Which Bolt for Springfield 1903 Mark I

I recently bought a 1903 Mark I (high s/n) with a straight bolt. This bolt has an "S" mark on the safety lug which I believe means that it is an old bolt and single heat treated.

Some say it's fine to shoot and others do not recommend it due to the old SHT bolt.

If I buy a new bolt (double heat treated bent bolt) do you recommend I get a complete bolt assembly or would a stripped bolt be OK and just use the parts from the straight bolt? Does it matter which manufacturer the bolt is? Just looking for the best fit.

I'm assuming I'll need to have the headspace checked again with the new bolt.

Is there a preferred vendor that I should buy the part from?

Thanks for your help. This is my first Milsurp rifle.

-Steve-

If you can find a complete bolt why not. You will have some extra parts. Complete bolts are a bit harder to find from parts vendors.
I have had good luck with SS Inc.

If you can find a complete bolt why not. You will have some extra parts. Complete bolts are a bit harder to find from parts vendors.
I have had good luck with SS Inc.

Will any 1903/A1/A2/A3/A4 bolt work with my rifle (mfg in 1919)?

Checking the headspace is very important. I have a number of 1903 bolts and headspace varies _widely_ between different rifle/bolt combos.

Checking the headspace is very important. I have a number of 1903 bolts and headspace varies _widely_ between different rifle/bolt combos.

Thanks for this info. What's involved with a headspace adjustment? I don't have any gauges yet so I'll have to take it to a gunsmith. Is it a fairly minor deal (not too expensive)?

Thanks for this info. What's involved with a headspace adjustment? I don't have any gauges yet so I'll have to take it to a gunsmith. Is it a fairly minor deal (not too expensive)?

The best practice would be swapping bolt bodies until you find one that headspaces appropriately. If the headspace is too long, there is no adjustment other than finding another bolt. If the headspace is too short, you can ream the chamber. I would not suggest reaming the chamber (or having a gunsmith do it) - it's a permanent change to the chamber of your rifle.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/headspace/

Headspace gauges are "go" and "no go". A stripped bolt (this is important) should close on the go gauge and not close on the no-go gauge.

Before you go down this road, you might want to take your question around the safety of your original bolt to the CMP Forum Bolt Action Forum.

I found a post that would be the same as mine on the CMP Forum. The person has the same "S" marked safety lug as mine and a straight pre-double heat treated bolt.
Here it is:
Your straight bolt marked "S" on the safety lug is an early
casehardened bolt. Such bolts are generally
considered unsafe for shooting and are not allowed in CMP matches. Springfield
Armory and Army Ordnance, however, never withdrew straight handle bolts from service unless worn or
damaged. And that's documented and proven!

Those are the facts. Choose as
you may.

Happy Holiday!

J.B.

You can buy or rent a HS gauge set...this is where I would start.
Finding a place where you can walk in and check bolts would be ideal. Although I don't know anywhere that would do that.
A call to Springfield sporters may help with bolt ID and a new bolt.
It might be wise to HS the rifle in its current state.
No need investing money in a bolt if the chamber is already past a field gauge.
As for fixing HS you have options but all will cost additional money.
If a replacement bolt does not pass the GO gauge you need to have chamber reamed. Not hard and not very expensive.
If it comes up to fail a FIELD gauge. Then your only choice is a new barrel or have the old barrels should cut back a bit. This takes removal of the barrel and a good machinist/gun Smith to take off the appropriate amount of metal in the correct places so the barrel tightens back up in the correct location...

Thanks mac,

"No need investing money in a bolt if the chamber is already past a field gauge."

I did take the rifle to a gunsmith a couple weeks ago and it checked out fine. He shot it a couple times and said it shot really well.

It's just the non-double heat treatment of the bolt that is the sticking point and weather or not there is any risk with that. I'm fine with shooting it the way it is but I don't want anyone else getting hurt around me if something goes wrong.

Thanks mac,

"No need investing money in a bolt if the chamber is already past a field gauge."

I did take the rifle to a gunsmith a couple weeks ago and it checked out fine. He shot it a couple times and said it shot really well.

It's just the non-double heat treatment of the bolt that is the sticking point and weather or not there is any risk with that. I'm fine with shooting it the way it is but I don't want anyone else getting hurt around me if something goes wrong.

if the headspace checks out call Springfield sporters and get a bolt with a good safe bent handle bolt. It will look much better and you can shoot with more confidence. You could also load some nice low power cast loads.
Have your smith recheck the HS

if the headspace checks out call Springfield sporters and get a bolt with a good safe bent handle bolt. It will look much better and you can shoot with more confidence. You could also load some nice low power cast loads.
Have your smith recheck the HS

Thanks once again for the advice mac. I'll call them tomorrow.

I called Springfield Sporters and he said I should stick with a Springfield DHT bolt for the best fit. He doesn't have any available right now but probably will in a few months. I'll keep an eye out for a Springfield DHT in the mean time.

I called Springfield Sporters and he said I should stick with a Springfield DHT bolt for the best fit. He doesn't have any available right now but probably will in a few months. I'll keep an eye out for a Springfield DHT in the mean time.

I'm not to up on my correct bolt codes ....I just think a J5 with the swept bolt handle looks much nicer on 1903s than the straight...being left hand shooter I would go with the straight bolt for shooting though.
Good luck and it's time for some pictures.

Yup, I'll look for the J5 swept bolt. I'll find one somewhere.

Is there a way to post pictures directly from your PC or do we need to post from an external URL?

Back
Top Bottom