Whataya think this SVI will cost me in 9mm?

I "borrowed" this pic from the SVI website:

Government Stainless 1911 Single Stack Pistol with Duotone Finish
svisinglestack.jpg

I don't know all the particulars of the internals on this pistol. I'm hoping the lack of compensators, magwells, etc., will help to keep the price within the stratosphere, not a full on, astronomical figure.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
This is a personal preference, but consider the difference between the durability and long term "tightness" of 4340 carbon steel vs. stainless. There is no free lunch - stainless is pretty, but carbon steel is a more durable metal. Ordering the blued version also saves a couple of hundred. Most of my SVIs are blued (one has the PVD coating), and one is stainless. If you're in the metrowest area, PM me if you want to meet to give them a test drive.

Submitted a design to SVI using their Gunbuilder program, I'll report back on the price they quote.

The one does not appear to have the radial flute, and has the "Enos Curved Up" trigger, not a curved trigger (this is the easiest part to change later at very little cost and no need to send the gun in). Once you have a pretty specific idea, call the factory and talk to Brandon - he really knows his stuff when it comes to options.

There is also an option of having SV engraved in the flat part of the cocking serration - not in the gunbuilder, but it looks really nice.

Also, if you're going to go to the expense of buying one of these, you may want to consider selecting your own serial number. My taste is for serial numbers that are "cool" (1911, 45, etc.) but not personalized with my name or anything making the gun less useful to whomever inherits it down the road.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Am I nuts for going 9mm? I don't own a .45 currently. I figured I'd order a 9mm so I could maintain ammo uniformity across my pistols.

Am I nuts for going 9mm? I don't own a .45 currently. I figured I'd order a 9mm so I could maintain ammo uniformity across my pistols.

I think 9mm is a great idea. I also think the pistol will cost around $3k.

Good luck,

-Cuz

Also, if you're going to go to the expense of buying one of these, you may want to consider selecting your own serial number.

Custom serial numbers are VERY cool. My wide body .45 has one.
I don't know what mine cost because I won it in a raffle, but I know they're EXPENSIVE.
T/C once offered custom serial numbers on the Contenders ordered through their custom shop at Fox Ridge Outfitters, but they don't offer this anymore.

They don't need to be....

Custom serial numbers are VERY cool. My wide body .45 has one.
I don't know what mine cost because I won it in a raffle, but I know they're EXPENSIVE.

Depends on what the mfr wants to charge above the incremental cost of stamping a non-consecutive number/letter string. Caspian Arms does custom S/N's for $52.99 additional. Doesn't seem EXPENSIVE to me. [wink]

I loved the look on the gunstore clerk's face when he couldn't locate the S/N on the frame he was transferring to me. I pointed out the "45ACP" on the right side but he was convinced that that was just the caliber designation and NOT a real S/N. (This on bare 1911 frame) [rofl][rofl]

The SVI you are looking at is beautiful, go for it.

First off, this puppy is going to run more than a bit more than $2K :).

You can also get this in a multi-caliber set. The interchangeable breechface means you can change calibers with a new breechface, barrel, magazine and ejector - with no need to have a second slide fitted. Its much easier to get this done when they build the gun than at a later time (chances are they'll make a sequential run of the two barrels for you - and yes, they make their own including the rifling).
Depends on what the mfr wants to charge above the incremental cost of stamping a non-consecutive number/letter string.
This is a fairly inexpensive option. Since all guns are made to order, it's not a big deal. Most of the SVI stuff is rather expensive. The custom serial number is an exception.
I loved the look on the gunstore clerk's face when he couldn't locate the S/N on the frame he was transferring to me. I pointed out the "45ACP" on the right side but he was convinced that that was just the caliber designation and NOT a real S/N. (This on bare 1911 frame)
I had to argue to get a clerk at a well-known gun shop who was transferring a wide body SVI frame to me to fill out a 4473. He told me it was not a frame (no grip, so it was not obvious to him it was a frame) since it had a caliber but no serial number. I suggested will fill out the 4473 and let the shop owner figure out what to do with it. He finally "got it" and did the paperwork correctly.

Last edited:
Depends on what the mfr wants to charge above the incremental cost of stamping a non-consecutive number/letter string. Caspian Arms does custom S/N's for $52.99 additional. Doesn't seem EXPENSIVE to me.

I was referring to the price of the whole gun, not just the cost of the custom serial number.

Back
Top Bottom