Whats the dumbest thing you ever did when you were in the service?

I'll risk it:

Mid 80's Clark AB, Philippines; in no particular order:

1) Catching the CO carrying classified (codeword classified) in an open area without a coversheet - informed the Security Office - not good for an E-2 to catch an LTC like that.
2) During a IG (Inspector General) visit - asking the Captain where his security badge was with the IG Col right next to him walking in the back of the building after passing through all the sensitive areas already. He forgot and left it in his desk after a picture they took in his office. He had me retrieve it for him, and the CO was in his office and wanted to know what I was doing there "I need to get the Captain's Badge Sir - it's in his desk." - Not long after that I was assigned crap details far more often than normal.
3) Flight Following Santa Claus and sending the report to every Asian/Pacific Station and our friends in Fort Meade (three letters). Didn't get in trouble for that - but thought for sure I was screwed. I meant to just print it as a gag - oops.

In regards to Subic - not bad but prices go up fast when the fleet is in 'twenty' becomes $20 instead of 20 Peso (20 Peso = $1)

Last edited:
I'll risk it:

Mid 80's Clark AB, Philippines; in no particular order:

1) Catching the CO carrying classified (codeword classified) in an open area without a coversheet - informed the Security Office - not good for an E-2 to catch an LTC like that.
2) During a IG (Inspector General) visit - asking the Captain where his security badge was with the IG Col right next to him walking in the back of the building after passing through all the sensitive areas already. He forgot and left it in his desk after a picture they took in his office. He had me retrieve it for him, and the CO was in his office and wanted to know what I was doing there "I need to get the Captain's Badge Sir - it's in his desk." - Not long after that I was assigned crap details far more often than normal.
3) Flight Following Santa Claus and sending the report to every Asian/Pacific Station and our friends in Fort Meade (three letters). Didn't get in trouble for that - but thought for sure I was screwed. I meant to just print it as a gag - oops.

In regards to Subic - not bad but prices go up fast when the fleet is in 'twenty' becomes $20 instead of 20 Peso (20 Peso = $1)

Well I didn't let my old SSG back into our area. The only thing that saved my ass was he was not on our list for who could go back there. He had out processed, and our list was changed and our code for the door.
He was pissed too.

I lit off an MRE bomb at the front gate while on AIT in Panama to show the Panamanian National Police how it's done. It turned out to be the loudest one I ever made. [grin]

Cost me an extra four hours of gate duty.

Funny story about one of my buddies was a huge prankster. When we were in Iraq during the early days, albeit different platoons in the summer of 2003, he drew a big bulls eye in chalk on the squad leaders Humvee door with an arrow pointing at the bullseye with the caption "THE BOSS SITS HERE."

Oh here's another one--not as good as some of the others here, but still funny: when my unit was training up for a JRTC rotation at the Londonderry AFTC, we were mandated that, because we had no food service MOS qual troops with us, we had to eat at the Cracker Barrel in Derry presumably because it was the only place that didn't serve booze.

My squad and I made sure the waitstaff knew everyday was the CO's birthday. By the third day, the waitstaff knew what we were up to, and thought it was halarious. On the 5th day the Captain finally told the company formation that the everyday of birthday cakes from an anonymous soldier needed to end.

Oh here's another one--not as good as some of the others here, but still funny.

No, that's pretty damn funny; so is the Hmmwv story. Those MRE bombs are so much fun, we used to whip them in dumpsters and one time we slid one down the vent pipe of a porta-john in Iraq... that mistake we never made again.

Oh here's another one--not as good as some of the others here, but still funny: when my unit was training up for a JRTC rotation at the Londonderry AFTC, we were mandated that, because we had no food service MOS qual troops with us, we had to eat at the Cracker Barrel in Derry presumably because it was the only place that didn't serve booze.

My squad and I made sure the waitstaff knew everyday was the CO's birthday. By the third day, the waitstaff knew what we were up to, and thought it was halarious. On the 5th day the Captain finally told the company formation that the everyday of birthday cakes from an anonymous soldier needed to end.

Kinda similar, we were leaving Indiana to go home for a week off. The entire company was running around at the airport getting drunk. The CO and about 20 of us ended up in the same place. Someone from one of the PLTs ordered a few hundred dollars worth of shots for all of us there and had it put on the CO's tab.

the CO was PISSED when he got his bill [rofl]!!!!!

I'm only half through reading this thread, but I am laughing at all the stories. I'm glad everyone else has stories about being idiots when they were young.

I was one of those lucky ones who never seemed to get caught doing my dumb stuff. To list the dumbest thing would be difficult - could be the brand on my shoulder, could be passing out against the Empire State building in the middle of the night or it could be getting married at 20 years old. (I kid - 20 years and five kids later we're still married).

During Desert Storm, flew into Wedge, Saudi Arabia to coordinate using the airport as a divert field for our aircraft carrier. Me, the helo pilot and 2 Tomcat pilots are sitting in this Sheiks huge office and we just finished our meeting with him. He got called away for a moment, leaving us alone. The 2 Tomcat guys had some Zappers (Squadron Stickers) and within seconds we had that's guys office zapped big time, front of his desk, his toilet, ceiling, everywhere. We hastily said goodbye, jumped in the helo and beat feet back to the carrier. I was scared for days that that prank would come back to haunt us and U.S./Saudi relations. :) I could just see the four of us officers standing in front of the Admiral explaining that.

I won't even go over all the dumb things I did back when I was enlisted!

Last edited:
During my tour on the border with 2/2 ACR.
I was in the troop for only 2 days when I was sent to look for.
100' of dead line.
Can of squelch oil.
Soft spots on a M113 using a ball peen hammer and chaulk.

Not standing anf yelling "at ease" when the new firstshirt came into the moterpool.
We (4 mechanics) were put into detail shoveling the street in front of the barracks at HOF. We decided to get the firstshirt back by shoveling the snow against the 8' barbed fence to form a ramp to make easier our "escape". Firstshirt didnt see it as funny and we were ordered to shovel all the snow to the other end of the street. We spent the whole day moving snow back and forth.

Got drunk and missed first formation, had to shovel the front walk in the middle of a blizzard. By the time I got to the other end of the walk there was a couple of inches on the ground and I have to re shovel, spent 6 hours doing this untill they took pity on me.

Acidently setting of a shaving can grenade in my room.

Being dared to piss out the window of the barracks and almost hitting the OOD on his rounds.

Not enough room in the forums for my stories but I am proud to say I was never busted a rank, the Cav did take care of the hard workers.

Guys, you have to admit, we all did some dumb stupid things, but we were fortunate to have leaders who also did some dumb stupid things, who recognized our potential to do great things. This is how our careers survived.

Back
Top Bottom