeet on Thursday nights from 6-9, under the lights. Deer flies and skeeters are fierce right now, but they're nothing a good dousing of DEET won't clear up.

$3/round
No ammo provided by the club.

We have a good mix of Fudds and younger folks - some families with younger kids, a few in the 25-40 age group, and some very wise elders who are quick to dispense advice and good-natured ribbing. The facilities are excellent. It's low key. Nobody takes it too seriously, but paste a clean round and you'll be the toast of the club!

If you're interested send me a PM. I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I want and could use an excuse to get out some Thursday night. My trap guns are nothing special - an old Browning BT-99 and a Rem 870 - but you're welcome to use my kit (prohibited persons need not apply) if you want to give trap a try!

NRA qualification program

Info on the Shotgun Qualification Program is here:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf#page=24

You don't need to be a member of a club (or even NRA for that matter, but if you shoot, you should be!) to do the program - you can track your own progress.

If you're local to Southboro, you don't have to be a member of the Club to get in the Shotgun qualification program - we'll let guests join.

If you have time on Sunday, before the Pig Roast SRGC will be having a few fun shoots - Flying Pigs, Adiios, and Backup. Prizes will be awarded (Including $ and apple sauce - see below)[smile]

Then, after working up an appetite, it's All you can eat - NOT all you can eat comfortably!

More info from me, or www.srgclub.com

I am actually going to get into trap shooting once my LTC arrives (ANY DAY NOW!!!!). I inherited my grandfathers Winchester 1500 XTR 12 gauge when he passed away. It came with a modified choke and I was wondering if that is good for trap or should I go with an IC for a wider pattern. I have read much on trap on the internet and it seems most people go with M or IC for the choke. Almost everything I have read on ammo says 1 1/8 ounce shot size 8 is good for sporting clays. What are some of your opinions on what I have read?

I use a modified choke 1 1/8 and size 7 1/2 for trap. not sure if thats what is used for sporting.

Trap is my main shooting sport and my average is 24. I broke my first 25 with an 870 and now i shoot and older Citori O/U. My best run was 124 straight and had intentions to keep going but i dropped the last bird on the fifth round.

The choke makes all the difference especially when your starting out. Shoot a full choke till you get comfortable and then open it up to a modified, i shoot a Improved modified in my lower barrel and a full in my upper and i never change my chokes.

124, NICE!!

Let me start by saying I had never shoot Trap before, I joined Southborough Rod & Gun club because it's close and a friend was a member. After shooting at the outside range a few times and donating a few pints of blood by the fish pond, I drove up the hill to see what this "Trap" was all about. I found the Trap Committee Chairmen Mike behind the desk. I was greeted with a smile and a hand shake...That's where it started!! I shot my first round with Mikes Winchester in the pouring rain and got 19 of 25! After convincing them that I had truthfully never shot Trap before I found myself entered into the NRA Trap Qualification program and went home that day a Pro-Marksman. From that day forward I was like a junkie looking for his next fix, picked up a used field gun with 26 inch barrels and never looked back. I've ran the table and am still looking for the 50 straight! Waking up on Sunday and Thursday in a cold sweat waiting to head to the club and shoot those beautiful orange bastards right out of the sky!! I currently need two more rounds of 22 or better to finish a Distinguished Expert in the eyes of the NRA but more importantly have started shooting at my new ATA Handicap of 20 yards and shot a 22 of 25 last Thursday!!

I love to shoot handguns, rifles, and slugs from the shotgun but for my money when the birds fly at 40+ mile per hour out of that house, rain or shine I'm in heaven!!

There is only one bird!!

Member:

Southborough Rod & Gun Club
NRA
GOAL
ATA

first of all welcome and nice shooting!! i'll have to look into the NRA Trap Qualification program when i feel i have gotten a little better, sounds interesting.

I caught the bug actually from 25th_pull.. I learned some very important lessons in my first few times out. Like don't use the 12g high velocity rounds your boyfriend hands you to shoot a round of trap... your shoulder will look like raw meat for weeks! But moving on from that I am also a member at Southborough Rod & Gun and try to get to the club every Thursday and some Sundays to shoot trap. I now use an older Remington 16g to shoot and have been having a blast. I am also in the NRA program but am not as good at 25th_pull.. My highest score I believe at this point is a 13... But I am working on it and it has just been a lot of fun and definitely something that I will keep doing.

I would recommend SRG to come and learn because the people that run trap are very helpful and willing to help you figure everything out!

keep at it! the week before i shot the 25/25 my first 2 rounds were both 10's!! then i realized i was aiming wrong. i was aiming at the clay. once i corrected this and started aiming a tad ahead of the clay i improved my scores by at least 5 a round.

FWIW, for those of you in N. Central MA, my club in Princeton hosts public trap and skeet on Thursday nights from 6-9, under the lights. Deer flies and skeeters are fierce right now, but they're nothing a good dousing of DEET won't clear up.

$3/round
No ammo provided by the club.

We have a good mix of Fudds and younger folks - some families with younger kids, a few in the 25-40 age group, and some very wise elders who are quick to dispense advice and good-natured ribbing. The facilities are excellent. It's low key. Nobody takes it too seriously, but paste a clean round and you'll be the toast of the club!

If you're interested send me a PM. I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I want and could use an excuse to get out some Thursday night. My trap guns are nothing special - an old Browning BT-99 and a Rem 870 - but you're welcome to use my kit (prohibited persons need not apply) if you want to give trap a try!

trout, as i stated in one of my other posts, my gun is nothing special either. its a cheapo $25 gun and i did a 25. so anyone reading this who is thinking about trying it, don't let the price of the gun stop you, you don't need a top of the line gun to go out and have some fun. you will enjoy it i promise!

Info on the Shotgun Qualification Program is here:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf#page=24

You don't need to be a member of a club (or even NRA for that matter, but if you shoot, you should be!) to do the program - you can track your own progress.

If you're local to Southboro, you don't have to be a member of the Club to get in the Shotgun qualification program - we'll let guests join.

If you have time on Sunday, before the Pig Roast SRGC will be having a few fun shoots - Flying Pigs, Adiios, and Backup. Prizes will be awarded (Including $ and apple sauce - see below)[smile]

Then, after working up an appetite, it's All you can eat - NOT all you can eat comfortably!

More info from me, or www.srgclub.com

thanks for the link! i'll get it out when i get done reading the board tonight.

Most shotguns I have fooled with seem to pattern correctly with an Improved Modified for Trap, that said, there are others that will need to move up or down one restriction to get the proper pattern.

When I start a new shooter, I usually go with a Modified choke which will "break" the birds. Once they are consistently hitting, I move up to an Improved Modified (tighter) which will "crush" the birds.

1-1/8 oz. number 8 shot is a good Trap load, try to find a velocity around 1145 fps. , I often shoot 1 oz. loads and really don't see any difference in my scores. On windy day's 7-1/2 shot can give you a slight advantage.

Equally important to having the correct choke and the proper target load is to hit the birds at the proper distance, 12 - 15 yds. out of the house. If you let the birds get out too far, your aim could be perfect but your pattern may not have enough density to break them.

Most shotguns I have fooled with seem to pattern correctly with an Improved Modified for Trap, that said, there are others that will need to move up or down one restriction to get the proper pattern.

When I start a new shooter, I usually go with a Modified choke which will "break" the birds. Once they are consistently hitting, I move up to an Improved Modified (tighter) which will "crush" the birds.

1-1/8 oz. number 8 shot is a good Trap load, try to find a velocity around 1145 fps. , I often shoot 1 oz. loads and really don't see any difference in my scores. On windy day's 7-1/2 shot can give you a slight advantage.

Equally important to having the correct choke and the proper target load is to hit the birds at the proper distance, 12 - 15 yds. out of the house. If you let the birds get out too far, your aim could be perfect but your pattern may not have enough density to break them.

thanks for the great info!!

Back
Top Bottom