What would you have paid for this M1917 Enfield?

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
I just picked up this M1917 from someone over on the CMP forums and it's still in-transit so I haven't seen it in person yet. (BTW, this is my first purchase with my FFL 03 C&R and it's really worth the money although I'm going to be poorer.)

I wanted a Winchester which I know tend to cost more because there is less supply. This one is a bit of a salad as there's Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone parts. The barrel was manufactured the same date as the S/N on the receiver indicates (June 1918) so could be original (but who knows for sure). Overall it looks like it's in pretty good condition and he said the bore was even better than it looked in the pics. Another member who just bought another rifle from him said it was just as described.

Been watching several auctions on Gun Broker to get an idea of what one of these was going for. Just curious (before I say what I paid and sway your opinion) what you might have paid for this rifle.

Some pictures attached below and some more here (all are his photos as I haven't received the rifle yet): https://flic.kr/s/aHsm155hDm

Thanks!

36442811925_60de7266dd_z.jpg

36274377182_e40ea21441_z.jpg

36442809285_e093174029_z.jpg

36442807225_c6f2f7a6ee_z.jpg

when i first started poking around for M1917 the high side was around 650 for your average good condition rifle. Now unless you get lucky they seem to start at $700

i'm guessing more than you did. DW617 got one for a song recently too! think he paid under $500.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, hah...didn't see he posted.

don't listen to him...he wouldn't bid more than $699 for that rifle [rofl]

Actually, this wasn't a, "Look at what a great deal I got" post. I think I probably overpaid a little or got it right at market value. Definitely not a deal. I paid $900 all-in including insured shipping. My justification was:

1. Of the completed GB auctions for Winchester and Remington (not Eddystone) they went (including shipping) for about $800-850 in the past week.
2. I wanted a Winchester since they are less common which brings a higher price tag.
3. It looked like it was in pretty good shape and in my conversation with the seller, it's been in his family since the 60s when his father used it in DCM matches so I know it was well cared for and didn't have multiple Bubbas hacking at it.
4. This seller had been on the forums a while and, like I mentioned in the post, just sold another rifle and the buyer was quite happy, so I knew I was dealing with someone honest.
5. I looked at various other sites and prices seemed up there (although these look exceptionally high to me): http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html?stID=62&sort=3a

All told, I definitely didn't get a "deal" but I think it'll be a nice rifle in good condition that I'll enjoy shooting. Will post pics and update when it arrives this weekend.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sir. that is a FINE looking rifle...and if it was owned by someone that used it for competitions, you can bet your bottom dollar it's in tip top shape mechanically. i wouldn't say you overpaid...you got a match rifle!

Actually, this wasn't a, "Look at what a great deal I got" post. I think I probably overpaid a little or got it right at market value. Definitely not a deal. I paid $900 all-in including insured shipping. My justification was:

1. Of the completed GB auctions for Winchester and Remington (not Eddystone) they went (including shipping) for about $800-850 in the past week.
2. I wanted a Winchester since they are less common which brings a higher price tag.
3. It looked like it was in pretty good shape and in my conversation with the seller, it's been in his family since the 60s when his father used it in DCM matches so I know it was well cared for and didn't have multiple Bubbas hacking at it.
4. This seller had been on the forums a while and, like I mentioned in the post, just sold another rifle and the buyer was quite happy, so I knew I was dealing with someone honest.
5. I looked at various other sites and prices seemed up there (although these look exceptionally high to me): http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html?stID=62&sort=3a

All told, I definitely didn't get a "deal" but I think it'll be a nice rifle in good condition that I'll enjoy shooting. Will post pics and update when it arrives this weekend.
as long as your happy and like you said you wanted XYZ and not ABC that generally limits your selection. I wish i bought when a very nice shooter was around $575.... looking forward to the range report

A little high, but not by a lot and seems like a very good one to have. If you ever even see another Winchester in such good shape with known provenance, I would be surprised if it goes for less.

I finally got around to taking this M1917 to the range and she's a beauty! It was taken very good care of, showed up clean and oiled, the stock with normal wear and tear but in great shape. Happy to have it. No regrets. Will post some pictures as soon as my "new" USGI sling comes in and I take some photos.

That's great & sounds like it was well maintained. I'm definitely enjoying the one I picked up from Majspud. Pretty accurate old beasts. How did yours shoot?

That's great & sounds like it was well maintained. I'm definitely enjoying the one I picked up from Majspud. Pretty accurate old beasts. How did yours shoot?

