What's an easy one?

I've been thinking about building one, but I'm not sure what type I want to go with. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I know a few things about guns but I'm not an expert - so....any suggestions on what I could take a crack at?

Well, Lynne, that's another advantage of the C&R. With it you're a bona fide collector qualified to get your green card. Of course, there's the federal registration due to the full auto and to the fact that it's over .50 caliber.

Ken

I don't know what's legal in Mass, but I'd recommend an AR for your first build. Very few tools required, and little to no machine work. 1911A1s aren't bad either.

PDF files of the Tech Manuals for the M16A1 are coming to this site soon.

If it's legal to build an AK, they are good as well. AKFiles has a wealth of info about AK builds. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

FALs and M14s are harder to do, and require some specialized tools. Not recommended for a first build, or for a builder with low skills. Since your skills appear to be on the upper end, and if you're willing to purchase the tooling, you could do one. If you're thinking FAL, definitely visit FALFiles and research what NOT to buy for a receiver. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12

PM me if you need help or manuals.

I've done my own bolt guns (Bench Rest) for years (usually with Remington actions), and have done my own AR and 1911A1, both from 100% receivers/frames (the Essex frame was still a fair amount of work to fit).

I've got 2 AK flats I've got to build yet. And a Garand (with a CMP receiver).

I don't know what the 20% not done is on the AR, but I can imagine it's a fair amount of machine work.

I don't believe there's any machine work, per se. Most of it is locating and drilling holes. I also believe the buffer tube hole has to be drilled and tapped. Plus you to "finish" the receiver with a coating or anodizing.

The biggest thing is there is no need for the FFL hassle as the receivers are not finished or serialized. All perfectly legal as I understand it.

TonyD said:
I don't believe there's any machine work, per se. Most of it is locating and drilling holes. I also believe the buffer tube hole has to be drilled and tapped. Plus you to "finish" the receiver with a coating or anodizing.

That would definitely be "doable".

TonyD said:
The biggest thing is there is no need for the FFL hassle as the receivers are not finished or serialized. All perfectly legal as I understand it.

You understand correctly. Just don't start building them with intent to sell.

Back
Top Bottom