Which South Coast V.F.W.?

inerlogic

NES Member
i've been putting off joining the V.F.W. for years (who wants to hang out with a bunch of old guys at a bar? i don't even drink....)
but... i have been kicking the idea around a lot more lately, SO....

is anyone on here a member of one of the south eastern MA V.F.W. posts?

i know the Poirier post is very visible, facebook page and everything... you hear about them a lot...
i know 9059 has a lot of activities it seems, they're always having dinners and whatnot....

a friend of mine is in the ladies' auxiliary in the fairhaven post 2892.... 'course they got busted a few years back for the treasurer or someone screwing with the money....

anyone a member of any of these posts with some insights?

thanks...

Sorry I can't help you with the VFW posts you mention. It is apparent, though, that from the disdain that Vietnam Veterans received from the "greatest generation" that most VFW posts are anxious for new membership since most WW2 guys have passed on. Perhaps the post-Vietnam veterans will be better received and can fill the rolls once again. It would be a good thing to again have strong veterans groups represented in our country since the Congress is pretty much void of veterans (and it shows)!

I sent home a Montagnard Crossbow from Vietnam.....when I came home I asked my Dad where it was.

He told me he gave it to the VFW.

Went to the same VFW the next day to join up.....and they told me I didn't qualify for membership.

They told me I wasn't in a "real war."

I told them I wanted my Crossbow back, (the one in they so proudly displayed in the front lobby.)

The told me it was donated.....I got pissed and they asked me to leave.

Funny thing..... somebody broke in there the next morning, and stole the Crossbow.

Whoever it was also tried to burn the club down. But was too drunk to do a good job of it![rofl][rofl][rofl]

I asked a few characters at the Hyannis VFW 20+ years back about joining. They pretty much told me that Vietnam wasn't a war and that this was a "Veterans of Foreign Wars" club. I wished them good luck and apparently my thinking at the time was correct since their membership dropped dangerously low in years to come. Haven't set foot in the place since.

one thing i've noticed is a lot of the V.F.W. posts are populated by Viet-Vets... those crusty WWII and Korea guys who "welcomed" you Vietnam guys home are fewer and further between.....

i did pop into one and asked how to go about becoming a member... "well first, you have to be a veteran of a foreign war"

not wanting to be my normal a****** self (first impressions and all) i fought the urge to say "No S*** Sherlock... where's the G-D form and who do i write the check out to..."

instead i managed "ok, CHECK.... can i have the paperwork?"

never did go back though.....

Back
Top Bottom