I was hitting the steel repeatedly both sitting and standing at 100 yards. I was also shooting at some clay discs that I laid on the berm and was at least in the vicinity. [wink] I'm no marksman and am still learning but since I did pretty well with it, I'd say it shot well. I need to setup a target at 100 yards and check my grouping. I will tell you that my shoulder was sore for a few days. Haha. Oh, and I'm left-handed so had fun operating that cock-on-close bolt. [grin]

Does anyone else hear crickets?

well im running about 3 -100 on shooters who at least show up and try.....and I had to pay those![smile]
I wont stop trying even though I cant get out much the more people who show up even a few times a year the better the chance the matches will keep running

well im running about 3 -100 on shooters who at least show up and try.....and I had to pay those![smile]
I wont stop trying even though I cant get out much the more people who show up even a few times a year the better the chance the matches will keep running

Yes, I was once a sponsored shooter. Mountain Miculek [rofl].

I'm not as accurate as Jerry, but I'm slower. [smile]

Congrats on the new Winchester.

Better to to spend the extra 100 and get the one you want I say. Next time you look at one it will be 200 more, or if you had bought a Remy you would end up getting another to add the Winchester you really wanted anyway.

Your doomed now btw, C&R is very expensive and habit forming. Milsurp will breed like rabbits.

This is a self defeating process. You researched and bought what you wanted at a price that at the time you thought was fair. Value is subjective and what you think is not what others think. Some people would value it lower just because they don't care for the rifle.

You bought it, savor the excitement of your first purchase, take possession, look it over and enjoy. That's all there is too it. Why sully it by thinking you paid too much using someone elses' idea of value.

Now make sure you have your bound book ready to enter in the purchase. One of the most important parts of the purchase.

Congrats on the new Winchester.

Better to to spend the extra 100 and get the one you want I say. Next time you look at one it will be 200 more, or if you had bought a Remy you would end up getting another to add the Winchester you really wanted anyway.

Your doomed now btw, C&R is very expensive and habit forming. Milsurp will breed like rabbits.

Yep. I now have the aforementioned M1917, 2 Garands (Springfield and WRA), and an M1 Carbine. I'd like to eventually have one each of the progression of US general issue rifles, of course civilian versions once select fire became a thing.

This is a self defeating process. You researched and bought what you wanted at a price that at the time you thought was fair. Value is subjective and what you think is not what others think. Some people would value it lower just because they don't care for the rifle.

You bought it, savor the excitement of your first purchase, take possession, look it over and enjoy. That's all there is too it. Why sully it by thinking you paid too much using someone elses' idea of value.

Now make sure you have your bound book ready to enter in the purchase. One of the most important parts of the purchase.

Yes, already took care of that part.

Yes, get out there and enjoy shooting it. Even if you paid a hundred bucks more than optimal, you now have it and it's yours to enjoy.
How many spend months delaying a purchase, just to get $50 to $100 lower prices?
There's got to be some worth to all that trigger time you'll gain. (Now you can worry about finding the best deal on ammo or contemplating reloading a wide variety of loads for that beast....)
Enjoy!

For that matter, if you're convenient to the Foxwoods area in CT, bring it down and shoot on my private 100-meter range. Reload bench onsite and I have a wide selection of ammo already loaded up - plastic, cast, coated, frangibles, sabots, even jacketed bullets!

pXRUmhMl.jpg

Last edited:
Several years ago I went to the BIG Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan and saw a rack full of milsurp bolt guns.
I went back Tuesday before flying out of DTW hoping to find an 03a3, a4, or M1917.
They DID have an Eddystone, but it was sporterized and I lack the experience to know whether it could cheaply be restored to as-issued condition. ($485 FWIW.)

They also had a CMP FIELD grade M1 (Springfield) with 5+ throat erosion and 3+ muzzle for $829.

For that matter, if you're convenient to the Foxwoods area in CT, bring it down and shoot on my private 100-meter range. Reload bench onsite and I have a wide selection of ammo already loaded up - plastic, cast, coated, frangibles, sabots, even jacketed bullets!

pXRUmhMl.jpg

Very much appreciate the offer. I'm about 1:30-1:45 from Foxwoods area and don't get down that way too often but will certainly keep it in mind. I'm jealous of your private range, however. What are the laws transporting from MA to CT with a long rifle (not sure if age matters) for someone licensed in MA but not CT?

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0001.htm
Being Revised in 2013, I don't think this is current (a Long Gun Permit is required to buy a long gun in CT now).

As for transporting a long gun in a POV:

Carrying Long Guns in Motor Vehicles: When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded. A violation is a class D misdemeanor (see Table on Penalties), punishable by imprisonment for up to 30 days, a fine of up to $250, or both (CGS § 53-205 as amended by PA 12-80). The provisions do not apply to members of the military while on duty or travelling to or from assignments enforcement officers, security guards, or other people employed to protect property while in the performance of their duties.

Since your m1917 is less lethal and more socially acceptable, you can carry it down to my range in your vehicle . I'd not bother with any AR's or other "more-deadly" firearms that could be problematic in CT. Personally, I refuse to even consider buying any "black" (evil, etc.) gun, until I move out of this State.

On another note, a shop over by Foxwoods has a 1917 on the rack (they did a month or so back, at least). Don't recall the year or price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom