Where did all the squirrels go??

My son just celebrated his 12th birthday this past Saturday and we got him a 410 single shot H&R. I took him out on Saturday afternoon in the Holrbrook/Abington area and after 2 hours did not see one squirrel the entire time. It always seemed like they were everywhere when I was growing up! Does anyone have a good spot in the greater Holbrook/Abington area where the bushytails (or rabbits) are abundant (and a legal place to hunt of course)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (by my son as well!) Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Mike

My son just celebrated his 12th birthday this past Saturday and we got him a 410 single shot H&R. I took him out on Saturday afternoon in the Holrbrook/Abington area and after 2 hours did not see one squirrel the entire time. It always seemed like they were everywhere when I was growing up! Does anyone have a good spot in the greater Holbrook/Abington area where the bushytails (or rabbits) are abundant (and a legal place to hunt of course)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (by my son as well!) Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Mike

I can't help, but 5 years ago my yard had a half dozen squirrels around most days. These days we don't have any. I wonder if it has anything to do with the giant redtail who set up shop in the neighborhood a couple of years back.

I was kinda wondering about it myself. when i moved to my house 6 years ago we had squirrels all over the place (very wooded area). you could not look out the windows and not see 2-3 squirrel at one time doing their squirrel business. past 2 years they just vanished. if i see one foraging once or twice a week i can call it a sighting. pretty strange.

we also had hoo-hoo owl that my son loved to listen as he is falling asleep. he lived in the tall pine right next to his bedroom. also gone. disappeared 2 years ago as well.

Last edited:
Plenty of squirrels in the Boston Commons and Gardens. Hell they'll sit on your lap for a piece of bread.

That's the way it is. Squirrels are only around when you cant shoot them. Don't forget English Sparrows and Starlings are open.

Can't help you either but I can say I've got half a dozen+ easy of the gray domestic at any given time. Fat & healthy too. Of coarse I have two giant oaks in my yard and this was a huge acorn year.

I let the dog out and they scatter in every direction. Half of them just go up the tree and taunt him.

I was kinda wondering about it myself. when i moved to my house 6 years ago we had squirrels all over the place (very wooded area). you could not look out the windows and not see 2-3 squirrel at one time doing their squirrel business. past 2 years they just vanished. if i see one foraging once or twice a week i can call it a sighting. pretty strange.

we also had hoo-hoo owl that my son loved to listen as he is falling asleep. he lived in the tall pine right next to his bedroom. also gone. disappeared 2 years ago as well.

aliens-history-channel-guyradio-geeks-and-beats-podcast-ddutbncu.jpg

There's a row of Pine trees next to our house we refer to as the "Squirrel Superhighway." Even with a cat and a dog they're still all over.

They ended up as Fisher poo.

fisher.jpg

And lots of hawks and owls around too. They practically climb all over me when I am in my tree stand but when I take my boys out hunting for them they are no where to be seen!
Are you sitting on one spot and giving the woods a chance to settle down?

I had nary a squirrel around my place all summer. Within a day of putting out a bird feeder this fall, I have at least half a dozen of the tree rats fighting for seed.

I had nary a squirrel around my place all summer. Within a day of putting out a bird feeder this fall, I have at least half a dozen of the tree rats fighting for seed.

I have actually been thinking of putting a bird feeder out in the woods....scatter some seed around to get their attention and hopefully the feeder (along with some occasional bird interest) will pull them in. Of course...only have until the end of this weekend before squirrel season gets put on hold for deer shotgun season.....

Unfortunately most are in neighborhoods and not in the woods. Like most animals open for hunting they have better protection and food supply in back yards, unless its your back yard and you meet the required set backs.

They are alive and well in Norwood, my backyard is full of them and the wholes they dig, I hate squirrels.

Unfortunately most are in neighborhoods and not in the woods. Like most animals open for hunting they have better protection and food supply in back yards, unless its your back yard and you meet the required set backs.

Pellet gun with a suppressor.... [smile] - assuming you're setback the necessary distance. Don;t want to make Marsha unhappy.

And lots of hawks and owls around too. They practically climb all over me when I am in my tree stand but when I take my boys out hunting for them they are no where to be seen!
Are you sitting on one spot and giving the woods a chance to settle down?

Agreed...they love me in my tree stand but disappear when I am looking for them with my son. Yes. We sat for a bit, let it get quiet before moving on. Will give it another shot on Friday.

Got to say that I haven't seen a single gray around my stand this year. I hunt in an area that would always have at least 10 or so screwing around while I was waiting for a deer to come in. Now we're screwed as I always thought the gray squirrels could be another source of food when the SHTF. Get your tinfoil hats out. The government is killing them! LOL

Got to say that I haven't seen a single gray around my stand this year. I hunt in an area that would always have at least 10 or so screwing around while I was waiting for a deer to come in. Now we're screwed as I always thought the gray squirrels could be another source of food when the SHTF. Get your tinfoil hats out. The government is killing them! LOL

[rofl] Good thing we have plenty of foil in the house......

Took my son out again today.....no grey squirrels but a red did try to sneak past.

Back
Top Bottom