What's the point?

A guy I know was bragging that it only takes him 50 seconds to get his home defense weapon ready if need be. The gun is stored locked and unloaded with ammo locked in a separate location, both outside of his bedroom. Nothing like being ready.

You should just find a small boulder and give it to him next time you see him. Tell him it will be worth more as a defensive weapon than the handgun the way he has it stored now.

-Mike

yeah, IDK

my friend carrys with his gun empty. He said he wants time to think about what he's about to do. and i don't mean, he doesn't have one in the chamber. i mean his mag is in his pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 seconds? That's enough time for the bad guy to gank him and his family, make himself a sammich and eat it, take a huge dump, and watch a rerun of "married, with children".
Does he really rely on that?

A guy I know was bragging that it only takes him 50 seconds to get his home defense weapon ready if need be. The gun is stored locked and unloaded with ammo locked in a separate location, both outside of his bedroom. Nothing like being ready.

BRAGGING about 50 seconds??!? [thinking]

What is wrong with spending a couple of bucks on a handgun safe and keeping it loaded and locked next to the bed? I have a young boy and that is my only option but with two mini schnauzers in the house that bark their heads of when a squirrel farts in the back yard I feel I have plenty of time to get the safe open and get the fire arm. All the long guns and other hand guns are in the safe.......ammunition is separated out but in the same safe so if we gotta go quick its one stop shopping.

Keeping it unloaded and locked in one safe and ammo locked in another is just stupid......don't even call it a home defense fire arm at that point......stored like this you are nothing more than a FUDD

What is wrong with spending a couple of bucks on a handgun safe and keeping it loaded and locked next to the bed? I have a young boy and that is my only option but with two mini schnauzers in the house that bark their heads of when a squirrel farts in the back yard I feel I have plenty of time to get the safe open and get the fire arm. All the long guns and other hand guns are in the safe.......ammunition is separated out but in the same safe so if we gotta go quick its one stop shopping.

Keeping it unloaded and locked in one safe and ammo locked in another is just stupid......don't even call it a home defense fire arm at that point......stored like this you are nothing more than a FUDD

In the safe unloaded but next to the ammo? I don't get that at all. What are you looking to accomplish by doing that? (serious question)

ETA oh, you mean the long guns are unloaded, not your pistols. I still don't get that, I guess.

If I recall... last year there was a home invasion in Florida in a housing park where a lot of the homes in that area had similar layouts. A convicted felon checked out the homes and learned the layout of a particular home. He determined he could break in the door and access the master bedroom in less than ten seconds, which he did. The felon was armed with a handgun and caught the homeowner and his wife by surprise, and the homeowner did have a handgun but didn't get to use it. The felon then killed both of them, robbed the house, stole their vehicle, and dumped the bodies in another area. Fifty seconds would not do in this case !!

In the safe unloaded but next to the ammo? I don't get that at all. What are you looking to accomplish by doing that? (serious question)

ETA oh, you mean the long guns are unloaded, not your pistols. I still don't get that, I guess.

No my hd gun is loaded in a small safe in the bedroom. My other guns are in a large safe........along with ammo separated out so that all can be grabbed and taken to my vehicle with the family if we need to go quickly. Only one of the long guns is loaded (magazine fed).......I have a lot of guns in there and when I go to the range I just fine it easier to deal with unloaded fire arms when putting them in cases rather than have to stand there and rack ****ing slides and work ****ing levers for 30 minutes and then pick all the live rounds up off the floor in the basement. (yes I still clear everything everytime I pick them up). Personally I don't see a need to have 12 long guns loaded and ready to rock as there are only three of us in the family.....one long gun and one hand gun is enough. But......you do what you do man!

Don't know what you were getting at really.

Last edited:
yeah, IDK

my friend carrys with his gun empty. He said he wants time to think about what he's about to do. and i don't mean, he doesn't have one in the chamber. i mean his mag is in his pocket.

If he has that kind of time he doesn't need to use it.

I have a loaded firearm within arm's reach, or less than ten steps away from me at all times.

Fifty seconds is pretty good, actually. A couple hundred years ago we bragged of being "minute men." /sarc

**** that shit, I have mine ready in 1sec! my horrifyingly naked body is enough to either make you miss me from looking away or make run out of the room.

I was expecting a Hilary/Benghazi thread.
50 seconds is way too long. A stranger could feel there way through a dark house in that time

yeah, IDK

I actually talked to a guy at my local gun shop who told me the same thing! He said he carries the mag in his back pocket and was bragging about how fast he could draw the gun, slap the mag in, then fire if need be, but told me that this was a much safer way to carry. He couldn't understand how I could carry in condition 1. Until I read this post I had never heard of anyone else carrying that way.

I actually talked to a guy at my local gun shop who told me the same thing! He said he carries the mag in his back pocket and was bragging about how fast he could draw the gun, slap the mag in, then fire if need be, but told me that this was a much safer way to carry. He couldn't understand how I could carry in condition 1. Until I read this post I had never heard of anyone else carrying that way.

its gotta be the same guy.....

If the guy's bedroom is on the second floor and the guy breaking into his house is in a wheelchair he's golden. Otherwise ask him what kind of flowers he wants at his funeral.

That guy you know is an idiot.

A long long time ago a very close acquaintance of mine (partner) and I got into a car accident situation in a not-so-great neighborhood; I wasn't carrying at the moment because we were doing construction demolition.

We both knew our statuses; I was at ground level with the other two guys and my he was strategically positioned overseeing the situation.

Afterward, he let me know that with his new gun he was carrying with loaded mag, empty chamber. I was pissed and incredulous.

He used to name all of his guns women's names beginning with the letter "B". At some point I started calling that one "Barney" after Barney Fife and his shirt pocket round.

I still remind him of "Barney" once in a while and he just smiles and nods his head and we laff and laff...

Back
Top Bottom