What's the legality of selling preban magazines to you guys

Down here we don't have the rules and regulations you guys have. Any capacity mags are the norm. I recently picked up some preban Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 mags and wanted to post them on the gun forums up north. But not all states allow 30 round mags, some only 20 rounds, some 15. And what about proving it - PMI mags are definatly preban as are USA and some others since they went out of business shortly after 1994.
Factory Ruger mags run $40 and up plus shipping but who up north can buy them?

Appreciate the input guys. I got all the 30 rounders for everything I need. And sold most of my Rugers except a GB.

Last edited:
Down here we don't have the rules and regulations you guys have. Any capacity mags are the norm. I recently picked up some preban Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 mags and wanted to post them on the gun forums up north. But not all states allow 30 round mags, some only 20 rounds, some 15. And what about proving it - PMI mags are definatly preban as are USA and some others since they went out of business shortly after 1994.
Factory Ruger mags run $40 and up plus shipping but who up north can buy them?

Appreciate the input guys. I got all the 30 rounders for everything I need. And sold most of my Rugers except a GB.

There have been several out of state folks that have come across pre-ban mags and have put them aside to sell to shooters in "ban" states like MA. I can't speak for other states, but in MA pre-ban mags are perfectly legal whether they hold 20, 30, or more cartridges. It's the date of manufacture, not the capacity that is important. The whole thing is stupid, but it's what we have to deal with.

Straight answer is that any mags that would have been legal under the old federal ban are legal in MA, so all mags made on/before 9/13/1994 are legal in MA.

However, possession of a LCAFD still requires an LTC. You might want to get a copy of the buyer's license before shipping the mag.

Just cover your bases. Anyone up here seeking pre-bans should be willing to send you a copy of their LTC. I found a lot of pre-ban AR-15 mags out there (hundreds) and the sellers were all awesome. It would be helpful if you could provide buyers with rep from other sites, (AR15.com iTrader ratings, M4carbines.net, Gunbroker, etc..) In other words, some proof that you are a reliable seller...This is the internet after all. If you can scare up quantities of good pre-94 AR-15 mags for example, you would likely have a willing market. It does get over saturated, but then need arises again. I think if your Ruger pre-bans are indeed reliable and in good shape and indeed pre-ban, you'd have some willing buyers...

Back
Top Bottom