White Oak. Good multi use tree.

jmjkd

Instructor
White Oak….many uses.
Medicine: for stomach ailments, skin irritations, diarrhea, sun stroke and helps stop bleeding, Used in tinctures, infusion, concoctions, de- concoctions, and in a poultice..
It's also great for:
Food source
Fire
Shelter material
Tools
Camo
Soaps
Signaling
Weapons.
Easy to identify from yards away even in snow. and there are more uses!!!
And it grows everywhere in my area.

A very good multi use plant that takes care of a lot of issues.

The deer love their sweet acorn as well.

Sent from my mobile device, please excuse typos and brevity.

All the oaks have these same qualities, the reason why the white is good is because you can eat the meat right away without having to leach the tannins out, like the black and reds. With the others just double boil and your ok. And yup the acorns attract all kinds of furry things and if your lucky enough to take a deer, well now you just acquired all kinds of resource and now the tannic acid will come in handy.

I worked in a lumberyard every summer in Everett back in the 70's, ( not the one I work for now ) we used to get a bunch of old time boatwrights coming in to pick through our 8/4 & 12/4 Log Run White Oak. There were other yards that had White Oak but it was kiln dried. The stock we had was green, we ( usually me ) would stick it and air dry it. We sold most of it for truck & trailer decks. White Oak has a closed cell structure making it almost waterproof. When you dry it in a kiln, it dries too fast, causing the cell to burst. It doesn't effect the appearance or soundness of the board but the waterproof property is gone. I'm sure there a many applications besides boat work where naturally waterproof wood would be useful.

I didn't know that, thanks man, that's good general knowledge to know. My use for white oak is in it's natural state, so that's better for me that it isn't kiln dried. Water proofing is a good thing...;-)
This is a good tree for both city folk and country folk because anyone can ID it and it has so many uses.

I got an email from a person and mentioned there were no wild plants in the city where they live, now he is looking into white oak, many city parks and city gardens have oak trees..
Here is a starting point for research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_alba

Thanks for posting, start a project with white oak and let us know what/how it's going.

Back
Top Bottom