Where's the CDP gone?! IDPA talk..

I hope this helps..I don't think i forgot anything..

Stock Service Pistol (SSP)double action or 'Safe Action' such as Glock or SIG

Custom Defensive Pistol(CDP)such as 1911.
Must be .45 ACP with maximum magazine load of 8 rounds

Enhanced Service Pistol(ESP)single action or SA/DA such as H&K P7 or CZ-75

Enhanced Service Revolver(ESR)rimmed or rimless ammo, full moon clip, power factor of 165,000

Stock Service Revolver(SSR)
rimmed case ammo, no full moon clips

Quite a few SSP's, can also be shot in ESP.. I think the decline in CDP has a lot to do with the ptice of ammo right now..

I thought SA/DA pistols fell into SSP? I could be wrong. I've never actually been in a match, just took the GOAL intro course.

Correct. Some people call DA/SA double action, and call those pistols where all trigger pulls are the same "double action only" or DAO.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I checked the rule book and it mentions "double action" and "DAO". I figured double action=DA/SA in that context, but I wasn't entirely sure.

I've got a CZ 75B. The trigger isn't as good as a 1911 trigger -- longer first stage, more overtravel and the break isn't as crisp. In addition, the CZ sights just aren't very good. There are many, many options for 1911 sights, but not as many options for the CZ75.

The CZ 75 is certainly a good gun, but for me it doesn't quite match up to a 1911. YMMV.

Correct. Some people call DA/SA double action, and call those pistols where all trigger pulls are the same "double action only" or DAO.

All of which can still be used in ESP. For example I can shoot my Glock or Sig 228 in SSP and ESP.

Would there be an advantage to shooting them in ESP?

No, not unless you just like a Glock... like I do. You can make some mods to an SSP gun that would put a gun into ESP (like magwells, etc.). I like to shot my stock SSP gun in ESP just to see how I can do against the more "fancy" guns. lol.

Some DA/SA firearms can be carried hammer back, safety on. Cocked and locked, just like a 1911. When they are operated this way, they must be shot in ESP.

EDIT: For example, I think the CZ-75 manual of arms has the option to carry cocked and locked. If done so, the shooter must be in ESP.

Last edited:
Some DA/SA firearms can be carried hammer back, safety on. Cocked and locked, just like a 1911. When they are operated this way, they must be shot in ESP.

EDIT: For example, I think the CZ-75 manual of arms has the option to carry cocked and locked. If done so, the shooter must be in ESP.
Yup.

It would be interesting to know what type of guns are being used in ESP. I know myself that my new (to me) 9mm 1911. is my new choice. I also used my hi-power quite a bit in the past.

Also, I think the new rules take my S&W 945, which has been my go to gun, out of CDP.

Springfield XDM

I've got a CZ 75B. The trigger isn't as good as a 1911 trigger -- longer first stage, more overtravel and the break isn't as crisp. In addition, the CZ sights just aren't very good. There are many, many options for 1911 sights, but not as many options for the CZ75.

The CZ 75 is certainly a good gun, but for me it doesn't quite match up to a 1911. YMMV.

+1 I've got maybe 7-10k rounds through a CZ-75B, almost all 9mm.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Back
Top Bottom