What would you use to refinish a M1 Carbine stock?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm at the final stages of putting back together my CMP M1 Carbine, but I'm not sure what I should use to refinish the stock. I've spent some time cleaning up all the dirt and gunk on the stock and I'd like to apply something to bring back the color of the wood. Not sure what that "something" should be. I have burnt lindseed oil and tung oil, but am not sure if I should use one of those or something else.

What would you use?

A few tips and techniques...

http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/refinishing.htm

I've tried both the linseed oil/beeswax and straight tung oil methods and prefer the latter.

On the most recent project I used about 5-6 applications of Formbys high gloss tung oil (I believe it also comes in a satin finish), and buffed each application out with 0000 steel wool and cotton rags. The outcome was a nice soft reflective sheen that was smooth but not slick (sorry if I couldn't describe it better).

FWIW... on an M1 carbine, I'd probably use a lower gloss/satin tung oil, only because it would probably look more appropriate for the firearm involved.

All of my milsurps have been cleaned, steel wooled with mineral spirits and coated with BOILED Linseed Oil. Each coat of BLO is allowed to dry overnight and then steel wooled with 0000 grade wool, before another coat is added. Repeat until the finish is where you want it...possibly 6-8 times.

This will get you back to an as original look as possible.

Here's a couple:
2m1s.jpg

I left mine on the dashboard for a couple days and used some stripper and mineral spirits to get the crud off. Lightly hit it with 000 steel wool and a few coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. Thinking about another coat, not sure how glossy I want it to wind up.
640x480.jpg

The only thing to be aware of the Miniwax and Formbey's is that they contain varnish. It you want to stay away from that, get pure tung oil. I got mine at a store in Newington,NH called Woodcraft. www.woodcraft.com

A pint is not cheap at about $15.00 but it lasts forever. I cut the first few coats with mineral spirits. A little goes a very long way.

Back
Top Bottom