Where can I get premium target .22lr ?

BMX

Recently bought a CZ 452 in .22lr and want to try the good stuff like Wolf, Eley, Hornady, etc. Anyone know where I can get premium .22lr?

Everywhere I go seems to have Federal SV/HV or similar or nothing at all. Seems that someone would have the high end ammo given the price premium it commands. Thanks!

I don't know where the good stuff is hidden.

My CZ452 will do 3/8" groups at 50 yards with the Federal Automatch in the 325 rd bulk packs.

Jack

Federal Auto Match HV is what I'm using and it does work nice, but I was interested in doing some ammo comparison testing just to see how m much better I could do as I start to reach out to 50-100 yards.

Here's the CZ 452/Leupold 2-7 at 25 yards from a front sandbag only with Federal Auto HV, forget the test shot at the bottom right.... I think that's about an inch but I don't think I could do that at a greater distance.

Last edited:
Please don't post the names of companies who may or may not ship ammo to MA.

Foster Bear in Foster RI had R50 not cheap... Bullseye in Woonsocket RI had Fiocci 320 (cheaper). If you buy a brick, $175 and $125. I got 100 R50 and it was around $42.00... Eley 10x will run about the same. You need wind flags and a good benchrest/scope/rifle to realize their potential. Subsonic is always prefered to HV. Also not all Eley is 10x. Does your scope have an AO for paralax? If not, stick with what you have. The ultimate in .22 accuracy is a fickle mistress that doesn't come cheap...[crying]
White Feather

Last edited:
You'll notice the group sizes in the tests I linked are measured to a thousandths of an inch. Until you get out to 100 yds, the difference between the top and bottom of the list is very small.

The prices of the real high end stuff compares to .556. Do you want to pay that to gain a .01" advantage? Can you shoot that good? I can't.

This is correct to a point. CCI standard velocity was good but:
0.455 Eley Match
0.939 CCI Standard
at 100 yards it is twice the size of the best. Remember that the test was done with a $4000+ dollar rifle/scope combination. Again, the problem is that given an average .22 rifle and an average .22 shooter, you will not notice the difference. The conclusion that most people will make is that the ammo is pretty much the same. It is not but you just can't get the full potential out of it. I am not being a snob about this, I do not have an Anschutz 2013 with a 36x scope. I do have some nice middle range .22s (Kimber 82g, Anschutz 64m, Remington 541s with variable scopes that max out between 24x and 32x) and getting them to shoot in an inch at 100 yards is a real challenge. They will go 1/2 inch at 50 yards but this does not translate to double the range/double the group. The problem lies in the round itself. It has a heeled bullet. Wikipedia defines: "A heeled bullet is an archaic design of bullet where the internal diameter of the barrel is the same diameter as the cartridge case, and the bullet has a step at the rear to allow it to fit inside the case." Pic:
200px-Modern_bullet_vs_heeled_bullet_diagram.png

This design (flaw) has lead to the problems we all face with .22 accuracy. The rear of the bullet does not fill the bore so it is more likely to not seal properly. That is why the .17 rimfires are (in general) more accurate. (Never mind that they are more susceptible to the wind. My HM2 will go .25 inch at 50 yards with Eley and ~1.25 at 100 yards.) --OP you should just buy the best standard velocity .22s that you can find. Standard velocity .22s are always preferred to HV as when the HV bullet slows and crosses to subsonic in flight, bad things happen and the accuracy suffers. If you get some much more expensive ones and they shrink your groups, great. If the expensive stuff doesn't seem to make a real difference, that is OK as long as you had fun trying.
White Feather
CCI Standard Velocity is rated very high in accuracy. Higher than much of the "match" ammo.

Note where CCI SV places among some of the "target" brands.

.22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test within AccurateShooter.com

Wow. Thanks for all of the responses and advice. This is more than enough for me to keep busy for a while! Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Recently bought a CZ 452 in .22lr and want to try the good stuff like Wolf, Eley, Hornady, etc. Anyone know where I can get premium .22lr?

Everywhere I go seems to have Federal SV/HV or similar or nothing at all. Seems that someone would have the high end ammo given the price premium it commands. Thanks!

Last time I was at the Gun Parlor in Worcester MA they had high end .22 I believe it was Eley. The guys at the gun parlor are excellent, tell them Ryan sent you in. They are located at 210 summer st Worcester ma

I acquired some of the golden eagle "target" ammo that cmp has. It has by far been the best overall 22 ammo I have used in all of my 22 platforms. I have a lot of fun with it @ 100 yards with my 22lr AR and my old Remington 523 t us property marked rifle. It cycles very good in all my semi autos also. I had a case of wolf match which shot really nice out of the bolt guns.

Back
Top Bottom