Which is the Mosin-Nagant M44 serial number?

Prepper

NES Member
I need to enter this rifle into my C&R book, as well as fill out the FA-10. I'm a bit puzzled as to which number counts as the serial number. Here's what I see...

The same 4-digit number is stamped on the buttplate, floorplate and bolt. I also see that same number stamped onto the top of the receiver (just behind the rear sight) but preceded with a "10X" whatever that means.

Meanwhile, on the left side of the receiver just in front of the bolt is a bunch of stuff that was electrostenciled in by the same person: a different 5-digit number, the make/model/caliber, "R Guns" (some company?) and "Carpentersville, IL".

I won't even mention the faded random characters scattered about.

So, which do I put down on the forms?

I'll probably have similar 91/30 questions too but I'm not there yet.

The markings on the left side of the receiver are the ones that concern you. That five digit number represents the importer's new serial number for the firearm. This is done because cyrillic characters are used in many Eastern Bloc firearms and those are not valid characters for serial numbers in the US.

Use the five digit number next to R Guns.

Vellnueve is correct. Federal law requires importers to create a new serial number when the original one contains non-latin characters. R Guns is your importer, and their electrostenciled number is the serial number to use for the C&R book and the FA-10. Also include R Guns in the 'importer / manufacturer" field in the C&R book.

Back
Top Bottom