Where's the CDP gone?! IDPA talk..

The good news is I was top of my division/classification at the recent Frozen Turkey match at Harvard. The bad news is, there were only 3 of us, so my bragging rights are rather limited.... In fact, there was only 3 of us in my division/class and only 5 CDP for the entire match!

SSP is always popular - and getting more so it appears - but it seems a jump in ESP and drop in CDP has taken place.

If you read the latest IDPA mag, there are some stats listed to that effects also, CDP down, with SSP, ESP, (and most surprising to me) SSR way up.

This recent match seems to reflect that. So where has the CDP gone? Who here has made that change and why? I have considered ESP (although being a 45ACP/1911 kinda guy I have nothing currently to shoot in ESP...) but enjoy CDP. Me like the big holes and 1911 platform....

Major advantage to ESP or SSP I can see would be the (potential) lower cost of the ammo...

Esplain me these changes....

I gathered as much...

I was hoping you could expand a little bit and give a non-IDPA shooter a little bit of info on the differences. [thinking]

OK, here ya go:

CDP = Custom Defensive Pistol: .45 ACP handguns only shooting big hairy manly bullets

SSP = Stock Service Pistol: Most DA/SA or DA only pistol: Glocks, Sigs,

ESP =Enhanced Service Pistol: Single action pistols in calibers other than .45 ACP., ergo Browning High Powers and 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W 1911s, etc

ESR = Enhanced Service Revolver, Revolvers that use moon clips to load I recall.

SSR =Stock Service Revolver: revolvers which load using traditional speed loaders

If I have something wrong, others can correct me. There can also be some overlap I recall where a gun may fall into several of the above, but I can't think of an example off hand.

Last edited:
What do all these abbreviations mean?

I hope this helps..I don't think i forgot anything..

Stock Service Pistol (SSP)double action or 'Safe Action' such as Glock or SIG

Custom Defensive Pistol(CDP)such as 1911.
Must be .45 ACP with maximum magazine load of 8 rounds

Enhanced Service Pistol(ESP)single action or SA/DA such as H&K P7 or CZ-75

Enhanced Service Revolver(ESR)rimmed or rimless ammo, full moon clip, power factor of 165,000

Stock Service Revolver(SSR)
rimmed case ammo, no full moon clips

Quite a few SSP's, can also be shot in ESP.. I think the decline in CDP has a lot to do with the ptice of ammo right now..

Looks like they are having some software issues. This is what has been posted so far as preliminary scoring. I have attached it as a PDF

I can't find the results...where are they posted?

Thanks to all the shooters who braved the weather to come out for our annual
Cold Turkey Match. Due to technical difficulties with the ForScore software I
was only able to list preliminary results based on the total stage time for each
shooter (I hope I did the math right!).

When the ForScore issue is resolved I'll re-post the results with the usual
indications for points down and penalties.

When I originally posted the preliminary results to our Yahoo Group I could not
access the file in the email that was generated to the group so I have attached
to this email the Excel file with the results.

Thanks again for a great season and we hope to see you all on January 23, 2010
for our next club match, the Nor'Easter...

Regards,
John

Attachments

• CTMR.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
OK, here ya go:

CDP = Custom Defensive Pistol: .45 ACP handguns only shooting big hairy manly bullets

SSP = Stock Service Pistol: Most DA/SA or DA only pistol: Glocks, Sigs,

ESP =Enhanced Service Pistol: Single action pistols in calibers other than .45 ACP., ergo Browning High Powers and 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W 1911s, etc

ESR = Enhanced Service Revolver, Revolvers that use moon clips to load I recall.

SSR =Stock Service Revolver: revolvers which load using traditional speed loaders

If I have something wrong, others can correct me. There can also be some overlap I recall where a gun may fall into several of the above, but I can't think of an example off hand.

Thank you!

I hope this helps..I don't think i forgot anything..

Stock Service Pistol (SSP)double action or 'Safe Action' such as Glock or SIG

Custom Defensive Pistol(CDP)such as 1911.
Must be .45 ACP with maximum magazine load of 8 rounds

Enhanced Service Pistol(ESP)single action or SA/DA such as H&K P7 or CZ-75

Enhanced Service Revolver(ESR)rimmed or rimless ammo, full moon clip, power factor of 165,000

Stock Service Revolver(SSR)
rimmed case ammo, no full moon clips

Quite a few SSP's, can also be shot in ESP.. I think the decline in CDP has a lot to do with the ptice of ammo right now..

And thank you!

I will be going to my first IDPA match at WPRC on Dec 12th and will be shooting CDP with either my Remsport Custom or S&W PD 1911's. Sadly, I won't be much of a competition...not yet...[wink]

It would be interesting to know what type of guns are being used in ESP. I know myself that my new (to me) 9mm 1911. is my new choice. I also used my hi-power quite a bit in the past.

Also, I think the new rules take my S&W 945, which has been my go to gun, out of CDP.

Mittenk- I'd say that some kink of 9mm 1911 variant is very popular, along with HiPowers and Glocks (with magwells, etc). Yeah Magwells aren't allowed in SSP so putting one on your Glock bumps you to ESP.

Will- I think CDP may be down because of cost. It's much, much cheaper to shoot 9mm- whether you reload or not. 9mm and 40 brass is easy to come by.. not so much in .45 for some reason. For me, I shoot CDP once in a while but prefer the 9mm for competitition.

Will- I think CDP may be down because of cost. It's much, much cheaper to shoot 9mm- whether you reload or not. 9mm and 40 brass is easy to come by.. not so much in .45 for some reason. For me, I shoot CDP once in a while but prefer the 9mm for competitition.

I like the 1911 platform, but shooting 9mm would save $$$, a 1911 shooting 9mm is a consideration for sure.

I recently picked up a SW1911 for future CDP use, but am not doing so now because of ammo cost.

If I were to get a 1911 in 9mm, would take quite a while to make up the cost of the gun in savings on ammo, but it's a thought! If I sold a .45ACP 1911, then I would be much closer to break even and or saving $$$ due to reduced cost of ammo. Choices...choices....

If I were to get a 1911 in 9mm, would take quite a while to make up the cost of the gun in savings on ammo, but it's a thought! If I sold a .45ACP 1911, then I would be much closer to break even and or saving $$$ due to reduced cost of ammo. Choices...choices....

Big holes are their own reward, however. Keeping the .45ACP 1911 gives you a whole bunch of intangibles [smile].

I shoot the Para P14 as ESP which is a hi-cap .45 acp (as you know). I also like making big holes and lots of them!

Back
Top Bottom