Where'd the ducks go?

I'm pretty new to duck hunting and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I went out this morning, and there was hardly a bird in the sky all morning. Is this more a result of it being late January or is it likely because the wind was howling at 35+mph? Thanks for the help.

when its that windy they will stay put, also this late in the season they have either migrated, are in coastal areas, or on rivers because most of the inland waterways are freezing up.

Sitting on a lifeguard tower on a pond on the Cape this past Sunday, I saw more ducks in one place than I've ever seen in my life. Used my binoculars to confirm they were mostly mallards. Sadly I could not take the time to hunt yesterday (last day) due to being so busy at work.

Sort of relieved the best game seasons are over now though. I'm still hurting from jumping a river and tweaking something in my lower back on the first day of shotgun deer. [sad2] Now I can concentrate on my project car. Hell I may even skip turkey season altogether. Elusive bastards.

I was in Plymouth, so I was legal. I was able to get out yesterday and found some in Bourne, but didn't get any shots at them. They saw me coming a mile away and cleared out for safer waters.

for future reference this time of year if its been very cold and most ponds and such are locked up a good stradgey is to find some open creeks in the woods and walk them to " jump ducks" one of my favorite hunts and i often find a lot of wood ducks that actually taste good!

Check Anaheim, California...
images

Farm up the road from me had 4-500 ducks circling the corn field right near the road. The next morning they were in there early, never seen so many together In a field.

Back
Top Bottom