whats the deal with Canik

The best gun i ever bought under $500.
remember when they first hit the market? cheap! the low end one went for ~ $310. i saw 4 seasons selling on once for over 400 and i almost fell off the chair. i thought they started making them with gold embellishments.

I did not know this and I own a tp9sfx 😂

they do not accept 92 mags unless one is willing to cut a new notch for the mag catch to engage. I’m not sure why anyone would ever do this, even to have more capacity it’s still silly when considering potential reliability issues and destruction of a perfectly fine beretta mag.

Now if someone would make a plate with a good quality rear sight on it please!!! My only complaint with the tp9sfx is they put the rear sight on a plate that you remove to mount an optic is dumb. Not being able to co witness is not desirable for me. Other than that its actually allot of great gun for the $$ out of the box.

they do not accept 92 mags unless one is willing to cut a new notch for the mag catch to engage. I’m not sure why anyone would ever do this, even to have more capacity it’s still silly when considering potential reliability issues and destruction of a perfectly fine beretta mag.

The new cut does not effect the use of these mags in a 92. The cut is super easy to do with a dremel and I’ve never had a reliability issue in my Canik.

Hmmm roger that. I am not doing that and I agree 100% about reliability issues.

The new cut does not effect the use of these mags in a 92. The cut is super easy to do with a dremel and I’ve never had a reliability issue in my Canik.

then one would have to depress the mag release for the mag to avoid locking into the higher. (i.e. first) mag notch. Aside from being a PITA this can result in overinsertion and damage to ejector. Further the vertical position of a magazine is paramount to proper feeding and ejection. It may work fine but one would have to be nuts to trust such a setup for defensive use.

having lived in MA for a decade it was obvious the easiest way to get around the crap mag restrictions is just to go up in chambering to a 40 or 45 such that one isn’t really losing much WRT capacity. Hodge podging mags to accommodate 9mm was never an ok path in my world. yours may be different.

then one would have to depress the mag release for the mag to avoid locking into the higher. (i.e. first) mag notch. Aside from being a PITA this can result in overinsertion and damage to ejector. Further the vertical position of a magazine is paramount to proper feeding and ejection. It may work fine but one would have to be nuts to trust such a setup for defensive use.

having lived in MA for a decade it was obvious the easiest way to get around the crap mag restrictions is just to go up in chambering to a 40 or 45 such that one isn’t really losing much WRT capacity. Hodge podging mags to accommodate 9mm was never an ok path in my world. yours may be different.

It all comes down to what people are comfortable with. I like the high capacity when at the range and I had the mags to modify in order to do this. Plus it was simple and has been rock solid. The Canik isn’t going to be my carry gun but I would have zero mag concern if I happen to have this setup in a situation where I need it.

To each there own.

My TP9SFX is the gun I grab when I need to put a bunch of accurate rounds downrange fast. It's my go to competition gun. Best striker fire gun I've ever fired, I shoot it better than my CZ75, Tanfoglio Witness, and 1911. The thing just melts in my hand, and the excellent sights line up for me naturally as soon as I raise it to my eye. Dead nuts reliable.

I replaced the already great factory trigger with a freedomsmith flat face. I also replaced a couple of springs, bringing the trigger down to the 2.5-3# range. I'm no gunsmith, and I was able to do it all myself in about an hour. With these changes, this thing begs to be shot fast, and easily beats the factory trigger on the Glock or Sig SF competition models. Except I'm all in at $600.

20210105_092920.jpg

My TP9SFX is the gun I grab when I need to put a bunch of accurate rounds downrange fast. It's my go to competition gun. Best striker fire gun I've ever fired, I shoot it better than my CZ75, Tanfoglio Witness, and 1911. The thing just melts in my hand, and the excellent sights line up for me naturally as soon as I raise it to my eye. Dead nuts reliable.

I replaced the already great factory trigger with a freedomsmith flat face. I also replaced a couple of springs, bringing the trigger down to the 2.5-3# range. I'm no gunsmith, and I was able to do it all myself in about an hour. With these changes, this thing begs to be shot fast, and easily beats the factory trigger on the Glock or Sig SF competition models. Except I'm all in at $600.

View attachment 431667
Ditto.

Bought my Canik couple years ago. Somewhere around $250. Shoots quite nice. Very pleased with the trigger. Grips are a little coarse but can live with it.

This....best 250 I ever spent, and best production MA trigger available out of the box.

My first purchase will be the SFX when I get out of this shithole and will put a nice freedomsmith trigger in it.

I'm not going to buy it for more money with cripple mags here, I'll buy it for less with the 20 rounders in a non retard state.

Last edited:
A few years ago my son was in Utah for some Army stuff. He and a group went out to a local indoor range one night.

One of his buddies hands him a Canik and says try this. He said it was like cheating.

When he got back we bought a couple. Well built firearm for sure. And one of the best striker fired triggers I've ever used. Just a natural shooter in the hands of many.

Between us we have four or five now... and I want to get their relatively new Canik Executive.

:)

View attachment 431667
Pretty decent video explaining some of the springs. Well interesting to me because I am still learning about the tp9sfx.

View: https://youtu.be/yHBD8Dr-I7g

would be interesting to see how much sear-striker engagement surface remains...probably very little. have you tried hitting up on the grip? many of these designs with downward moving sears (PPQ clones such as Canik, VP9, etc) can drop the striker with a decent upward bump on the heal of the grip. decreasing the sear surface makes it easier to drop the striker without pulling trigger.

This is how canik C-100 performs at 50ft off hand. Enough for me to consider it highly reputable brand.

have you owned other CZ clones? they all shoot pretty well. i got out of the clone game several years ago but never had one that didn't group nicely. once u put enough rounds through them the springs all start breaking especially the TRS and trigger bar spring. if someone would start making a clone with a decocker instead of safety i might be interested again. the IWI Jericho II looks cool but no decocker option...no thanks for me.

would be interesting to see how much sear-striker engagement surface remains...probably very little. have you tried hitting up on the grip? many of these designs with downward moving sears (PPQ clones such as Canik, VP9, etc) can drop the striker with a decent upward bump on the heal of the grip. decreasing the sear surface makes it easier to drop the striker without pulling trigger.

No...but I will now! Can’t have it going off if I drop it.

There is no reason to mess with the trigger on a canik.... IMHO thats going full retard, none of those things are above like 4-5 pounds and they are almost a really short throw like a Steyr.

There is no reason to mess with the trigger on a canik.... IMHO thats going full retard, none of those things are above like 4-5 pounds and they are almost a really short throw like a Steyr.
You’re welcome to come shoot mine any time. It was a great trigger out of the box. It’s an exceptional trigger now. Just a little take up, clean, predictable break, no overtravel, short reset.

My Ruger 22/45 also had a great trigger out of the box...but the Volquartsen kit improved it in every way.

I don’t mess with the triggers on my defensive pistols, but I like the comp guns light, crisp, and predictably consistent.

the striker block will prevent discharge. it basically just creates a dead trigger.
That’s much more acceptable. It’s not a defensive pistol, so the worse that would happen is I lose the round at a steel shoot :). But I’ve slammed some mags in pretty hard during reloads and (knock wood) so far so good.

I have a 9DA. It's a good gun, and KT mech makes a decent kydex holster. Stay away from the Promag (?) aftermarket mags. Pay the higher price for the OEM ones, if you can find them.

The only real reason to mess with it is the long takeup if you don't like that. The trigger is fine as it is..... Which is not that big of a deal if you ride the wicked short reset.

I polished and then replaced a couple springs to mess with it, absolutely wasn’t for me and double taps were not happening from me intentionally. Put it back stock.

Back
Top Bottom